Evicted Pleco after eating my blyxa - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Evicted Pleco after eating my blyxa

Last night my pleco had to be evicted from my planted tank. Iīm mad at the guy

Last weekend I spot treated an anubias with excel for bba and my gorgeous, difficult to grow but awesome blyxa japonica got a bit affected on some leaves after treating the anubias besides it.

My pleco went nuts and started eating it and uprooting it making quite some damage. He had never eaten any plant in the tank before and I feed him very well (blanched zuchini, spinach, pleco tabs, asparragus).

So now he lives for a short time with my silver dollars and another pleco (heīs leaving for good, back to the LFS)

You think the blyxa can recover from the attack? It was truly gorgeous before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have mercy on the Pleco! He has no idea what vegetable matter in your tank is ornamentally desirable. All he knows is what is tasty.

Sure he's going back to the pet store, but that's probably a death sentence if an inexperienced aquarist buys him. They'll probably just dutifully feed him pellets until he develops bloat and dies.

Tom
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL

Hopefully he will find a good home... I had to prune the blyxa, cut the stems and replant in hopes it will come back.

I traded the pleco for a bulldog pleco. Never had one but I researched it and saw that they stay small and are good with plants (hopefully).

The regular pleco was never intented to stay long term, had to get him to help with a brown algae bloom months ago when I just set up the tank

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
i hate it when my fish eat my plants. many fish were given away for that exact reason!
but i dont bring fish back to the lfs. its surely a death sentence. ill give em away to a fellow hobbiest instead.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I too am guilty of getting rid of alot of plecos once they hit about 8 inches. Alot of people that come into a LFS have oscars and dempseys and other "monster" fish and really appreciate a sizable pleco so thier monsters dont pick on it. Its like fish recycling and seems to me to be the right thing to do. Not everyone that comes into the LFS is a moron about fishkeeping. The Blyxa will recover just fine if you trim the rotten parts and replant it. For me theyre kinda finicky and may need to be planted more than once but mine usually recover. Grow out my take a little time. Good luck to you!

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. I agree the LFS is not a death sentence. There are people who donīt know how to care about fish but also many experienced people that may want a larger pleco to keep their tanks algae free.

The problem with plecos around here is that only the common plecos are regularly available, itīs very hard to find other species. Bristlenoses are impossible to find, and actually the bulldog pleco I got, itīs the first time I have seen one, so one is stuck with having to buy a small regular pleco for cleanup purposes and having to take him out when he starts getting to big.

Even ottos are pretty scarce, out of the 3 I bought I got over 3 months ago, only one survived, one dissappeared and the other died a week after during quarantine. I havenīt been able to find more ottos to keep company to my poor loner.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I once evicted a Dalmatian molly for tearing a few of my female bettas apart.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Itīs been 3 weeks since I evicted the pleco and guess what: I now have brown and green algae growing on my anubias and on the glass (the glass is easy to clean with a magnet).

I have one otto (I know I should have 6, but they are impossible to find around here, I had 3 and lost 2 unfortunately) and a bulldog pleco, but both of them seem to ignore the diatoms... I though they were supposed to love it. Any ideas?

Iīd love to get either a group of ottos or a BN Pleco but here in Mexico they are impossible to find (took me months to find the 3 ottos). I could go again and get a 1" regular pleco, let it live til it reaches 4" and then evict it again, but I would like something that works longer term... itīs a boomer that I canīt find a good algae eater around here. Common plecos and chinese algae eaters are the common thing and both grow to amazing sizes...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
In my tanks, otos specialized in diatoms. They tend to do better in groups and will school every once in a while (believe it is stress induced). I would add a couple more to keep that lil guy happy and tank cleaner. Don't worry too much about diatoms thought, they seem to usually kinda fade out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ordered 6 more to the LFS, they promised to try to find me more. Itīs just amazing how limited we are around here when it comes to algae eating fish... and common plecos are just miniature monsters waiting to outgrow any tank.

I donīt understand why they are so over exploted when they are clearly not suitable for home aquaria
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
What about snails? I think otos do a better job but snails help.

Common plecos are like oscars and pacus. Cute when they are small.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also have one small snail (unknown species or where he came from). I think my problem is that I need more small algae eaters but they are not easily available.

The bulldog pleco has been a big dissapointment, he barely moves! I donīt what he feeds on or if he actually moves during the night. The otto is very active at least.

Guess itīs getting a group of 6-7 ottos and hope they survive...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

i had a common pleco too, when i realized just how big he was going to grow (after he tripled in size), i passed him along to a buddy with a 72 gallon unplanted tank. if the local fish shop sold me him i was sure they'd sell him to someone else with a 10 gallon

Filstar pimp #116! aka Neven elsewhere
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v2 planted community; 10G guppies;
nano; 2.5G Betta
old scapes:
v1;
v3;
v2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode