Why won't you sink you stupid drift wood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why won't you sink you stupid drift wood?

I have two fairly large peaces of drift wood (too big to boil) that I have had soaking for just over two months. There is a noticeable decrease in buoyancy but I don't think that's good enough. I replace the water about every three days (with very hot water) and they are both submerged with the help of a big rock. I would prefer not to drill any holes because I don't want to rule out the possibility of a future rescape.
Is there anything I can do to speed this process along? I have, literally, every thing that I need get my 75 gal started. I even have it all set up. Now I just get to look at it. The wood is integral in my hardscaping plans. Now I just need the stupid wood to sink!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
What kind of driftwood is it? Is it manzanita, malaysian, or something you found outside, etc. Some woods I find act different then others.

And yes I do remember pogs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i had a drilled piece of slate that i fed some wire through. i buried the slate leaving the wire out of the substrate and then put the wood in and wrapped the wire around it. it kept the dw down and after a few months i was able to take the wire off and the dw stayed down

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not sure what kind its is. I bought it at the lfs. I definitely know that it is not manzanita, moponni, or malaysian drift wood. I have some malaysian wood in my 20 gal and it sank immediately.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Planted Member

I'm having a similar problem, I have a lot of smaller pieces that I want to put anubias and java fern on. I'm thinking of drilling holes in an inconspicuous spot and stuffing them with lead sinkers, then siliconing it up.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
that sounds like a decent idea.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I take a piece of plexiglass and drill a hole in it then use a stainless steel screw to make a bottom plate and cover it with the tanks substrate. maybe this isnt what youre looking for as you said you didnt want to drill but a small screw hole will be hardly noticable if you decide to roll the wood over later.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd try running them through the dishwasher with no chemicals, too. My dishwasher has a "sanitize" cycle that works well. The heat can really help open up the pores for the water to get in, and also help pull out more tannins.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I found the largest pot I had, boiled one half of it, then flipped it over and boiled the other half. And then put it in a 10 gal with very hot water, and it sank in about two days.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I have drift wood which is similar, doesn't float. I have to soak it outside in a bin or bucket. To sink it I drill it and use large fishing weights to hold it down.

John

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Algae Grower

We just took care of our driftwood problem today. It's been soaking for ages, to no avail.

The driftwood was super-bouyant (that bugger could've brought up the titanic). We got a little creative though so we could make sure that there would be enough weight provided by our substrate to avoid floating. We simply got 2" stainless steel screws, put them through the plexi and only screwed in about 1/4"-1/2" of the tip into the wood. That gave us a good gap between the plexi and the wood - which means we were able to cover the ENTIRE piece of plexi with almost 2 inches of gravel, giving us that much more weight to hold it down.

Worked like a charm - all with just a screwdriver, pliers, and a little willpower

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode