well, as i've been going through what i did on the other tank, i think i've finally realized what i was doing wrong.
1. too much trace nutrients ( where the major algae problem came in.
2. major fluctuating conditions. (co2 levels)
3. my enexperience with what causes what in a planted tank.
and on the good note, here's how it's going now that i rescaped.
1. in the past week the rescaped tank has grown considerably. all plants are taking off quite well.
2. the ludwigia repens is putting large roots off the mid and upper section. leaves are bright bright red, almost pink on top.(new leaves have an amazing pink-peach color, quite nice against the wildcaught bright green repens) it's even branching off the main stems (FINALLY)
3. have my co2 cylinder and now i'm waiting on my regulator (YES AGAIN)