Question before I start cycling tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question before I start cycling tank

I made the mistake of saving up a bunch of RO water for this new 45g before I learned that bacteria need what is in tap water. Having said that, is there anything I will need to do to treat or condition the water before beginning a fishless cycle? If it matters, I plan on using pure ammonia. As far as a starting source of bacteria, just what comes in eco-complete and I was also provided some small starter balls with the biohome media I purchased that will go in the canister filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You need to treat the tap water with some dechlorinator. Some thing like Seachem Prime is a good product.
And wow that is a lot of RO water. People rarely use RO water in freshwater tanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 02:51 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@JohnsTank, in my opinion I would not worry about using RO water to cycle your tank. Save it for later when you get to the point of adding fish. Your bigger issue will be knowing what the amount of ammonia is in your ammonia source. Once you know how much ammonia is in your source, you can use this calculator to determine how much ammonia to add. I cycle at 4-5ppm until the nitrites show up then back it down to 3ppm. As demonstrated in this thread Matrix without Seachem you can end up adding an amazing amount of ammonia to most setups.

As for adding bacteria in a bottle, read the instructions carefully. Most work if you add the product, wait 24 hours then add fish. If you are doing a fishless cycle it does not work to add bacteria in a bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercrayfish View Post
People rarely use RO water in freshwater tanks.
Not necessarily true, I use RO/DI water on my tanks as a habit from my salt water days.

The RO/DI water is basically a blank slate for whatever gh/kh/tds levels you want that way.

All my top off water is RO/DI too.

Just fill the tank with the RO water, if that is what you want, and adjust the gh/kh levels to suit whatever you are keeping then start your fishless cycle. I normally add plants and a 1/4 of the pps pro ferts right up front and start dosing the ammonia.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calestus View Post
Just fill the tank with the RO water, if that is what you want, and adjust the gh/kh levels to suit whatever you are keeping then start your fishless cycle. I normally add plants and a 1/4 of the pps pro ferts right up front and start dosing the ammonia.
I ordered the pps pro tonight. Thanks for that tip. Can I ask you or anyone else who might read this if I can get more specific information on what you mean when you say, "adjust the gh/kh levels to suit whatever you are keeping". I haven't decided on what fish I will be buying yet. Probably fish from my local Petsmart. As far as plants, I was going to look in the classifieds here for someone who can sell me a starter package of sorts. Are there some general guidelines for water parameters that fits most situations? If anyone has any online articles as well, it would be helpful. Thanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsTank View Post
I ordered the pps pro tonight. Thanks for that tip. Can I ask you or anyone else who might read this if I can get more specific information on what you mean when you say, "adjust the gh/kh levels to suit whatever you are keeping". I haven't decided on what fish I will be buying yet. Probably fish from my local Petsmart. As far as plants, I was going to look in the classifieds here for someone who can sell me a starter package of sorts. Are there some general guidelines for water parameters that fits most situations? If anyone has any online articles as well, it would be helpful. Thanks.
KH and GH are often mentioned together and they are related but not the same. I would advise doing a little research on it as some believe that they play a more important role than even ph, but I'll offer some generalizations. KH basically measures how stable your ph is. The lower the KH the more unstable the higher the more stable. This can really factor in if you're trying to adjust the ph in anything other than RODI water.
GH is a measurement of hardness. Generally speaking for planted aquaria the recommended GH is anywhere between 3-6 °dKH. However I've grown plants that are said to require soft water in values much higher. Where it does come into play however is with the livestock. Again generally speaking, fish that are classified as preferring hard water will have an easier time adjusting to soft water than vice versa. However, and important in your case, some of the more readily available species such as guppies and mollies prefer hard water and become prone to developing fungal infections if kept in soft water. I've unfortunately experienced this myself.

Lastly, if your going to fishless cycle, I would start with a both a higher KH and GH than you will eventually aim for. The bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle prefer higher pH (>7.0) and temperature. It's also been my experience that you will want to monitor your waters KH while cycling as the bacteria will use up the minerals in the water and cause a decrease in the KH.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you very much Pattern.

While I was searching for the Seachem Equilibrium, I found this product. Since I won't be using RO exclusively in the future, I think this will serve as an inexpensive means to treat my 45g of RO water.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-15-2016 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsTank View Post
Thank you very much Pattern.

While I was searching for the Seachem Equilibrium, I found this product. Since I won't be using RO exclusively in the future, I think this will serve as an inexpensive means to treat my 45g of RO water.
Be advised that product ONLY does GH.

KH is influenced by the carbonates.

PM me, I'm sure we can work out a deal for KH/GH stuff as well as a plant package.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Algae Grower

Do you have another tank with a canister or sump? just take some filter media out of them for your new filter and let it run should be good to go in a week's time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode