Supplies you buy on Amazon - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Supplies you buy on Amazon

As someone with very few LFS nearby, I order occasionally off amazon. What are some things you all have found or frequently purchase via amazon prime? Thought this discussion might be useful for us who are LFS challenged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
It would be anything and everything. I actually prefer to buy from eee-bay since companies live and die by feedback. They bend over backwards to make it right if something goes wrong.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't have Amazon prime but do order from Amazon.
I order all my liquid ferts from Amazon as well as fish food and many supplies just like the above post.
The price is cheaper than many LFS.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've ordered Prime, canister filters, heaters, power heads, NLS and other assorted foods, and more. Those are just off the top of my head. My wife just ordered a new hob since our dog chewed the motor on her old one and I'll likely order another power head tonight.

Their prices are difficult to beat. My local store (not the one forty minutes away) does not carry eheim parts or filters, nls food, or the particular power head or heater I was after and I can't always travel forty minutes to buy that stuff.

Amazon started recommending SS tweezers, scissors, etc for me that I didn't even know they sold. I've been looking out for deals on them recently and they're a great price with decent reviews. Unfortunately I don't have the $$ to fork out on $30-$60 tools from GLA when Amazon appears to sell something that would do the trick for considerably less.

It's unfortunate because I recognize the value in an LFS and know without our support they'll cease to exist, but my interest in aquariums is just that. A lot of my purchases in this hobby are driven by a combination of price and perceived value, with price more often edging out other factors, with the exceptions being my eheim filters which I've enjoyed since my father introduced me to the hobby and my recent purchase of a CO2 system where I Splurged.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
be it something for the aquarium hobby or diapers for my baby; amazon is almost always my first and only stop. You can even order live aquatic plants on amazon!....and this forum wont delete the word amazon the way it will with e b a y when you're not clever lol

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hard to find locally fish food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Amazon used to be my go-to place for aquarium supplies, then I started to notice that prices were higher than they used to be. I find that prices are consistently lower on DrsFosterSmith and they've recently dropped their free shipping to orders totaling $19+. Shipping takes longer, but I usually am able to order in advance of when it becomes an emergency.
N2uqs and N2uqs like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sadly my favorite local fish store went out of business awhile back. Right about when I started a new job and had money together for getting back into this hobby too. It sucks, but I did buy a tank and filter from them. They had a hefty markup compared to online prices, but that's the only way a store can stay in business. Now another good pet store is going out too. Amazon is so big now, they actually lose money on all the Free 2nd Day shipping for prime members. They can deal with making <$1 profit on items since they sell so many unit of everything. A small shop has to sell at MSRP or higher, which in return makes people say no way and go buy it online.

I've ordered a LOT of stuff directly from China on Ebay and Amazon, I feel bad about it, but it is business. I have things coming to my door almost on a daily basis. Some stuff, like the long reach aquarium scissors and tweezers, yeah, just get the $1.99 ones straight from China. I laugh at those tweezers ADA, GLA, AFA sell for like forty bucks a piece. The scissors I can justify though.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Most of the time, when I need something, I don't have time to spare waiting for Amazon to get around to shipping my order (they take for flipping ever if you do the free shipping and aren't a Prime subscriber). Mostly, I get odds and ends that I can't find locally, like the suction cup tank divider holders or a package of lid supports for a rimless tank. Most of my fish food I get from Angels plus, my filter pads, I get cut to fit at petsmart when I'm picking up cat food, the Prime, I got a liter at my favorite LFS. May be a while before I need any. Airline gets tossed in the walmart buggy when getting groceries...

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

I've order food before on there, substrate, filter media, canister filters, HOB filters, air pumps, different chemicals such as Prime, and lastly I've even ordered a whole tank from Amazon when it was on sale. I will say that the two day shipping is a major plus and honestly it's lower prices (minus the tanks) on items than in various stores that don't want to compete with Amazon's prices.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Algae Grower

I don't have much for stores near me either, so I get everything on Amazon. Substrate, chemicals, lights, heaters, filters, pumps, food. I highly recommend using a browser extension that shows the pricing history of items on Amazon. It also allows you to set up alerts for when the price drops. I use an extension called Keepa for Firefox and Chrome. You can also get 5% back on all your Amazon purchases if you get the Amazon Store Card.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just found microworms on amazon, they came in today! I've also found daphnia (not the carolina brand), and relatively cheap(er) brine shrimp cysts. Also, some hard to find rigid airline tubing (that I never bought...). Really good to find when you're the only person interested in breeding fish that don't take BBS as first food.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Plants :eebay
Fish: LFS
Tanks: Petco
Amazon: Litterally everything else. Heaters, filters, etc.
Econde and Econde like this.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Cheap electronic stuff, e-bay
The rest of the stuff I need I normally just swap some fish for at the LFS.
I rather support the shops close to me, to make sure they keep stocking stuff.
Also place orders for stuff with them that they don't have in stock, and go fetch it.

When I buy a heater for instance, and it stops working, or leaks. I want to be able to get in my car, drive to the LFS I bought it from and be back with a new unit plugged in, in under 20 minutes. All the money amazon could save you in a situation like that is false economy.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't use Prime as it is not a value to me but there are a number of things which I buy from Amazon. Things that I do not need immediately or can't find better values at other places. I find many things cheaper at local stores when I shop fully.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode