Need Opinions on layout/plant choice!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Need Opinions on layout/plant choice!!

First off, i have a 29g tall, 29.5" long 12" wide and 18" tall. I have 48watt light, DIY C02, I dose Flourish 2 times a week along with Flourish Excel.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=1540
(The current layout is the picture with the driftwood) sorry i couldn't figure out how to get the picture added directly to the thread.

This is what my current layout is after I just added the driftwood. On the right at the bottom of the wood is Water Sprite, about 10 plants. On the left there are three Amazon Swords. Along the back there are about 20 or so Spiral Vals that are anywhere from 3-6inches tall. I was thinking about adding some ground cover along the front of the tank, possibly some Chain Sword. I want to add something to grow on the wood itself, but I am not sure what. Maybe some sort of moss, let me know what you think! I would love to hear your suggestions on the layout and what to add and where! thanks!

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You have very high light intensity with that 2 x 24 watt T5HO light. DIY CO2 isn't going to be enough CO2. I think I would fix that problem before anything else.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You have very high light intensity with that 2 x 24 watt T5HO light. DIY CO2 isn't going to be enough CO2. I think I would fix that problem before anything else.
I am asking more than suggesting here. If he just rasied the light fixture about 1 foot???

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I need less light and more C02 in order for the plants to grow better?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yep, If you can raise the light about 8"-12" above the tank and you will still need to up your Co2, probably need a pressureized system to get the higher Co2 levels. Also you will probably need to start dosing ferts more. The main factor driving the need for Co2 and ferts is the light, two T5HO's at 20"-24" above the substrate still puts you in the high light catagory.

___My 120 Gallon___ EHEIM PIMP #407, 2x 2229, 2x 1250 Hobby Pumps, 1x Ecco 2236, and 1x Eheim Sludge Extractor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
That's a pretty deep tank. I think you can use the light as is without hanging it, but you need to:

Water changes - Weekly
Dose ferts - Eco doesn't do much
Dose Excel - Daily
Keep up with DIY co2
Keep your lighting cycle reasonable - 8/9 hr max.

If you not up for that, you'll probably have issues.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK sounds good thanks for all the input. i am totally retarded with ferts though. i don't know what to use or how much. i am guessing potassium, iron, and other stuff like that. and right now i do 20% water changes every 3 weeks. should i do 20% a week or do less like 10% or 15%? and what ferts?

Last edited by rk923; 04-21-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode