Symmetrical aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Symmetrical aquascape

The first rule of aquascape seems to be symmetry is bad, but the first rule of art is rules are meant to be broken, though you can argue to break this rule means you shouldn't break any rules.

I've been searching for symmetrical aquascape, it turns out to be incredibly rare, may be for good reason, or may be planted tank folks are just not very adventurous. If you know of any, or if it is your tank, feel free to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post
The first rule of aquascape seems to be symmetry is bad, but the first rule of art is rules are meant to be broken, though you can argue to break this rule means you shouldn't break any rules.

I've been searching for symmetrical aquascape, it turns out to be incredibly rare, may be for good reason, or may be planted tank folks are just not very adventurous. If you know of any, or if it is your tank, feel free to share.
Hi Navyblue,

It's interesting you mention 'art' since a lot of the popular aquascapes are based upon artistic principles such as 'The Rule of Thirds' and the 'Golden Ratio' are just two of the principles that the judges of the AGA Aquascaping contest look for in the winning 'scapes.

It is likely that we don't ofen see symmetric 'scapes because they can easily be visually boring; especially if the foliage lacks contrast and visual diversity.

But like you said, rules are meant to be broken. The most important rule that I follow in doing a 'scape is: "Do I like it?"
koiboi and koiboi like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My other hobby is photography, so the same classic rules applies. Personally, honestly I am more of a traditional guy in terms of aesthetic. But one doesn't have to look hard at all for examples that break these rules in photography. I don't expect it to be as prevalent in aquascaping, but the rarity of it seems rather glaring to me.

For styles that emulate nature, I would understand symmetry is a hard thing to pull off. Same thing for landscape photograph, it would be similarly hard to pull off.

But for say Dutch style, I would still say it's not easy, but impossible imho. Many terrestrial manicured gardens, especially those surrounding architecture, are symmetrical. In photography, lines that form symmetry can be a subject unto itself. Symmetry can also be used as a tool of contrast, which imho is an aspect that warrant some exploration.

Just thinking out loud, not that I ever managed to create a symmetrical aquascape that I would like myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While the plants are fake, I think I found one.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-01-2016 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:57 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
symmetry isn't bad, it's hard to make interesting. You see symmetry in architecture and designs all the time.

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Do you mean two equal halves like a mirror image or just the same species of plants on either side? If the focal is dead center it would probably not be as interesting s if it was off-center. Like if you take a pic of bird on a tree branch and the bird's head was dead-center inside of off center.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Perfect symmetry may be hard to achieve as we are dealing with living things, so symmetry may be a matter of degree.

On top of my head, say with a 2G tank, I have the tank divided equally into 4 sections left to right, each planted with a different type of stem plant, I think it can look rather striking if contrasted well. In this case, the lines are symmetrical, but the focal point and texture are not.

Say with the same tank, instead of having 4 sections, I have 3 instead. A light green plant, a red plant, and a dark green plant. The focal point can be even be dead centre. It may not win any award, but done well it can look pretty slick imo.

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The trick to symmetry is since the focal point is center, you better put something really interesting there.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Here's a few from my pinterest board. I would not discribe them as perfectly symetrical, but to a more or less degree. I think the reason why we have rules for putting the focal point off center is because we try to "tell" people what they should be looking at. When you don't have a definite focal point, it's left up to the onlooker to decide where their eyes fall upon. Still beautiful works of aquatic art though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QuickMemo+_2016-07-31-15-25-38~2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	657153  

Name:	QuickMemo+_2016-07-31-15-26-35~2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	657169  

Name:	QuickMemo+_2016-07-31-15-27-34~2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	657185  

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post
While the plants are fake, I think I found one.

lovely tank (thought a bit over stocked imo since its not live plants) and omg I want those rocks!!!!!!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
I've seen that goldfish tank before. I think that's an ADG promotional tank or one they did for a client.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Symmetry is usually used in formal arrangements. Most aquascapes are casual. I'm sure symmetry could be used to create very interesting and beautiful scapes, but it's not the fashion right now.

I did find an almost-symmetrical scape for you, though.

Proud member of
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
Here's a few from my pinterest board. I would not discribe them as perfectly symetrical, but to a more or less degree. I think the reason why we have rules for putting the focal point off center is because we try to "tell" people what they should be looking at. When you don't have a definite focal point, it's left up to the onlooker to decide where their eyes fall upon. Still beautiful works of aquatic art though.

Yes this is what I meant. With the things we deal with, wood, stones, plants, it would not be possible to find 2 identical ones. So only compositional symmetry is reasonable, perfect geometrical symmetry would be impossible with natural objects.

I agree, these are nice tanks.

Those valley in the middle type of lay out are quite common, but the position of the valley tend to be so slightly off centre to avoid symmetry. The example looks pretty much perfectly centred.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
I think the reason why we have rules for putting the focal point off center is because we try to "tell" people what they should be looking at. When you don't have a definite focal point, it's left up to the onlooker to decide where their eyes fall upon
I'm starting to wonder if this also applies to people's faces. Never seen one that isn't symetrical, but it's the things that shouldn't be there that draws your attention (mole!)

In all seriousness, I think symetrical can be beautiful (just like some faces), but in nature, things don't tend to work out that way on its own. This is why I think it just looks off to us because it doesn't look natural and looks " expected" for lack of better words.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Like what I had mentioned earlier, symmetry can is difficult to do in nature style aquascape. That I perfectly understand.

But not all aquascape are meant to be natural looking. But even in Dutch style tank where it supposedly emulate terrestrial garden, it's almost non existent. I expect it to be uncommon, but not this rare. While symmetrical terrestrial gardens are not nearly this hard to find.

The only reason I can think of is the pool of Dutch style tank is very small. Like the above examples, they are nature style tanks that are not supposed to be symmetrical, yet we can find examples. Or may be it is the nature style aquascaping mentality that dominates even Dutch style tank owners. I wonder if symmetry are more prevalent in days prior to the popularity of nature style aquascaping?

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I'm starting to wonder if this also applies to people's faces. Never seen one that isn't symetrical, but it's the things that shouldn't be there that draws your attention (mole!)

In all seriousness, I think symetrical can be beautiful (just like some faces), but in nature, things don't tend to work out that way on its own. This is why I think it just looks off to us because it doesn't look natural and looks " expected" for lack of better words.
Faces are not symetrical, Don't think I have ever seen a symetrical face.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode