Is this too much CO2??? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Albtraum
  • 2 Post By sfshrimp
  • 2 Post By dukydaf
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Albtraum's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 152
Exclamation Is this too much CO2???

https://youtu.be/DelYnpwLUGA

Here is a short 9 second video of my first diy co2. What do you guys think of my setup?

I don't have way to test co2 ppm or any water parameters for that matter, but I am worried about poisoning my fish. I will turn the water pump off for the night, so the bubbles just raise to the surface. But right now I have teeny tiny bubbles circulating every cubic inch of my tank. It seems like way too much from my inexperienced self.

I have 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast in a 2 liter bottle. I guess it will slow down but don't know if there is any risk to fish when doing a DIY co2 thingy.
Albtraum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albtraum View Post
https://youtu.be/DelYnpwLUGA

Here is a short 9 second video of my first diy co2. What do you guys think of my setup? I copied off of burr740 here.

I don't have way to test co2 ppm or any water parameters for that matter, but I am worried about poisoning my fish. I will turn the water pump off for the night, so the bubbles just raise to the surface. But right now I have teeny tiny bubbles circulating every cubic inch of my tank. It seems like way too much from my inexperienced self.

There's no way to tell without a drop checker. Do you have a bubble counter at the very least? How long are you pumping the c02 into the tank? What size tank is this?

If I were you I would dial back the c02 simply for the fact that you don't have many plants in there to begin with - it looks like a lot of anubis. What method of regulation are you using?

You need to invest in a drop checker and water test kit before you kill off the fish - the c02 is not a toy, as cool as the bubbles are. It's hard to tell in the video, but some airstone or surface agitation might be worth looking into also...

Your PH is going to drop in peak hours depending on how much you pump in there. Most people run the c02 during light time hours only and then the c02 is off during the off hours. I'm not an expert either but starting slow might be a prudent decision.
sfshrimp is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Albtraum's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
There's no way to tell without a drop checker. Do you have a bubble counter at the very least? How long are you pumping the c02 into the tank? What size tank is this?

If I were you I would dial back the c02 simply for the fact that you don't have many plants in there to begin with - it looks like a lot of anubis. What method of regulation are you using?

You need to invest in a drop checker and water test kit before you kill off the fish - the c02 is not a toy, as cool as the bubbles are. It's hard to tell in the video, but some airstone or surface agitation might be worth looking into also...

Your PH is going to drop in peak hours depending on how much you pump in there. Most people run the c02 during light time hours only and then the c02 is off during the off hours. I'm not an expert either but starting slow might be a prudent decision.
Yeah it's about 2-3 bubbles per second. I'm going to just have the co2 raise to the surface for now then. I'm planning on getting some plants tomorrow. It's all just anubias. It's a 26 gallon. I have cotton stuffed in the airline, about 1" into the tip.
Albtraum is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:23 AM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
PTrader: (130/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 5,848
My impression is that is not too much. Almost impossible to gas a 26 gallon tank with a single 2 liter bottle. But the only way to be sure is to observe the fish for signs of discomfort.

Pro Tip: It'll work better if you "pre-diffuse" the co2 by sticking a piece of chopstick, or piece of regular cotton ball packed tightly into the open end of the CO2 line. This way the pump will have a steady stream of smaller bubbles to work with, instead of big intermittent ones.

It'll be a lot quieter, more efficient, and produce a much finer 'mist'

*Edit, posted at the same time, just read where you do have a piece of cotton in the line. In the video it doesnt look like it. The mist should be steady, not pulsed like that. Maybe need to pack it tighter?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




burr740 is online now  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Albtraum's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
My impression is that is not too much. But the only way to be sure is to observe the fish for signs of discomfort.

Pro Tip: It'll work better if you "pre-diffuse" the co2 by sticking a piece of chopstick, or piece of regular cotton ball packed tightly into the open end of the CO2 line. This way the pump will have a steady stream of smaller bubbles to work with, instead of big intermittent ones.

It'll be a lot quieter, more efficient, and produce a much finer 'mist'
HEY you're the guy I copied. I found your thread years back, bought the water pump, but lost interest in the hobby. Then recently got back into, and finally got around to finishing what I started. I'll pack more cotton in it I guess. Thanks

burr740 and burr740 like this.
Albtraum is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:30 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 483
drop checker

If you can afford it I would buy a drop checker - you can just look and see what's going on in the tank. Better safe than sorry IMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albtraum View Post
Yeah it's about 2-3 bubbles per second. I'm going to just have the co2 raise to the surface for now then. I'm planning on getting some plants tomorrow. It's all just anubias. It's a 26 gallon. I have cotton stuffed in the airline, about 1" into the tip.
Albtraum and Albtraum like this.
sfshrimp is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 AM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
PTrader: (130/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 5,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albtraum View Post
HEY you're the guy I copied. I found your thread years back, bought the water pump, but lost interest in the hobby. Then recently got back into, and finally got around to finishing what I started. I'll pack more cotton in it I guess. Thanks
Haha, nice!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




burr740 is online now  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
dukydaf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rome
Posts: 1,273
Guides for DIY bubble counters are online. If you managed to do DIY CO2 yeast based reactor than the BC is similar. That will give you an idea abouth how fast or slow things run. It will, however, not be comparable with anything but itself. Saying you have 6 bps has little information for other people who have other setups.

If you can buy a pH test/pen and a KH test. The result of these 2 tests can be compared with others results and can estimate the conc. of CO2 in your aquarium.

If nothing works for you, watch the fish. If they start breathing hard and staying low or at water surface then you have way too much. yeast based DIY CO2 varies alot in output with age and temperature. In the first 3 days you can easily gas the fish. Afterwards it gets easier to manage.
Albtraum and Albtraum like this.

On hiatus till later this year
dukydaf is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:37 AM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
PTrader: (130/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 5,848
^ Another benefit of a bubble counter is it gives you a visual reference to know how consistent the system is running, and when it starts to slow down.

Every DIY set up should have one


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




burr740 is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome