Do you have a fish that drives you crazy? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you have a fish that drives you crazy?

Some people believe that fish do not have the cortex to display distinct personality types. I used to be one of these people.
Until I got Goldy
My female Aphyosemion australe
She is really driving me crazy
If there is any situation she can get her self in trouble with she will, while other fish hide from obvious danger like the gravel vac she just heads in full speed ahead!
She some how swam up into my DIY water polisher and I mean she didn't just get sucked up by accident, she found a small opening and went for it! ( now put panty hose over the intake)
she almost always gets sucked up in the gravel vac.
When I put co2 in she chased the bubbles on the bubble count and the diffuser for at least an hour.
Just now I had the pump turned of to feed live food and she swam up and into the lily pipe. I didn't even realize until I turned the pump on and she came squirting out!
Right now she's hanging out near the surface, no visible injuries but not lookin so good. It could be a lack of oxygen from being stuck in the pipe or some internal injuries.I hope she survives I may train her to eat from my hand.
Any one else with fish that make you want to tare your hair out?

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

Red Tail Sharks are pretty cool
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubble13 View Post
Some people believe that fish do not have the cortex to display distinct personality types. I used to be one of these people.
Until I got Goldy
My female Aphyosemion australe
She is really driving me crazy
If there is any situation she can get her self in trouble with she will, while other fish hide from obvious danger like the gravel vac she just heads in full speed ahead!
She some how swam up into my DIY water polisher and I mean she didn't just get sucked up by accident, she found a small opening and went for it! ( now put panty hose over the intake)
she almost always gets sucked up in the gravel vac.
When I put co2 in she chased the bubbles on the bubble count and the diffuser for at least an hour.
Just now I had the pump turned of to feed live food and she swam up and into the lily pipe. I didn't even realize until I turned the pump on and she came squirting out!
Right now she's hanging out near the surface, no visible injuries but not lookin so good. It could be a lack of oxygen from being stuck in the pipe or some internal injuries.I hope she survives I may train her to eat from my hand.
Any one else with fish that make you want to tare your hair out?
I have observed personality in some of my fish and both personality and intelligence in all of my Bettas. There is a training kit you can use to train Bettas and goldfish to do things like roll a ball around or go through a hoop: R2 Fish School Training Kit There was even a company that made a car piloted by a goldfish: This 'Fish Car' Lets A Goldfish Drive Around | Popular Science

I wish the fish car was for sale. I would love to watch my Bettas wander around the house.
Monrankim and Monrankim like this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
I have observed personality in some of my fish and both personality and intelligence in all of my Bettas. There is a training kit you can use to train Bettas and goldfish to do things like roll a ball around or go through a hoop: R2 Fish School Training Kit There was even a company that made a car piloted by a goldfish: This 'Fish Car' Lets A Goldfish Drive Around | Popular Science

I wish the fish car was for sale. I would love to watch my Bettas wander around the house.
A fish car , now that does sound cool!

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

One of my female bettas jumps out of the tank at least twice a week during feedings. Sometimes multiple times in one day. She just never learns. Luckily the tank is close to the floor.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy3392 View Post
One of my female bettas jumps out of the tank at least twice a week during feedings. Sometimes multiple times in one day. She just never learns. Luckily the tank is close to the floor.
Well, if the fish can't figure out how to prevent this, maybe the fish keeper should step in and lend a hand.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Well, if the fish can't figure out how to prevent this, maybe the fish keeper should step in and lend a hand.
I do as much as possible to prevent it from happening, yet she still does it. The tank is well covered and I feed and put the lid back down as quickly as I can. I've tried lowering the water level too, but she is just that stong of a jumper. Luckily the tank sits on the floor and is on carpet, so the fall doesn't hurt her. When it happens I just grab her off the floor with my hand and plop her back in the tank. She goes about her business as if nothing happened.
ScubaSteve and ScubaSteve like this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Today she was swimming into the current of the out flow lily pipe. Perhaps its just her instinct, she is the dominant female after all. She must go where no one has gone before!

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436

Last edited by hubble13; 08-14-2016 at 04:30 AM. Reason: added
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

I have a cherry barb who seriously just likes doing somersaults for no apparent reason. Thought it had something to do with his swim bladder but he proves to be able to swim properly when he wants. He just really likes somersaulting.

I water change in the nude.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My denisonii barbs like ripping out every carpet plant i try (HC, DHG, Hydrocotyle), only plant that manage to stay put are my S. Repens. I guess they might be foraging for more food

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Try feeding them small pieces of dry nori sheets, about a fingernail's worth at a time.
I just ask the guy making sushi at the supermarket for any off-cuts to feed my fish.
They are possibly looking for more vegetable matter in their diet. Almost all my fish will take nori.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Recently I had a pump failure in my 29gal (long story) I had to pull out all the bio media and put it in media bags with an air stone underneath. Everyone was unhappy, all the shrimp and fish were hiding except my panda corys, they were riding the bubble stream like a playground ride it was hilarious.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judeamarco View Post
I have a cherry barb who seriously just likes doing somersaults for no apparent reason. Thought it had something to do with his swim bladder but he proves to be able to swim properly when he wants. He just really likes somersaulting.

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I did a tear out and rescape with my fish in the tank about 3-4 months ago. My rainbows are fine and come up to the glass every time I approach, but my cories (six of them) bolt away cramming themselves into any crack available.

Wish I could do something about this...

Love your tanks and they will love you back
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

If I need to get a photo of my 20 H for my journal, the tetras all gang up and scrunch together where the camera lens is, so I get seriously photo-bombed by my fish when I go to take a progress photo.

It's not like I ignore them, and they're really happy, well fed. They just do this one annoying thing.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead View Post
I did a tear out and rescape with my fish in the tank about 3-4 months ago. My rainbows are fine and come up to the glass every time I approach, but my cories (six of them) bolt away cramming themselves into any crack available.

Wish I could do something about this...
Cory's do that, well except for big mamma cory in my tank, she knows I feed them, and comes up to me. Wearing bright coloured clothing really gives them a good fright though.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode