pearling stops for a day or 2 after water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
pearling stops for a day or 2 after water changes

Okay, so my plants usually do some moderate pearling in the last couple hours of the higher light phase of my tank (finnex 24/7). This is except for the days following a water change, which seems counter intuitive to what i have read about water changes and pearling. I just did a minor water change the other night, about 10% tank volume as opposed to the usual 30% to see if this still affected and it did, (ie, no pearling today). Its not a problem of course but seems odd, and if anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

33 gallon fluval studio tank
Moderately planted
pressurized co2, with inline uv sterilizer modded to be used as a reactor, limits total co2 but i see a ph drop by 1 degree
fertilizers are added at water changes only, every 5-6 days( pinch of potassium phosphate, tsp of gh booster, and usually add 5-10 osmocote granuals into substrate monthly

Measured nitrate after last partial water change and read about 20-30 ppm, with uncalibrated api test kit, only thing that came to mind was reduced nitrate after water change but minor water change still affected pearling

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Do you have a hood or lid that you are removing to do the water change? This may be way off, but my thought is that those trap a higher concentration of CO2 causing the tank not to gas off quite as much. When you open the lid, your non-dissolved CO2 is released, and then it builds back up over a couple of days after water changes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How are you adding new water? When it's flowing out of a bucket, surface agitation is much stronger and it can degass your tank for some time. Not two days, but one for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

thanks for replies guys, I do have a glass hood, but i slide it open daily for feeding. As for refilling it fills from a 1/4 tube into tank. Nothing else seems effected, i get growth during those non-pearling days and no algae issues, it just bugs me everytime and seems weird.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajester View Post
Okay, so my plants usually do some moderate pearling in the last couple hours of the higher light phase of my tank (finnex 24/7). This is except for the days following a water change, which seems counter intuitive to what i have read about water changes and pearling. I just did a minor water change the other night, about 10% tank volume as opposed to the usual 30% to see if this still affected and it did, (ie, no pearling today). Its not a problem of course but seems odd, and if anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

33 gallon fluval studio tank
Moderately planted
pressurized co2, with inline uv sterilizer modded to be used as a reactor, limits total co2 but i see a ph drop by 1 degree
fertilizers are added at water changes only, every 5-6 days( pinch of potassium phosphate, tsp of gh booster, and usually add 5-10 osmocote granuals into substrate monthly

Measured nitrate after last partial water change and read about 20-30 ppm, with uncalibrated api test kit, only thing that came to mind was reduced nitrate after water change but minor water change still affected pearling

Thanks in advance
Hi aquajester,

It is likely that what is happening is when you do the water change you are removing some of a nutrient (or several nutrients) that the plants need for maximum growth and 'pearling'. Then over several days the nutrient is replenished and 'pearling' re-commences. It could be any nutrient, even nitrogen if the 20ppm-30ppm reading is taken prior to water changes.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajester View Post
usually add 5-10 osmocote granuals into substrate monthly
Agree with Seattle_Aquarist , maybe it takes some time for the osmocote to leak the missing nutrients back into the aquarium water.

Alternative explanations could be the filter/pump is cleaned at water change and has increased flow during the first days. Increased flow might mean more degassing / displacing of saturated water from around the plant.

CO2 input could be low and it and takes some time to build to top/pearling concentrations.

I would go with the nutrients first though. Maybe try to add some EI solution after wc to see what you get. In the end, pearling is not always equal to happy plants. As you noticed you can get great growth without it.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode