2Likes
  • 2 Post By theatermusic87
  • 2 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Haruka Misawa: Fish tanks as art

Found this on Pinterest tonight. Wanted to share. I love these tanks! Especially the ones with "bubbles". Enjoy!

http://www.ifitshipitshere.com/waterscape-aquariums/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thank-you for sharing. Pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
they look cool, but some of those fish look pretty darn stressed out, the cardinal tetras and rummynoses in particular
DaveK and DaveK like this.

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
they look cool, but some of those fish look pretty darn stressed out, the cardinal tetras and rummynoses in particular
I was trying to talk myself into rationalizing that it is art so the fish won't have to live there forever and maybe they'll rehome them. If you can ignore the fish welfare issue the art is pretty wonderful.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Not at all sustainable. To me it's art and your using the fish as props, not something I could appreciate.
DaveK and DaveK like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
First, thanks for posting about this. It's always good to evaluate something that is very different.

That being said, I don't care for the very artificial looking aquascapes and the contrived results. The don't do anything for me. In my opinion, an aquarium system is all about showing off the fish, plants and other livestock to best effect. I don't think you improve on that with such aquascapes.

I also agree with the others about how the fish are stressed and the environment can't be maintained for any length of time.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Poor husbandry aside in the exhibit aside, I think the concepts behind some of the designs are great. The interplay between air and water, the juxtaposition between the stark out of place geometric shapes and plants is kind of refreshing. Some of those ideas with minor tweaks such as fewer livestock (or plants only) and proper filtration would definitely be sustainable.

These design are not any more "natural" than the miniature trees, mountain scapes, forests, waterfalls and footpaths created with what is accepted as "aquascaping".

7g Cube -
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
Poor husbandry aside in the exhibit aside, I think the concepts behind some of the designs are great. The interplay between air and water, the juxtaposition between the stark out of place geometric shapes and plants is kind of refreshing. Some of those ideas with minor tweaks such as fewer livestock (or plants only) and proper filtration would definitely be sustainable.

These design are not any more "natural" than the miniature trees, mountain scapes, forests, waterfalls and footpaths created with what is accepted as "aquascaping".
I think I hit a nerve by posting the IKEA of fish tanks on a planted tank forum. I couldn't have caused less controversy if I had gone over to the Betta forum with a picture of my Finny in a artfully designed 6 oz cup that I would contend to be a beautiful addition to my home and a perfect Betta tank (just an example, please don't call PETA, the spoiled one has a 6 gallon Betta condo).

Great to see the comments. I had a feeling most people would have a gut reaction to the works of art. But that's what good art does, it illicits a reaction.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:57 AM
Banned

@varimint

No problem you posting this, I always find these things interesting although I think it's pretty dumb.

They're trying to produce an artistic environment that the fish interact with, but there can be no sustaining this. Putting a filter on it and other things the fish need would surely ruin the look they are going for. Once the fish start pooping in those all white environments somehow I don't think it would be as attractive.

Putting plants in there would never work considering the requirements they need. They must have someone on 24 hr patrol to change the water in the turtle exhibit once he does his business.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
@varimint

No problem you posting this, I always find these things interesting although I think it's pretty dumb.

They're trying to produce an artistic environment that the fish interact with, but there can be no sustaining this. Putting a filter on it and other things the fish need would surely ruin the look they are going for. Once the fish start pooping in those all white environments somehow I don't think it would be as attractive.

Putting plants in there would never work considering the requirements they need. They must have someone on 24 hr patrol to change the water in the turtle exhibit once he does his business.
I bet the people curating the exhibit never thought they would have to be on poop patrol!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
I bet the people curating the exhibit never thought they would have to be on poop patrol!
I think it's hilarious that those exhibits are all white. Try putting a few plecos in an all white tank and come back in a few hours and see what it looks like.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode