Wood trim vrs black trim.. repile tank vrs fish tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By FuelingFire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Wood trim vrs black trim.. repile tank vrs fish tank?

So growing up I was taught:
black trim on a tank= built to handle water pressure aka fish tank.
wood trim on a tank=not built to handle water pressure aka reptile tank, don't fill with water.
Is this still true?
I see a lot of used aquariums for sale on cregslist with wood trim that I shy away from thinking they aren't built to handle water pressure, and being large 100+g tanks I don't' want to buy one that' going to burst when filled because its not built to take the water pressure and leave me with a giant nightmarish mess!

Do any of you have wood trimmed fish tanks (large tanks)? How long have they been running? No bowing/leaks?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I dont think thats true. I think the wood trimmed tanks are typically a bit older as that was a popular look for a while. I've got an older 55 and 29 with wood grain trim and they are holding up just fine. Although I'm sure some wood trimmed (and some black trimmed) tanks could be reptile tanks. Usually the thickness of the glass is a way to tell for sure.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Trim is just that, trim. What trim is added depends on what they think will sell the best. Thump the glass to tell if it is thick enough.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yea its based on the Glass not the trim. Like PlantedRich said. It is though just a fashion thing really.
lnstevens and lnstevens like this.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a 90G with wood trim. You used to be able to order it as an option, but not 100% sure that's the case anymore. Reptile tanks are noticeably thinner, lighter and have thinner outer (the one inside the tank) silicone beads, if any.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have an old 75 with wood trim. While it doesn't have a center brace it is 1/2" glass. Would definitely feel ok filling it with water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
In MY experience with lots and lots of used aquariums, the wood trim is found on the Oceanic brand of aquariums. I'm sure it's possible that another company made some at some point.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
All of them offered wood trim and most of them still do (Aqueon and Marineland still do).

Wood trim was a looks think and has no effect on functionality.

Typically the way to tell the difference is a tank that was built for reptiles will have a slider in the top trim for a screen, but that is not always the case.

And I would say over 50% of your reptile people are using standard aquariums, especially when you hit 55 and go up.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.

Tags
aquarium, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode