DIY Co2 discovery - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 discovery

i made this discovery totally by accident. anyway whenever i make DIY co2, it seems that the co2 production from the two liter soda bottles is lacking at best. recently while trying out different methods of generating Co2 (i.e. using ro water, tap water, adding baking soda etc.) i sealed off one of these hagen co2 bottles that come with the co2 ladder, put it aside and forgot about it because it wasn't producing any co2 - then next day i uncapped it to empty it and the pressure inside the bottle was pretty impressive - water shot out of the container - i immediately connected it to the co2 ladder in my 75 gallon tank and the co2 going up the ladder is amazing! in the past whenever i made co2 in the hagen generator bottle or the two liter soda bottles i always left the cap off while the yeast worked its magic. is anyone here sealing the bottle after making the yeast mixture and then after about a day hooking it up the the tank?? is this the proper way. seems to me that it is.

thx, john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the hagen one in my 10 gallon, i just mix it, cap it, and hook it up. after an hour i get bubbles going up the ladder. and in good amounts. it never took me a day to see that
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
All you did is build up pressure for a day... It won't make it run any better tomorrow... It could easily blow it up or make a huge, nasty sticky mess... I would never "shut off" diy co2.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what recipe are you guys using? i tried a few times and never got any bubbles going up the ladder
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
It could easily blow it up or make a huge, nasty sticky mess... I would never "shut off" diy co2.
+1. Shutting off DIY CO2 is just asking for trouble...

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
ask my wife, we cleaned up 6.5 gallons of sweet red wine from the livingroom after a cherry seed got lodged in the blowoff tube and shattered the glass carboy. cutting off co2 escape is a bad idea. using brewers yeast will give better results than bread yeast and all it takes to start a new batch is a lttle bit of the old one. and leave plenty of head space or you diy juice will end up in your tank.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

Hmm for best results i fill with water, add dechlorinator + baking soda (1 tsp) add Macro + Micro Nutrients and fill with as much sugar as i can get to dissolve without leaving much on the bottom.

Then i mix the yeast in another bottle, wait for it to active and mix em toghether!

No froth...lots and lots of CO2 for about 1 month before it starts to lose vigor.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno2090 View Post
Hmm for best results i fill with water, add dechlorinator + baking soda (1 tsp) add Macro + Micro Nutrients and fill with as much sugar as i can get to dissolve without leaving much on the bottom.

Then i mix the yeast in another bottle, wait for it to active and mix em toghether!

No froth...lots and lots of CO2 for about 1 month before it starts to lose vigor.
What macro and micronutrients are you adding to a yeast mixture?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
What macro and micronutrients are you adding to a yeast mixture?
x2.... This doesn't make sense to me since ALL yeast needs is SUgar. The micro and macro nutrients(fertilizer?) have no positive effect on the production of co2 and I have never heard of doing this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

hmm theres quite a few of us in the UK that do it, theory behind it is Yeast is an organism and to keep it healthy and allow it to increase in population it needs nutrients i hate to say it but it seems to make a difference... i get about 3 bps out of a 2 litre for around a month, i never get any "head" on the mix either...

Dunno give it a try its my mix and ill be sticking to it
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 AM

So you add potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, and a micronutrient mix like CSM+B to your DIY yeast mixture?

Anthony

and

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
there is no need to add nutrients to the mixture, you dont need the yeast to grow, just to live. and to live they need energy (sugar), and as a result, make CO2 in respiration.

btw, you shouldnt leave the cap off. that way the yeast get O2 and use aerobic respiration for their energy needs. otherwise, they are forced to use anaerobic respiration, which produces much more CO2 per calorie freed up for the yeast cells.
Aerobic Respiration:
C6H12O6+6O2=6CO2+6H2O yields the energy for 36 ATP
Anaerobic Respiration:
C6H12O6=2C2H5OH(ethanol)+2CO2 yields energy for 2 ATP
so for the same amount of ATP, the yeast must break down 18 glucose molecules, which releases 36 CO2. This means each cell will liberate 6 times more CO2 if you deprive it of oxygen. however, once the C2H5OH levels reach 12% or so, the cells die of alcohol poisoning. thats when you change the solution.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
there is 22% high gravity yeast too that will do better if you add nutrients if your culturing from jar to jar instead of starting new yeast each time.

My 65g jungle October rain

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode