Need Input: Plant soak to neutralize snails, leeches, vermin AND their eggs... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Need Input: Plant soak to neutralize snails, leeches, vermin AND their eggs...

I have purchased a few items from this forum not knowing I'd be getting hitchhikers. I have gotten, snails, hydra, limpets and most recently as disgustingly, a leech. The leech has freaked me the eff right out. I have seen a lot of people suggest various things to wash the plants in but they come with warnings... Too much will kill the plant, accidental exposure will kill you....

I had a thought, this is where I need the input. Gardeners may have a leg up here... I use a spray on my roses that is 100% natural. It kills insects in whatever life stage they are, eggs, larval, adult. It is also pretty near instantaneous in death causing.

Its called Pyola. It is a mixture or canola oil and chrysanthemum extract. The oil coats the bug so it can't breathe and the chrysanthemum extract is a very lethal poison. You dilute this stuff down in water, spray it on your plants, wait for it to dry and all is safe. You can even use it on vegetable plants the day up until the harvest.

So my thoughts are, stick your new plants is a bucket for 5 mins, rinse a couple times, and viola, no live creepy crawlers and your plants are all safe. Just wear a pair of dishwashing gloves to do the dipping. Save and reuse. Not toxic unless you drink a lot of it, no fumes, and if rinsed properly, no danger to fish and inverts.

Any thoughts? (I will also post this thread in shrimp and inverts.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
No idea about the chemical you are suggesting. I use Excel or H202 to clean off plants sometimes. Works well and doesn't kill most plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Interesting. If its a leech, the problem is that once u see a leech chances are u got lots of them. Not just in your plants though, in ur substrate, in your filter and possibly in your net too.

So you will have to hit all those things in order to get rid of them. In the past, H202 didn't kill them and the amount u need to kill with excel would melt the plant.

Very tough thing to get rid of. Mostly requires a tank breakdown.

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
ive heard of bleach 1 cap to like 10 gal of water then rinse the plants a couple times. you might also try salt dip
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 AM
GEEK

PTrader: (68/100%)
Crysanthemum extract is pyrethrin, a nasty insecticide. I would not use this in my fish or shrimp tank. I wouldn't even use it anywhere in my home. It is pretty commonly used for external parasite control in pets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
If you're worried about snails and leeches, a mild salt bath should do. No need for insecticides.

You know what happens to a snail or leech when you pour salt on them.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
I tried salt baths. The concetration needed to get rid of them is high enough to burn the plants. So u gotta be careful with that. And it didn't work for me. A month later they were back. Im not sure if it was eggs or not. But I found the only thing that works is total tank tear down. including drying/bleaching filter substrate.

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I am very much hoping it's 1 leech that hitched a ride. I have that tank quarantined. I have 15 others I have to watch also. Fortunately it's only a 10 gallon so if a teardown is needed it's not the end of the world.

I'd never use the Pyola in my tanks, it'd be a prerinse in a bucket or something. I keep my sub pretty darn clean, so this is a shock. The leech was hiding under the aquarium rim at the top of the tank, not in plants or substrate. I brushed him with tweezers, that's when he popped out and scared me to death. I screamed like a woman! (No offense intended)

My cichlids got a treat they loved. I didn't even get the tweezers all the way into the water and he was eaten.

I may do some very select testing and share my results.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode