Problem with CO2 Advanced System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Problem with CO2 Advanced System

I've never heard of this problem before so I was wondering if anybody could help me out.

I'm using the ADA CO2 advanced system on my 30-c. I manually turn it off every night and on again in the morning. When I turn the CO2 back on though, the sudden release pushes water out of the bubble counter up the tubing where it collects in the bottom of the diffuser. After a couple of times, the diffuser fills up, the gas cant escape, and one of the tubes ends up popping off to release the pressure.

Has anybody experienced this problem before? Is there a certain way it should be set up to prevent this from happening? I have it set up on my desk next to the aquarium with about a foot of pressure resistant tubing to the check vavle from the ball valve, 4 or 5 inches of silicone tubing to the bubble counter which is attached a third of the way up the side of the tank, and then another foot and a half of silicone tubing to the diffuser which is at the bottom of the tank underneath a HOB intake. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any help,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
the bubble counter should be half full, decrease the bubble rate at 3/sec or less, put a check valve between the regulator and diffuser

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
You have a leak somewhere... The silicone tubing could be it. I would find clear CO2 tubing. Also, a check valve closer to the aquarium would likely fix it all.

You could get a fancy glass check valve if you want it to look good close to the tank.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevenson2k View Post
When I turn the CO2 back on though, the sudden release pushes water out of the bubble counter up the tubing where it collects in the bottom of the diffuser. After a couple of times, the diffuser fills up, the gas cant escape, and one of the tubes ends up popping off to release the pressure.
My glass diffuser with a ceramic disc always fills up with water every night (though I have a check valve between it and the bubble counter, so the water can't make it back any further than that).

It has never seemed to be a problem for me. Wouldn't the pressure of the gas force the water through the pores of the diffuser disc anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevenson2k View Post
I have it set up on my desk next to the aquarium with about a foot of pressure resistant tubing to the check vavle from the ball valve, 4 or 5 inches of silicone tubing to the bubble counter which is attached a third of the way up the side of the tank, and then another foot and a half of silicone tubing to the diffuser which is at the bottom of the tank underneath a HOB intake. Does that sound about right?
By ball valve, I assume you mean metering valve. Also, I assume you are using an inline bubble counter (from the sounds of how you describe it).

You may want to place another check valve between the bubble counter and the diffuser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
You have a leak somewhere... The silicone tubing could be it. I would find clear CO2 tubing.
I don't think the silicone tubing would be a cause for this problem you are having.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
welcome to the site! i love other people from ma!

im having that problem too. i think the problem is entirely in the silicone tubing (that i'm using too). the silicone tubing starts to swell with the pressure and just sort of expands off of the fittings, i've watched it happen. it's popped off of my check valve and also popped off of the diffusor and shot out of the tank. there is water that backs up my line too, maybe there is a connection between the too.

i'm going to try using different air lines. i'll let you know how it goes
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think the problem may be the silicone tubing as well. Every morning I see that there is water that has drained from the bubble counter into the silicone tubing, but it never goes further than the check valve. This makes me think that CO2 is leaking out of the silicone tubing at night, allowing water to enter, and then when I turn the CO2 back on it shoots out past the bubble counter and ends up stuck in the bottom of the diffuser.

I'm not sure what I should do though. The instructions that came with the system say to only use the silicone tubing to attach to the glass pieces (the bubble counter). I don't think I'd be able to attach clear pressure resistant tubing unless it was heated...

I could do that, but to my knowledge I have the system set up properly and it shouldn't require that. I drained some water from the bubble counter today so that it is less than half full, I'll see if that makes a difference.

And I notice that when water fills the bottom of the diffuser, CO2 bubbles aren't coming out of it, so I think that the pressure does build up and eventually pops of a tube somewhere along the line.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
The simplest solution is to do as you are - keep the water below the half line point of the bubble counter.

Are you using the default diffuser that came with the advanced system? If so that particular diffuser isn't very good at keeping a tube attached to it, I keep it as a back-up at best. That is easily solved by getting a diffuser which has a glass input going up as opposed to going down for the tube to attach to.

The water creeping down the tubing is perfectly normal when the co2 is off - that's why you have a check valve to prevent that water from getting into the regulator.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
the water in the tubing is creating a water hammer when the gas turns on. try turning the working preasure down a tad, and move the check valve closer the the difusor. that should help keep less water in the line when the gas is off.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i just bought a different brand of silicone tubing. its definately more rigid and isnt swelling and popping off... yet. i'll post bck tomorrow
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Here is the tubing that I use and it works great. The fittings are prestolok so you just push the tubing in and you are done. The three that are here are
1/4" npt male, female and a connector. They also come in just about every config that you would need.

Last edited by Airphotog; 09-05-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode