Back after 3 year layoff with questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Back after 3 year layoff with questions

I am planning on starting a new planted tank after leaving the freshwater hobby several years ago. I started a large reef tank which has been successfull, but I miss my freshwater tank. I have a couple of questions. Can I use a LED fixture that was originally purchased for saltwater? It is full spectrum with all color channels programmable (blues, whites, reds, and greens). Secondly, is RODI water better to use than treated tap water? I use a RODI system for my reef tank to avoid introducing any unwanted metals, chlorine, etc. Wasn't sure if this also applied to planted tanks. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yes you can reuse the light. You'll probably have to dim it more than you would for the reef(especially if you're not using CO2).

RODI is fine for topoff. Depending on what's in your tap water it may be good to do for your primary water. You'll just have to re-mineralize it with an additive(which you're already used to from your reef tank).

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:04 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Will second the above regarding the light. But, I suspect it all depends on the light - if you can dim it, and you can adjust the colors, then I would say it can be used. Now, are you looking to do a high tech tank (lot of light, co2, fertilizers) or do you want to do a low tech tank? That might be your biggest question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the responses. Yes, the light can be dimmed and the colors can be adjusted. I am used to more of a blue spectrum 18-20K for saltwater.....I assume the planted tank will require more of a whiter spectrum closer to 12-14K? Regarding the type of tank, it will probably end up being more of a high tech tank with CO2. My thought was to use the RODI water to eliminate introducing nutrients that will feed nuisance algae....but would that be detrimental to the plants?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
No real need to reduce nutrients in a planted tank as they'll soak up what little might be in the water, unless something mineral-wise is really out of wack. It does however allow you to have complete control over the composition of your tank water.

Yeah I think you'll find anything above 14K will look washed out. I have a 13K BML on my freshwater and the greens still look vibrant. If it was a 20K I don't think that would still be true. What will look best color temp-wise will depend on what you keep. Amazon biotype will probably look better much warmer say 7k or even lower maybe. Iwagumi or other rock centric hardscapes will probably look better on the higher end. But where the light is adjustable you can adjust it until you're happy.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode