Haruka Misawa: Fish tanks as art - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By theatermusic87
  • 2 Post By houseofcards
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Varmint's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Coast, California
Posts: 671
Haruka Misawa: Fish tanks as art

Found this on Pinterest tonight. Wanted to share. I love these tanks! Especially the ones with "bubbles". Enjoy!

http://www.ifitshipitshere.com/waterscape-aquariums/
Varmint is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 AM
Captain
 
Immortal1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,413
Thank-you for sharing. Pretty cool.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Immortal1 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: rochester ny
Posts: 1,401
they look cool, but some of those fish look pretty darn stressed out, the cardinal tetras and rummynoses in particular
DaveK and DaveK like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Help build the [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] and [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
theatermusic87 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Varmint's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Coast, California
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
they look cool, but some of those fish look pretty darn stressed out, the cardinal tetras and rummynoses in particular
I was trying to talk myself into rationalizing that it is art so the fish won't have to live there forever and maybe they'll rehome them. If you can ignore the fish welfare issue the art is pretty wonderful.
Varmint is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
Not at all sustainable. To me it's art and your using the fish as props, not something I could appreciate.
DaveK and DaveK like this.
houseofcards is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Outside Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,845
First, thanks for posting about this. It's always good to evaluate something that is very different.

That being said, I don't care for the very artificial looking aquascapes and the contrived results. The don't do anything for me. In my opinion, an aquarium system is all about showing off the fish, plants and other livestock to best effect. I don't think you improve on that with such aquascapes.

I also agree with the others about how the fish are stressed and the environment can't be maintained for any length of time.
DaveK is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
devilduck's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 776
Poor husbandry aside in the exhibit aside, I think the concepts behind some of the designs are great. The interplay between air and water, the juxtaposition between the stark out of place geometric shapes and plants is kind of refreshing. Some of those ideas with minor tweaks such as fewer livestock (or plants only) and proper filtration would definitely be sustainable.

These design are not any more "natural" than the miniature trees, mountain scapes, forests, waterfalls and footpaths created with what is accepted as "aquascaping".

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
devilduck is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Varmint's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Coast, California
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
Poor husbandry aside in the exhibit aside, I think the concepts behind some of the designs are great. The interplay between air and water, the juxtaposition between the stark out of place geometric shapes and plants is kind of refreshing. Some of those ideas with minor tweaks such as fewer livestock (or plants only) and proper filtration would definitely be sustainable.

These design are not any more "natural" than the miniature trees, mountain scapes, forests, waterfalls and footpaths created with what is accepted as "aquascaping".
I think I hit a nerve by posting the IKEA of fish tanks on a planted tank forum. I couldn't have caused less controversy if I had gone over to the Betta forum with a picture of my Finny in a artfully designed 6 oz cup that I would contend to be a beautiful addition to my home and a perfect Betta tank (just an example, please don't call PETA, the spoiled one has a 6 gallon Betta condo).

Great to see the comments. I had a feeling most people would have a gut reaction to the works of art. But that's what good art does, it illicits a reaction.
Varmint is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:57 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
@varimint

No problem you posting this, I always find these things interesting although I think it's pretty dumb.

They're trying to produce an artistic environment that the fish interact with, but there can be no sustaining this. Putting a filter on it and other things the fish need would surely ruin the look they are going for. Once the fish start pooping in those all white environments somehow I don't think it would be as attractive.

Putting plants in there would never work considering the requirements they need. They must have someone on 24 hr patrol to change the water in the turtle exhibit once he does his business.
houseofcards is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Varmint's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Coast, California
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
@varimint

No problem you posting this, I always find these things interesting although I think it's pretty dumb.

They're trying to produce an artistic environment that the fish interact with, but there can be no sustaining this. Putting a filter on it and other things the fish need would surely ruin the look they are going for. Once the fish start pooping in those all white environments somehow I don't think it would be as attractive.

Putting plants in there would never work considering the requirements they need. They must have someone on 24 hr patrol to change the water in the turtle exhibit once he does his business.
I bet the people curating the exhibit never thought they would have to be on poop patrol!
Varmint is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
I bet the people curating the exhibit never thought they would have to be on poop patrol!
I think it's hilarious that those exhibits are all white. Try putting a few plecos in an all white tank and come back in a few hours and see what it looks like.
houseofcards is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome