Riparium questions (containers, plants, etc) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Riparium questions (containers, plants, etc)

I'm setting my 29 up as a riparium/river tank (500 GPH powerhead in the submerged part)

I need some cheap containers for the plants. I'm way too cheap to buy the nice ones hydrophyte sells (free samples? )

Also, how high can I fill the tank? I removed the upper trim. Is 2/3 safe? The tank bowed out a bit even with the trim so I don't want to over do it.
The light fixture is a 2x24W nova extreme which I can put as high or low as needed; my plan is to have taller plants growing up out of the tank.

Finally, what are some suitable, low humidity plants? How well would java moss, fern, and anubias work for the lower air levels? There are a few nurseries/landscaping stores I will stop by this weekend.

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With a lot more work, you can use a collection of wood, comparable to Manzanita branches, to form areas that could be planting areas for the emersed plants. You would need to work out how to keep the planting media in one place, so it doesn't all sift down to the tank substrate level. Doing it this way would let you include some marginal plants in the aquascape, but not set up a solid wall of plants that you can do with planter cups.

However you do it, you will have to spend some money. Why not spend it on good quality, easy to use planters?

Hoppy
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
+2 on planter cup. I myself is getting into the whole riparium scene too. Diy planter cups cost just as much as hydro's. A few extra bucks elimates all the hassle of trying to find some suitable cups, sizes, and trying to make it fit nicely. If you do plan to order from Hydro and can splurge a bit, go with the magnectic cups since they don't sag and have a support on the bottom. On the plus side, you're supporting a fellow sponsor and friend.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
I would get planters from hydrophyte, they really make a difference on the look and health of the plants.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
^x4! Riparium Supply is the best (and only!) place for riparium stuff. Depending on what you want, Riparium Supply is still running (I think) the 'Starter Package.' So three planters and three Nano Rafts. All for $26 including shipping!
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
As for plants, most peace lilys, dieffinbachia, and pileas are great riparium plants. Java fern and Anubias need high humidity to grow.
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

Peace lily, Spatiphyllum? I saw those at lowes today. I also grabbed a stem of mondo grass from the yard, is that likely to do well?

I didn't see any pilea though.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
get the planters from hydro! there really good, read my thread in the tank journal and there is loads about different plants suitable for ripariums!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Peace lily, Spatiphyllum? I saw those at lowes today. I also grabbed a stem of mondo grass from the yard, is that likely to do well?

I didn't see any pilea though.
Just remember with the Peace Lily there are many varieties and some may grow much to large for you setup.

I've got a box ready to go for you if your still interested LMK.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
I'v tried creeping fig plant(ficus pumila) for a short time and it was growing good, it has dark green heart shaped leaves... i am not sure about the long term though.
by the way ,what kind of live stock you planing to keep?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

I bought a small pot of Hemigraphis "purple waffle" and a Pilea mollis "moon valley"

What should I use as the substrate? I've got sand, flourite, and pea gravel, plus osmocote for fertilizer.

Should the planting medium be completely submerged? I'm using plastic cups with holes drilled in the sides, mounted with suction cups.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I use Flourite in my planters, over about an inch of hydroton balls, with a few bits of Osmocote on top of the hydroton. You can also use a small quantity of mineralized topsoil between the hydroton and Flourite, in place of the Osmocote. I'm not sure we know what the "best" things to use are.

Hoppy
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What I find works best for me so far is that I fill the platners 2/3 to 3/4 full of hydroton and cap with a thin layer of Planter Gravel (Basically Flourite). This has given my tank phenomenal growth and great looking root systems. I started doing this with all my planters. I then put 1-2 of the Root Medic Capsules in the planters.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Where can I find hydroton and osmocote?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
Where can I find hydroton and osmocote?
Every hydroponics store in CA should sell Hydroton, that or google it.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode