What kind of water do you use? RO? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Coral Keeper Send a message via Yahoo to Coral Keeper
What kind of water do you use? RO?

What kind of water can I use for water changes? Can I use RO water?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Absolutely. That's all I use. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1046586 I tried my tap water but it had way too much phosphate, which I believe was causing algae blooms.

You will need to add something like Barr's GH Booster to replace some of the good stuff the RO system removes. http://aquariumfertilizer.com/index....ShowItemStart=
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Here's another link that might be helpful: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...em-filter.html

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, ok. Also, if I use RO water, can I just add ferts and none of the stuff you just linked?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I use RO water. Once in a while I add a couple gallons of tap water.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can use RO water, but for the vast majority of people, regular tap water works just fine.

Personally I wouldn't go through the additional hassle and cost of an RO unit unless there was a specific need for it. Such as conditioning certain types of fish to breed or your current tap water has some known issue with what you want to keep.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
You can use RO water, but for the vast majority of people, regular tap water works just fine.

Personally I wouldn't go through the additional hassle and cost of an RO unit unless there was a specific need for it. Such as conditioning certain types of fish to breed or your current tap water has some known issue with what you want to keep.
In a lot of areas, they are starting to add chloramine in tap water. Chloramine is chlorine on steroids, Chloramine does no evaporate, even if you boil it, there will still be a bit left. BTW, I have a 6 stage RO/DI unit because I have a reef tank, so, its all good. Too much Chloramine to your tank = everything dead.

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Agreed. Tap water is best and the least troublesome, but in my case my tap water has a lot of phosphates and is really hard. I did spend a little on the RO system, but we're also using the filtered water option to make lemonade, iced tea, and coffee, which is why I went with the RD-106.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

I use tap water for my infrequent changes (I treat the water with a chlorine remover). I use RO for top offs.

Moses I live up slope from you, your water should be relatively neutral to slightly soft.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Man View Post
I use tap water for my infrequent changes (I treat the water with a chlorine remover). I use RO for top offs.

Moses I live up slope from you, your water should be relatively neutral to slightly soft.
I want to use RO water because I'll know that there is no Chloramine/chlorine in the water which can kill all your livestock.

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Keeper View Post
I want to use RO water because I'll know that there is no Chloramine/chlorine in the water which can kill all your livestock.
No chloramine/chlorine if you change your carbon filters every so often...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Keeper View Post
I highly recommend the RD-106 from Filter Direct. It's the same system I purchased and I absolutely love it. http://filterdirect.com/product_info...products_id=30
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Planted Member

RO unit is an investment.. But it has many uses besides just water for the fish (drinking/cooking/ice). I think it's the way to go and you can find an affordable unit if you're willing to do a little hunting (ie e-bay, craigslist). As far as fish since I've started using RO I have minimal algae problems and my parameters are consistently right where I want them.. And you have RO available to you for top offs. When changing water you will need to add equilibrium/gh booster (the kh you really don't even have to worry about) and that's that. Definitely recommend getting a unit if it's in your means.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Re: What kind of water do you use? RO?

Chloramine is easily removed using most dechlorinators. Cloram x works great and lasts forever.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
There are plenty of good water conditioners on the market that will take care of chloramines as well as chlorine- Prime is one of them.

However if you want to use RO water, go for it. Just reconstitute it with something, and make sure you maintain water parameter stability.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode