Betta and other fish in same tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Coral Keeper Send a message via Yahoo to Coral Keeper
Betta and other fish in same tank?

Can a Betta be in the same tank with other fish or will the Betta kill the other fish? Tank will be 30 or 40 gallons.

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
It depends on the betta, and the other fish. Sometimes other fish badger and bully bettas into submission, and pick at their long fins. Some bettas tolerate and leave other fish alone, some chase everyone and everything that moves.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Algae Grower

Bettas very much have their own personalty. One may tolerate other peaceful fish fine, another may rip those same fish in half. I'd go with some bottom dwellers or slow moving tetras.

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Bettas very much have their own personalty. One may tolerate other peaceful fish fine, another may rip those same fish in half. I'd go with some bottom dwellers or slow moving tetras.
I agree with that...i kept betta in a 20 gallon long tank and they spwan right in front of everyone( neons,ottos...) here is a link to the thread that i posted long time with 2 videos: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...-spawning.html
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I guess its a 50/50 chance?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
As others have said its pretty random. I tried a single male Betta in a community tank. It worked ok for a week or 2, but one night he snapped and we woke up the next morning to find he had killed 4 of our 5 cardinal tetras. Since then he has coexisted peacefully with our African dwarf frogs and otos in a different tank. We also had a female Betta who lived in our community tank for 2 months without incident, until an unfortunate event involving a filter intake.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

IME a little better than 50/50- but I'd have a Plan B just in case.

I've usually had more issues with other fish picking on the betta (can't resist those long flowy fins...), so keep that in mind when picking out tankmates. You don't want any fish about the same size and shape as the betta as that tends to trigger the betta, and no fish that tend to be fin-nippers to harrass the betta.

Female bettas and plakat (short-finned) are often the best choices for community tanks.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, ok. Still don't know what kind of fish I'm going to keep. But if I get a angelfish, I wont be able to keep a betta right? Since a angelfish is the same shape?

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

An angel would probably work with a female betta OK. IMO angels really need 55gal+ tanks though, since adults can get so large and really need their swimming room.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
An angel would probably work with a female betta OK. IMO angels really need 55gal+ tanks though, since adults can get so large and really need their swimming room.
Oh, ok, gotcha.

Moses
Coral Keepers diaries.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Algae Grower

I agree with the previous posts that each betta has its own personality, so there are no guarantees. However, I have successfully kept male bettas with platies, tetras, otos, and adult amano shrimp.

One approach that I have found useful is to ensure that the betta is the last fish added to your tank. This helps minimize territoriality. If you don't have the betta yet, add all of the other fish to the tank first, then introduce the betta to the tank last. Ensure that you monitor the tank to see how the interactions go.

If you already have the betta in the tank, remove the betta, rearrange the tank decor as much as you can, add the other fish, and then add the betta back in.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
When I had angels I also had a betta - worked fine.

One suggestion - find an LFS that keeps bettas in the tanks with other fish (instead of the dixie cups). That way the betta is already used to being in a tank with other fish and might be less aggressive.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
When I had angels I also had a betta - worked fine.

One suggestion - find an LFS that keeps bettas in the tanks with other fish (instead of the dixie cups). That way the betta is already used to being in a tank with other fish and might be less aggressive.
sounds like a good idea to me.

my betta harrased my guppys and any other bottom dweller in my tank.
so to me its a 50/50

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode