90 gallon newbie advice needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
90 gallon newbie advice needed

I have a 90 gallon aquarium cycling out right now using an Eheim Pro II 2026 and an overhang filter. I am an experienced "tropical fish" guy but am really taking this new tank to a higher level with a planted community tank.

I have a compact-fluorescent fixture with 4-65 watt Daylight 6700K bulbs.

My substrate is a gravel/flourite mixture.

I plan to add another canister filter (and remove the overhang filter) and get a CO2 setup as well.

Does the amount of CO2 injected into the tank determine the type of plants I should use?
There is no need to monitor O2 levels for the tropical fish?
Plant recommendations based on this info?
CO2 system advice?
Any other advice?

Thanks for helping a newbie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
I have a 90 gallon aquarium cycling out right now using an Eheim Pro II 2026 and an overhang filter. I am an experienced "tropical fish" guy but am really taking this new tank to a higher level with a planted community tank.
You may find even with the 2026 and a HOB filter, that you will have insufficient flow in a planted tank. This may lead to dead spots, so you may want to consider upgrading your filtration and/or getting some powerheads to ensure no dead spots. You say that you are going to get a new canister filter; what do you plan to get?

Quote:
Does the amount of CO2 injected into the tank determine the type of plants I should use?
The amount of light that you have will determine the plants that you can keep. With your current lighting, you will be able to keep nearly any kind of plant.

Quote:
None at all.

Quote:
Plant recommendations based on this info?
Depends what you want to keep. As mentioned, you have enough light to keep many different kinds of plants.

Quote:
CO2 system advice?
I would invest in a good pressurized CO2 setup, with a good regulator and a needle valve. This way, you only need to make a single time investment and not need to spend money a little down the road purchasing replacement parts.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
If the fish are gasping at the surface for air you have gone too far CO2 wise.
I would invest in a drop checker
GLA has both drop checkers and very good CO2 setups. they have a custom solenoid valve that if first rate.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

I don't have much to add other than you'll also need to get a good fertilizer regimen worked out to go along with your lighting and CO2, and dry ferts will be much cheaper in the long run than liquid. www.GreenLeafAquariums.com sells dry fert packages as does www.AquariumFertilizers.com.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode