Newbie with a 28 gal JBJ cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Newbie with a 28 gal JBJ cube

Hi all, brand new to planted aquariums and needing help. I've had aquariums for 30 years, including reef and SW fish only tanks as well as many FW fish tanks. The past 7 years I've not had an aquarium, so a bit rusty on some things.
I got an incredible deal on a new JBJ 28 gal with stand, and the CF quad lamps.
My questions:
The light, the CF quad lamp is 105 watt, giving me 3.75 watts/gallon, but the lights are 10000/7500K combos. Will this be ok? I've read that this is too blue and will generate algae growth and I need to run 6700K lights. Other articles say anything between 5000 and 10000 K will work fine?
I haven't set the tank up yet, and hope to add the substrate and water tonight after I get home from work to start the cycle process.
I have one bag of Fluorite, and 3 bags of RedSea flora base substrate - I'm aiming for a 4 inch deep layer.
Once I get the substrate and water in, how long before I can add some plants to help get the cycling started? 24 hours?
Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Your lighting to me sounds like a great spectrum for plant growth. However, you've got so MUCH light that this will be far from a low tech tank; you're going to need CO2- and likely pressurized CO2 or perhaps DIY CO2 and Excel together- along with a comprehensive fertilizer regimen to keep up with that much light.

You can plant even before you fill the tank up completely. On a tank this size I'd probably fill it about 2/3 and then do my planting before topping it off- less spills LOL There's no reason to wait and let the tank run empty first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Lauralee - that was my other question, re: C02.

I guess I won't be a low tech tank then? lol. I haven't invested in a CO2 set up yet of course, will I need that immediately or in a few weeks when the tank is more settled?
And will the DIY sugar/yeast set up be enough?

I have a 2 gal betta tank I bought with a betta a month ago (which is what started the whole "Oh I want a planted tank" obsession. The other day I did buy 3 moss balls, a java fern, a hunk of java moss, and what I believe is a hygrophilia, which are waiting in the betta tank to be planted in the new tank - so I'll do that tonight as well.
I also have two nice pieces of driftwood that have been soaking for over a week now.
I'm off monday and plan on buying more plants from my LFS (a privately owned and knowlegeable store).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

You can try DIY, but your light is so high I think it's going to be quite a bit of work to make sure that your CO2 levels get and remain stable enough to not cause issues...

And you'll want to get that ASAP, otherwise you're risking a losing war with algae.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok, I got the substrate down and filled the tank last night. I only needed 3 bags of the substrate. The larger piece of driftwood is a bit too big and overwhelms the tank, so I'll swap that out for the smaller piece this evening. I dropped the java fern and 3 marimo balls into the tank as well.
And...I just ordered a CO2 kit (minus the tank) from Drs. Foster and Smith - just need to get a needle valve and the tank and I should be set.
Thanks Laurlee for your advice - now that I realize this isn't going to be a "low tech" tank
(heck I thought it was also a nano tank, 29 gal is small compared to my past tanks which were all >75 gal), I'll direct future questions to the appropriate spot.
Kip
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The CO2 system I thought I had ordered, is on back order and won't be available until the end of May.
So off to hunt for another affordable system.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Try www.GreenLeafAquariums.com

[And you can always PM a mod if you want them to move this thread out of the Low Tech forum]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode