Citric Acid CO2 - Lots of questions!! >_< - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Citric Acid CO2 - Lots of questions!! >_<

I'm trying to learn about injecting CO2 in my tank. I still have a lot of questions, so please bear with me and please help out where you can!

If my light is only providing medium light, do I still want to have 30 ppm of CO2 in my tank? Will DIY CO2 provide that much? If I run a longer photoperiod (8 or more hours), will that be beneficial or harmful?

I'm planning on using a drop checker and a bubble counter to measure CO2 levels. I have a ceramic disc diffuser. Where is the best place to put the diffuser? Near the intake (so that the bubbles go into the canister filter), in the back bottom under the spray bar? The water movement in my tank is in a circular motion from front to bottom to back to top to front again.

I don't have a solenoid or a regulator of any sorts, just a needle valve to control CO2 amounts and a pressure gauge. Can I just set it and forget it? Will fish suffocate at night? 1bps, 2bps, 3bps?

Sorry for all the questions. There's no one place that any of this is addressed. I'm in no rush to start, but would like to gather enough information so that I don't kill of my fish or have a huge algae outbreak. As you can tell, I'm a total n00b to CO2. TIA!

Love your tanks and they will love you back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...-soda-co2.html should answer a lot of your questions.

With medium light, where medium is from about 45 - 60 PAR, you don't need to supply a full 30 ppm of CO2. You will see a big improvement in the plants growth if you add as little as 10 ppm, maybe even less. Because DIY CO2 isn't adjustable well enough to give you the same amount of CO2 every day during the lights on time, you need to dose Excel or Metricide along with the CO2. Otherwise you get BBA since it is often triggered to start by fluctuating CO2.

My favorite diffuser is a Hagen Elite mini underwater filter, with the filter media removed, and the CO2 tube jammed into a hole through the filter media holder. It works best if it is low in the tank.

With citric acid DIY CO2 you can use a cheap solenoid valve to shut off the CO2 at night, not because you need to, but to stretch out the time between recharging the acid and soda bottles. A pressure gauge is also useful.

A drop checker, used with 1 dKH water in it is also very useful, since it will turn green at around 10 ppm of CO2.

I'm using citric acid CO2 on my 65 gallon low-medium light tank now, and the last couple of pages in that thread describes my adventures with it.

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...-soda-co2.html should answer a lot of your questions.

With medium light, where medium is from about 45 - 60 PAR, you don't need to supply a full 30 ppm of CO2. You will see a big improvement in the plants growth if you add as little as 10 ppm, maybe even less. Because DIY CO2 isn't adjustable well enough to give you the same amount of CO2 every day during the lights on time, you need to dose Excel or Metricide along with the CO2. Otherwise you get BBA since it is often triggered to start by fluctuating CO2.

My favorite diffuser is a Hagen Elite mini underwater filter, with the filter media removed, and the CO2 tube jammed into a hole through the filter media holder. It works best if it is low in the tank.

With citric acid DIY CO2 you can use a cheap solenoid valve to shut off the CO2 at night, not because you need to, but to stretch out the time between recharging the acid and soda bottles. A pressure gauge is also useful.

A drop checker, used with 1 dKH water in it is also very useful, since it will turn green at around 10 ppm of CO2.

I'm using citric acid CO2 on my 65 gallon low-medium light tank now, and the last couple of pages in that thread describes my adventures with it.
Thank you Hoppy! I will definitely read that thread and see if I can wrap my head around this whole thing. All I've been able to read up on is highlight with 30ppm, which I can understand if you are using pressurized CO2, but that doesn't always apply, so just what you've provided is great info!

I actually ran into this thread a while ago but only read about 10 pages lol. I skipped to the end to read what you have posted. I'll have to browse through it again to see if I can gain more bits of info.

Love your tanks and they will love you back

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-13-2016 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode