Life of cycled tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Life of cycled tank

I just finished cycling a ten gallon tank that my cherry shrimp will move into. It probably finished cycling completely a few days back with ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 5. I haven't had anything in there. Just driftwood pieces, a bunch of moss, a sponge filter that was there during cycling, and a cheap hob just filled with ceramic rings,foam, and floss for extra biological filtration that was running as well during the whole cycle. I set up the tank two weeks ago, injected a few syringes full of mulm from my established 75 gallon's xp3 on the first day and by the next day ammonia was down to .5 and nitrites were apparent as well. After about another week, ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 ppm. So after thing went fast and smooth. My question is how long will the tank remain cycled while housing no shrimp or fish. I plan to make some time to do the move of the shrimp to the 10 gallon by the end of the week. Will the bacteria die off in that time from no ammonia source or should I be fine? Will I have to re-cycle the tank again or does will the moss help it keep cycled? Should I inject more mulm into the tank first thing tomorrow to help keep it going? Let me know what to do.

Bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Unless you're adding dozens of shrimp, there won't be a spike, so no need to worry about having really high bacteria count.
Putting more mulm in and retesting again before adding shrimp isn't a bad idea.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
For starters, no more than 2 dozen to be honest. I just don't want to lose them, that is why I ask.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Hi. To keep my 10 gallon tank going while waiting for occupants after cycling, I just added two or three [U]drops[/U] of ammonia from an eye dropper each day. You want to add just a small amount so as to avoid an ammonia reading.
If it's going to be awhile till you stock, you can increase the ammonia by a drop a day if ammonia levels stay at zero, to continue to build/feed up a colony of "good" bacteria.

Last edited by comet; 04-20-2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Without ammonia, the cycle will end quickly. Now, you could do a few things to make this simple. Just add a couple drops of ammonia(regular diluted ammonia, no surfactants(shake to see if the bottle bubbles)). Or when you get the shrimp, add a little more filter mulm or bio rings from an established tank. Or run the filter you have on the established tank until the shrimp come.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Throw in some fish food and it will decompose and keep the cycle going. Also keep putting a little of your fish mulm in the tank and it will all be fine.

Have you ever seen a French Ninja? NO because they are sneaky.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode