When I came home from work yesterday. The water still looked extremely cloudy. It had cleared slightly. However, the substrate had a blanket of sediment/powder/silt on top of it from all the sediment in the water settling to the bottom. It really looked terrible.
I followed the steps below and as of this morning the tank is almost clear and the ADA Aquasoil I looks brand new with no sediment/powder/dust on top of the substrate. You can see the individual Aquasoil pebbles.
Here is what I did:
1. I did a 100% water change until all you had was the moist ADA Aquasoil I. I used a gravel vac and vacuumed the surface of the substrate only penetrating the substrate to a depth of maybe a inch. I made sure to vacuum every inch of the substrate. I did this until I had drained all the water in the tank.
2. I then placed a plastic bowl on top of the substrate. I gently poured water from a pitcher into the bowl. As the water level continued to rise the bowl, being plastic, floated. I continued to pour water into the bowl until the water level reached the top of the tank.
3. I then placed filter floss in my AquaClear power filter in addition to a Purigen pouch.
I checked the tank this morning roughly 12 hours later I was in utter amazement. The Aquasoil looks brand new. There is no sediment/powder residue on the substrate. You can see the individual Aquasoil peebles.
The water is nearly crystal clear. It has that slight haze that you get with new tank setups, but definitely not the chocolate milk mess that I had my 1st attempt.