First planted tank! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank!

Well, over the last couple of weeks I've been working on setting up my first true planted tanks. I've had Plants in tanks before but this will be my first truly planted one. Went very natural with it as I used topsoil from Lowe's under cap layer of sand, rock and driftwood from local creeks and lakes, with two lage pieces of malaysian dw as centerpieces.

Its a 55 gal with a Tetra Whisper 30 - 60 HOB filter and heater. Lighting is the supplied single bulb hood/light combo running a 48" T5 6,500k

Currently stocked as follows:

Plants-
5 - 6 anubias Nana
A clump of horn wort
1 java fern
1 unknown (possibly a spiky leafed variety of Java fern, I'll try to get a good pic)

Livestock-
7 jet black mollies
5 white mollies
1 ghost shrimp

I'm open to any suggestions/criticisms you may offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice. Hope you plan to show us when the set up is complete!

Best of luck!

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's interesting that you chose a 'dirt' substrate when all your current plants obtain their nutrients from the water column (don't forget to dose a little). Perhaps you'll add rooted plants in the future?
Good luck and keep posting!

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
A picture is worth a thousand words!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I seem to be having trouble attaching pics to a post from my phone...there is no button to add them from my gallery but I'll keep trying!
Abbeys dad - that's kinda the idea, with the dirt/sand it gives me options. Any plant suggestions you have I would be glad to hear, also dosing is one thing I still need to learn about so I'll take advice on it as well! Thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

You might think 'dirt' gives you an edge, but in time, with rooted plants it will become depleted and you will still need root tabs of some sort for rooted plants. (A couple of inches of washed out soil just can not sustain plants for long.)

I am using a silica (pool filter) sand substrate. For root tabs I'm using Seachem Flourish Tabs. For the water column I'm lightly dosing with Flourish Comprehensive and alternating between Flourish Trace and Fresh Trace.
Some report success using Osmocote or other terrestrial ferts in a gelcaps for root tabs to save money. Although these are slow release in soil, I worry that they may be slightly unstable in water and less appropriate for aquatic plants.

Different stokes for different folks but my objective with plants is to better naturalize the aquarium and [better] purify the water for the fish...so for me, the fish come first. With this in mind, my tank will be low tech with just the light and ferts to keep plants healthy without going to extremes.
(I have the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 running in 24/7 mode....again for the low tech surreal naturalism it provides [sunrise to sunset/moonlight lighting]).

All in all, I've learned that the key is balance and PATIENCE. If you have high light, you'll need more ferts and perhaps CO2. For low tech, you can have lower light, less ferts and no CO2. It's a matter of choice.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yay! I figured it out! So, here's my tank a few days after I got it all set up so it's still a little cloudy. It's looking much clearer now so I'll try to get a fresh pic when I get off of work.

This is what it was for a month or so before I "scaped" it...kinda plain and boring...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

A couple of better pics...

My tank has a slight yellow tinge to it. Possibly still some tannins leaching from the driftwood even though I soaked them for nearly 3 weeks!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-05-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
If you don't like the tannin Purigen will remove it.
Mollies are fine fish for a planted tank.
They will also do a lot of plant and substrate cleaning.

More plants in the horizon???

Growing is not that difficult.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, definitely more plants on the horizon! I don't mind the tannins too much, sorta adds to the natural aspect of it.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, my hornwort is thriving!

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57af89de...810_164226.mp4

Should also mention my snail population has exploded as well! It's kinda weird because I've put a few ramshorn snails in from another tank along with a few MTS from my snail farm (a non-stocked 30 g hex tank with and abundance of MTS). I really thought the MTS would dominate the rank but the Ramshorn seem to rule here with a few MTS here and there.

Last edited by KMCross; 08-14-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode