Moving dread... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Moving dread...

So I am moving to a new home within the week. Sadly my 55 gallon tank is still setup... I'm not even sure about how to go about moving the tank.

I was thinking about catching all the fish and letting them sit in a tub filled with the tank water over night, moving the tank out to the place empty and filling it up with all the gravel and such and then filling the tank with the existing water from the tub already and then the rest with clean water.

Could this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, I actually did this exact thing this weekend. I moved three tanks 75g reef, 55 planted, and a 15g planted. I just put the fish and plants in a bucket the day before with an air stone and transferred everything back in. The reef was the only one with casualties but they sat in buckets for over a week without air conditioning and I only lost one sps colony.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'd worry about fish in say a 5g bucket and the ammonia generated during the entire process...
I think what I would do is use a sponge filter in the bucket driven by a battery operated air pump (like those used for minnow buckets). Then I'd rinse my existing filter media in the bucket to seed the sponge filter with beneficial bacteria. Then I'd xfer the fish, knowing they had O2 and ammonia protection.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't usually keep them in a 5 gallon bucket when I do things like this. I keep them in a 35 gallon tub.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would toss a sponge or pad from existing filter from mature tank in the tub holding the fish and as Abbey's Dad said also a battery operated air stone (see fishing Isle at Walmart).
If the fish are only gonna be in the tub but a couple hour's then no worries, but longer might require a heater in the tub till you get ready to move the fish.
I catch fish from my tank's for trade at LFS and often do as described while waiting for fish store to open for the baby longfinned bristlenose that are more easily trapped at night, and then traded the next morning.
Have also done the same when tearing down tank's to re-do substrates.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
I changed the substrate in my planted tank and I put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with a air stone. The fish were in the bucket for 5 hours or so and all ended up with ammonia burn. I lost 3 roseline sharks.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantsome View Post
I changed the substrate in my planted tank and I put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with a air stone. The fish were in the bucket for 5 hours or so and all ended up with ammonia burn. I lost 3 roseline sharks.
Yes,you need a sponge filter that is well colonized with bacteria from existing mature tank, or mature pre filter sponge ,or some material from mature filter to toss in the tank,tub,bucket, holding fish.
Guess one could dose product like prime which detoxifies ammonia for 12 to 24 hours ,or use Zeolite in a bag ,but much easier to provide some already colonized filter material from the tank.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...ali-texas.html

here is a thread that some have given to me for when I move at the end of Oct
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I don't usually keep them in a 5 gallon bucket when I do things like this. I keep them in a 35 gallon tub.
So how do you pickup and move a 35g tub (@291.9~ lbs.)?!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
I've moved a bunch of fish across the country in a 5 gallon bucket. It was a 3 day move. Every night I did a 50% water change for the bucket and I left an airstone running all night at the hotel. During the day/drive I just put the lid on the bucket and kept the fish cool/in the AC.

Once we got to our destination the fish went into a 35 gallon rubbermaid tub with a sponge filter until I could get my tank setup.

Point is, on an across town move, the fish will be fine.

I did a cross town move on a 75 gallon tank and barely even messed up the aquascape. I put all the fish in a bucket. Then I emptied all the water. I dug up a corner of the gravel so I could get to the bottom glass and get as much water out as possible. Then we just heave ho'ed it. This was me, my wife, and our female roommate. We even carried that sucker up a single flight of stairs.

Granted, that was stupid, and I love them both for putting up with me. I bet that sucker was 200 lbs or more.

__
__
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I've moved a bunch of fish across the country in a 5 gallon bucket. It was a 3 day move. Every night I did a 50% water change for the bucket and I left an airstone running all night at the hotel. During the day/drive I just put the lid on the bucket and kept the fish cool/in the AC.

Once we got to our destination the fish went into a 35 gallon rubbermaid tub with a sponge filter until I could get my tank setup.

Point is, on an across town move, the fish will be fine.

I did a cross town move on a 75 gallon tank and barely even messed up the aquascape. I put all the fish in a bucket. Then I emptied all the water. I dug up a corner of the gravel so I could get to the bottom glass and get as much water out as possible. Then we just heave ho'ed it. This was me, my wife, and our female roommate. We even carried that sucker up a single flight of stairs.

Granted, that was stupid, and I love them both for putting up with me. I bet that sucker was 200 lbs or more.

I feel you,
My brother and I emptied the water from an 80 gal ,placed the discus I was caring for at the time in a couple five gal bucket's with air stones and colonized pre filter's from the tank, and decided to carry the tank with about three inches of sand in it out to the truck,and then up a set of concrete stair's from the driveway to the house.
Was all we could do.
Surprised the bottom of the tank did not let go, but pretty sure one testicle hang's a bit lower than the other now.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

I moved a few times within town; so a couple of hours max. Removed all equipment, drained out 90% of the water and moved the entire thing. All my fish survived also didnt crack the tank. Used some foam to support the tank when in transit. Its risky but worth it if you are within a few hours
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would contact the vet and let him prescribe MS222 for you.
If done right it will keep them sedated for the trip.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
So I am moving to a new home within the week. Sadly my 55 gallon tank is still setup... I'm not even sure about how to go about moving the tank.
How far are you moving?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I only moved about 20 minutes away. My tank is still at my old house though. I'm debating about whether I should empty it and bring it here or just get a new tank entirely altogether.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode