Is my stock list alright? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Coral Keeper Send a message via Yahoo to Coral Keeper
Is my stock list alright?

Don't think I'm going to be setting up a 40 breeder, but a 25 gallon tall, dimensions are 24" long, 12" wide, and 20.5" high. It will be a medium-heavily planted tank with a big canister filter. Will change water every few days.
Stock list:
1 or 2 Speckled Madtom(Noturus leptacanthus)
2 Florida Flagfish(Jordanella floridae)(male/female)
2 German Blue Rams(male/female)
4 Rainbow Shiner(Notropis chrosomus)(1 male/3 female)(cant get any less than 4 because its the minimum I could get)
25 Neon Tetras(cant get any less than that because its the minimum I could get)

Is it too much? Can I add a few more fish? Like a few more bottom dwellers?

I'm going to get the Speckled Madtom, Florida Flagfish, and Rainbow Shiner from:
http://www.aquaculturestore.com/fwverts.html

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
IMO that is way too many for a 25g especially a 25 tall. I would be thinking maybe the neons and a pair of rams after the tank is established and adding fish a few at a time over several months.

Mark
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
IMO that is way too many for a 25g especially a 25 tall. I would be thinking maybe the neons and a pair of rams after the tank is established and adding fish a few at a time over several months.
Which fish would you take out and leave that's in my stock list already?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Keep the neons and the rams and get some ottos or other algae eaters or something to benefit the welfare of your planted tank. snails, shrimp, or SAE.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Keep the neons and the rams and get some ottos or other algae eaters or something to benefit the welfare of your planted tank. snails, shrimp, or SAE.
So this would be an ideal stock list?
2 German Blue Rams(male/female)
4 ottos
25 Neon Tetras

Can I add 1 Speckled Madtom(Noturus leptacanthus)? Or is it way too much already? I just love how Madtom(Noturus leptacanthus) look like.

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank VIP

I dont personally have any experience with this madtom but I do know that some get big enough to eat neons eventually. and for that size tank 2 or 3 ottos would be fine so if you really like the madtom go for it but research its mature size first or youll be out alot of $$ on your neons in the middle of the night.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Your first stock list may be OK if it were a 25 gallon long, instead of tall. It's all about the dimensions.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Your first stock list may be OK if it were a 25 gallon long, instead of tall. It's all about the dimensions.
Hmmm... 25 gallon long? Can't seem to find a 25 gallon long, only 20 gallon long which is 30" x 12" x 12". Can you link me a 25 gallon long?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I dont personally have any experience with this madtom but I do know that some get big enough to eat neons eventually. and for that size tank 2 or 3 ottos would be fine so if you really like the madtom go for it but research its mature size first or youll be out alot of $$ on your neons in the middle of the night.
It says the madtom gets 3 inches only. Is that big enough to eat the neons?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank VIP

no probably not.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
no probably not.
Mmk.
So, if I get a 30 gallon breeder, is my very first stock list alright?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Even in a 30 the first list is pretty heavy. 25 adult neons would be about max for a 25 if you go by the "1 inch of fish per gallon" guide.

Mark
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
I don't think there's such thing as a 25g long. I was just saying that long tanks are better.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
I don't think there's such thing as a 25g long. I was just saying that long tanks are better.
Oh, ok.

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode