How do you get that clean look you see in photos? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you get that clean look you see in photos?

Ok, so I'm working on planning a topless planted tank setup and was wondering what filtration to use. I was looking through some photos of my favorites examples of fine aquascaping and noticed that none of them had any visible signs of filtration. Do they just remove their filtration for the photo or is there something I'm missing?

I was thinking about using a sump to minimize the equipment in the tank, but even then the overflow and return will be visible.

What do you use to get the least noticeable equipment in your tank?

Here's a photo to give you an axample of what my setup will be like. Obviously it's going to be exactly like this, but it will be similar with mostly low growing plants. Also, it will be on a much smaller scale since I'm using a 20g long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
The equipment has been removed for the photos. Generally these tanks use glass Lily pipe for the intake and return. You can use an inline heater with a canister filter to get the heater out of the tank. Good luck on your set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Yes for contest shots all equipment is pulled and a hair dryer or small fan is used to produce the rippled water effect. Sometimes backgrounds are even changed. It is a bit insane but it is a huge deal since thousands of people see these pictures.

If you want minimal equipment visible you can use a sump and or closed loop filtration system with a drilled tank. Some members here do this.

Welcome by the way

-Andrew

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info.

I'm just going to make a cheap DIY sump, they're easy enough and I can run a few tanks off it.

Wow, those lily pipes are expensive, I may have to look for a DIY solution.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
yes you can use clear acrylic, fill with sand or salt while you heat and bend

Also for a lush tank like that you need c02. Or be very carful with plant selections. IMO you will never be happy with your tank without co2 if you are aspiring to something like that. And sumps and co2 dont mix well.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo View Post
Wow, those lily pipes are expensive, I may have to look for a DIY solution.
Check out eBay for inexpensive lily pipes that are a fraction of the price of ADA ones.

Tony

My

and my

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I keep forgetting to check ebay when I need new equipment
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Check out eBay for inexpensive lily pipes that are a fraction of the price of ADA ones.

thats what i do. just make sure you order insurance for it when you order them from overseas. the last two glass products that i ordered should have been broken based on the ball that the boxes arrived in. it was a miracle that anything came out of those boxes in one piece
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Absolute minimum for equipment showing is to have the tank drilled. But if that's not feasible you could also use a black background with black intake and you wouldn't really see it. The lily pipes are good as well, but they will need to be cleaned and won't always been 'invisible'.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My African tank has a black backround with black overflow and return for my sump and it works great. But for my planted tank I wanted to do a light colored background, maybe an "off white".
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I cleverly painted my substrate level spray bar black then decided to go with the beige wall behind the tank as a back drop. It isn't as obtrusive as I thought it would be - it is getting covered by plants. The down pipe just looks like a reflection of the black silicone corner of the tank. I painted a cover for the lighting cords the color of the wall as they must go down the center of the tank, looks just like a shadow. Match the background to the plumbing!

My acrylic overflow cleans up nice. I would trust myself with acrylic pipes rather than glass. Once the tank gets going you may not need to clean piping weekly but the more handling the more likely there will be a tragic accident.

I love my sump, the perfect water surface, never topping off and all the equipment out of the tank. How could you use a sump with lily pipes?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't know much about lily pipes but why couldn't you just use them the same way you would with a canister? You would just need to add an overflow setup in the back out of pvc or acrylic, but it wouldn't be visible if you had a painted background.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode