29 gallon planted tank set up (help needed) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 gallon planted tank set up (help needed)

I used to keep fish (puffers- so no chance of live plants in those tanks, lol) many years back, but I haven't had any tanks set up for quite a while and they're all gathering dust in my basement. Finally decided to try setting up a planted tank and I /think/ I'm starting to understand what I need to get it all set up. Looking for mid-tech or cheaper high-tech sort of set up.

It's a 29 gallon tank. I just (drunkenly) purchased a SunSun canister filter off ebay after reading through the thread on that here. Now I'm trying to figure out lighting and substrate (and CO2?)

For lighting I am looking at the 30" Finnex Ray2, is this a good amount of light for a 29 gallon tank?

For substrate I am considering CaribSea Eco-Complete. Would this be a good substrate on it's own or would I have to layer it with something else? and would 40 lbs be enough for my 29 gallon tank?

CO2 I am still super confused by. Would someone be able to direct me to a (very) simplified DIY type set up?

I apologize for all the questions, I am sure similar things have been asked a thousand times.. I just want to be extra sure of what I am doing before I spend money on things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think you would get more Bang for your Buck from a Beamswork Evo Quad. Topdogsellers in evilbay has a 30" one for close to the same price as a Ray 2. From what I've read it should have quite a bit more par than the Finnex. Aquarium Co-op has a review of the 2 strip.

It also works with ramp timers without modification, not sure if the Ray 2 will without modification.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:30 PM
Planted Member

I had old school T5 on my 29 gallon. Eco Complete, 3 bags/ 60 lbs. Aquaclear rated for 50 gallons until it broke, then a Penguin 200B which I now use on my 26 gallon

The DIY Co2 setup is a 2 liter bottle, with 1/2 teaspoon ordinary bread yeast, 2 cups ordinary sugar, and fill the bottle with water to 3/4 full.

Materials:
>2 liter bottle
>airline hose/ tubing
>silicone/caulking to seal the hose to the cap
>yeast
>sugar
>water

You really do not need a check valve, a bubble counter, or a secondary bottle. Use them if you'd like to.

Then have the tube go a water pump's inlet, to chop up the bubbles, and disperse them as tiny tiny bubbles. Or somewhere in the outlet on your canister filter. Don't get a glass bulb or an air stone. The glass diffusers are for when you ge a Co2 tank and regulator.

*Also Welcome and congrats on getting into this hobby!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A ray2 will provide more than enough light for a 29 gallon.

I love Eco complete. I suggest you using it on its own. But keep in mind that it's an inert substrate which means it holds no nutrients right out of the bag, so you're going to have to scatter some root tabs across the substrate. And although it doesn't hold nutrients right out of the box, it holds them really well once once the nutrients are introduced. And yes , 2 bags are enough for a 29 gallon, although I'd go for 2 1/2 - 3 bags to get a nice 2" depth all around.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the information!

I found out my husband had an old CO2 paintball canister sitting around, so we decided to attempt this: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...5850?_k=hj59ia
We'll see how that goes!

What kind of root tabs should I get? And I assume I should be adding fertilizer regularly? What kind/how often should I do that?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiaCat View Post
Thank you for all the information!

I found out my husband had an old CO2 paintball canister sitting around, so we decided to attempt this: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...5850?_k=hj59ia
We'll see how that goes!

What kind of root tabs should I get? And I assume I should be adding fertilizer regularly? What kind/how often should I do that?
I'd recommend Osmocote root tabs off of Ebay. They're like 50 for 4 bucks and way better than the expensive Seachem/API ones.

How much and how often really depends on your system. There are many factors such as light intensity, co2 availability, and how heavily planted your tank is. Looking at the back of the fert bottle can give you an idea of how much to dose. The rest you'll learn as you get to know your tank.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't know if a Ray2 would be the way to go. If you're just getting started with plants you may want to get a light that has a dimming feature. The Ray2 is powerful and if it ends up being to much your best option is to raise it.

Look at these:

- Finnex Planted Plus 24/7
- Current USA Sat+ Pro
- Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
I don't know if a Ray2 would be the way to go. If you're just getting started with plants you may want to get a light that has a dimming feature. The Ray2 is powerful and if it ends up being to much your best option is to raise it.

Look at these:

- Finnex Planted Plus 24/7
- Current USA Sat+ Pro
- Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0
This isn't a bad list, but if you want flexibility I would avoid the 24/7. Your paying for features that are non-flexible. The Current USA and Fluval both have more par and a better warranty. Both will also work with Ramp Timers and the Sat+ Pro offers a built in timer as well.

My Tanks

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Hmm. The Current USA Sat+ Pro is a bit out of my price range (currently $170 on Amazon, looking to stay under $130, preferably under $100). I was also considering the Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 but I was concerned the light wouldn't reach the bottom of the tank very well. Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 might be a good option if you guys think the Ray2 would be too much for a 29 gallon?

I'd really like to get a fairly compact carpet of.. something (dwarf hair grass maybe?) growing, and I want to be sure whatever lighting I get will be able to help it grow out quickly.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Algae Grower

The Current USA Sat+ Pro is a bit out of my price range

I recently purchased one from Drsfostersmith.com for $129 but it was their smallest @ 18" and on sale at the time. Exactly the size needed for my 26 gal cube. It is very versatile And once I figured out how to program it it has been great. Be aware that it is not even close to being waterproof(about the only drawback) so a top of some sorts is needed. I also use API co2 booster in lieu of making or buying Co2. Seems to be working OK. Tank has only been assembled for about 2 months but is growing good.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiaCat View Post
Hmm. The Current USA Sat+ Pro is a bit out of my price range (currently $170 on Amazon, looking to stay under $130, preferably under $100). I was also considering the Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 but I was concerned the light wouldn't reach the bottom of the tank very well. Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 might be a good option if you guys think the Ray2 would be too much for a 29 gallon?

I'd really like to get a fairly compact carpet of.. something (dwarf hair grass maybe?) growing, and I want to be sure whatever lighting I get will be able to help it grow out quickly.
Realistically it should reach the bottom and for low-tech, if you plan to remain that way, it isn't a bad light. Finnex lights are designed at this time w/out flexibility. The 24/7 either runs in 24/7 or on an outlet timer w/out warranty voiding modification. From my understanding all Finnex lights use the same 2 prong plug instead of the industry standard round plug used by all ramp timers.

Another option is Beamswork Evo Green. It will reach the bottom and the Beamswork works w/ ramp timers. Less warranty than Finnex, 3 months vrs 6 months, but you also save quite a bit typically.

The 24" to 36" Fresh and Plant 2.0 is about $130 and can be used with a normal timer (cheap). You could upgrade to a ramp timer later.

My Tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode