Beginner Questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beginner Questions

Hi all!

I have a couple questions regarding my 29 gallon planted tank. I have been keeping Aquariums for years but have recently begun to plant my tanks. I am running a low light, low tech tank with a sand substrate that I dose with Flourish twice a week and Excel every day and have Flourish Root Tabs in. So far the planting consists of hygrophilia (polysperma, I believe), Amazon Sword, Micro-sword, and Anubias Nana.

First - My new hygros (just added a week or so ago) are all developing holes in the lower leaves. These leaves are all starting to fall away. What can I do to stop this?

Second - I currently run a T8, one bulb fixture. (Aqueon Flourescent hood light that is currently over a glass top). The bulb is going, and rather than buying another sub-par bulb, I am looking into upgrading my light. I am looking at the Finnex 24/7 Planted+. Would this be a good light, or should I instead get a T5HO fixture?

Thanks so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like you have a macro nutrient deficiency to sort out first, before adding light. Adding more light will just make it need more fertiliser. Can you post pictures.

I see it is a new account, I'm sure one of the mods will unlock you over the next few hours, seeing that you are here to fix your tank and not a spam bot.
anniemoose98 and anniemoose98 like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Sounds like you have a macro nutrient deficiency to sort out first, before adding light. Adding more light will just make it need more fertiliser. Can you post pictures.

I see it is a new account, I'm sure one of the mods will unlock you over the next few hours, seeing that you are here to fix your tank and not a spam bot.
Odd that it would be a macro nutrient issue since I dose Flourish and only the hygros have the issue. My sword took off like a weed. I can attach a FTS if you need it, but for now I focused on the holes in the hygro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160804_153402.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	658497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160804_153410.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	658505  

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My hygros has also the same, nothing to do with fertz. In my case its lighting, it needs a lot of light, its from my experience.

Or may be going through the transition from emersed form. Seeing the leaf node height difference seems so.

I would recommend Finnex or any other LED lights over T5HO anytime.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:08 PM
Planted Member

T5HO is soooo 2011
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albtraum View Post
T5HO is soooo 2011
They still grow plants extremely well.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemoose98 View Post
Odd that it would be a macro nutrient issue since I dose Flourish and only the hygros have the issue. My sword took off like a weed. I can attach a FTS if you need it, but for now I focused on the holes in the hygro.
Flourish is a micro solution, you aren't getting any macros from it. If you are going to dose ferts I'd highly recommend picking up a set of dry fertilizers. They will last you a really long time and are the cheapest route for the long haul.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
They still grow plants extremely well.

Bump:

Flourish is a micro solution, you aren't getting any macros from it. If you are going to dose ferts I'd highly recommend picking up a set of dry fertilizers. They will last you a really long time and are the cheapest route for the long haul.
What dry fertilizer would you recommend? Cheap sounds good. I am a student who just wants to make his aquarium look presentable and doesn't have a ton of money to spare.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What dry fertilizer would you recommend? Cheap sounds good. I am a student who just wants to make his aquarium look presentable and doesn't have a ton of money to spare.
Try and contact @nilocg. You can pick up a complete package of ferts for about $25 shipped.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I buy my frets from nilocg a member here. You can search for his name and find his "for sale" thread.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...home/chemicals

I recommend reading some info here even if you do not use the PPS method.
Lots of valuable info.

NilocG.com is whom I purchase from.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...home/chemicals

I recommend reading some info here even if you do not use the PPS method.
Lots of valuable info.

NilocG.com is whom I purchase from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim64684 View Post
I buy my frets from nilocg a member here. You can search for his name and find his "for sale" thread.
Quote:
Try and contact @nilocg. You can pick up a complete package of ferts for about $25 shipped.
Looking on his website, it seems that the PPS-PRO kit is what I'd want, correct? After I run dry on my current supply of Flourish, I'll likely switch over to his stuff if it would make a noticeable difference.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd think for someone just getting into dosing that EI would be easier. I've never used the pps-pro style dosing before but I believe there is a lot more configuration and adjustments to the amounts used than EI.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Just a noob

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'd think for someone just getting into dosing that EI would be easier. I've never used the pps-pro style dosing before but I believe there is a lot more configuration and adjustments to the amounts used than EI.
Ok, what package do you recommend, then? I see that he has multiple EI packages available.

EDIT: Also, I don't really think I have the money to go high tech with CO2. Would I have to with these fertilizers?

Planted Noob

Last edited by anniemoose98; 08-05-2016 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Adding another question, didn't want to double post.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used this Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report when I first started my tank. After reading multiple fert/ defiency threads in have since started to adjust my dosing although it's too early to tell a change. I've also just ordered some plantex csmb to use instead of equilibrium as I have plenty of kh and gh.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ok, what package do you recommend, then? I see that he has multiple EI packages available.

EDIT: Also, I don't really think I have the money to go high tech with CO2. Would I have to with these fertilizers?
Really you just need the base package which should include KNO3, KH2PO4 and CSM+B. You will need to read up on dosing to get familiar with the schedule, but for low light, "low tech" you should be dosing about a 3rd of what the normal EI schedule calls for.

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode