South American tank suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
South American tank suggestions?

Whats up everyone. Ok here is whats on my mind, Going to make my 240g a South American themed tank. Here is what I was thinking, I think I want tetra's, it be cool to have my rummy's schooling in a 8' tank. I'm not looking to do Oscars, Discus, or Convicts. (have done all three looking for something diff.) I really like my old black water tank's, and thinking of making this a Black water tank as well. so Here is my rambling thoughts.

I thought about Geophagus cichlids. But I don't think they would be good in a Dirted tank. How ever I am not sure if I am Dirting the entire tank but it will be Dirted for my Swords. Anyone have these cichlids, can you tell me your experience with them.

I think my theme will be a flooded Forest. So leaf litter, Amazon swords, maybe some amazon chain sword, or other type of carpet plant. (S/A plant.) A lot of Driftwood. and I might do a 3d background of a eroding soil (ish) river bank with roots and all. still debating that. will have Amazon frog bite as my canopy plant. So the tank will be a subdue lighting. Low light tank.

On to the stocking. I have no idea what i want. I know I do not want Big fish. unless the Geo's would be ok in a dirted tank ( i doubt they would tho) So I am thinking of hatchets and rummy's, Maybe Black skirts. And Maybe a 3rd school of tetra. (numbers Are another thing I need to consider) Catfish I was thinking of would be Cory's, My bristlenose, and my whiptail. (I would love to have a school of pictus, but I don't know if they be good or not) also thinking of the Porthole Catfish Dianema longibarbis). Maybe you have some other Suggestions.

For the Center piece fish, I was thinking Angels, about 6 or 8. But If I could get a odd ball Center piece fish, that maybe rare, or hard to find, or whatever, and that will be good with tetra's I would go that route first. So maybe if you can suggest some good centerpiece fish. (please no rams I have rams now and Love them but they will stay in my 75. I don't want them in this tank. Besides I want my center piece fish to be larger then the Rams.

If there is anyhting else you might think would work in this tank. Please tell me. As I have a hard time making up my mind when it comes to this tank. Was also thinking of apisto's as well but based on the catfish stocking, it may be to many bottom dwellers.

So please give me your idea's, Also if your wondering on my filtration I am running a 60g plywood sump (because i had all the supply's to make one.) with a constant drip system.

one last question/thought; I haven't decided on if I am going to dirt the entire tank, and make it a heavily planted tank. or if I am only going to dirt section where i want My amazon swords and chain swords and other root feeding plants to grow. (the reason I dirt all my tanks. Its better for me than root tabs.) But Again What would you do? please give me your thoughts.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a favorite fish that is old in the hobby but still not seen much where I've looked. Not terribly hard to find if you look. Rainbow cichlids are one of my first love fish as they adapt so well if they are not put in with too many bullies. Very peacefull but very interesting when they breed. Wonderful color changes.

Cichlid Profiles

Convicts, no as they are too common for the amount of trouble they can be. Angels are too "normal". Geos, I don't think I would in dirted tanks.
But then you do have a few thousand to choose from? What do YOU like?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 AM
Algae Grower

Headstanders are always incredible in an Amazonian tetra tank. Some species will school, others best by themselves. Most get around 8".

I love rummy-nose tetras.
Emperor tetras, penguin tetras are my other favorites.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@PlantedRich: The rainbows are a Beautiful cichlid, Your right about Angel's being to normal, that's why I really would prefer something other than them. I like Firemouth Cichlids. but they are from central America, and I know that i can cheat and put really anything i want in and no one would know... But i would know and that would drive me crazy. and I honestly don't even know what to look for as a center piece, with the vast majority of fish, it's hard to really find something with out Others helping with their own exp.. and likes. I think that's what makes forums like this great, is the wealth of exp.. shared and the knowledge that is given.

@Jm2190; Headstanders Seem cool, although I have never seen one. I think i will do some research on them, The size of 8" is kinda larger than i like though. I Kinda like smaller fish Makes a tank look larger. the reason for not wanting Big fish is they really make large tanks look small. But I will check them out. Rummy's, Black neon's, and Bloodfin's are my Most favorite tetra's.

I should add one more thing, My Center piece fish does not have to be a cichlid. I know cichlid's are the most common of Being a centerpiece because of their diversity. But If their is a fish that would make a great center piece that isn't necessarily a Cichlid, Please feel free to share it.

Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-20-2016 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Somebody who might make some input on geo's?

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21...ning-mode.html
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Personally, I think an arowana would be supercool in that large of a tank, but it gets larger than 8" and would LOVE your tetras...one at a time.

Olskule
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm a fan of apistogramma which should work well with what your goals are.
Orchidee and Orchidee like this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Olskule; I love Arowanna's But my tank is only 2 foot wide and they really need a wider tank. But I do love them. maybe one day i'll get one. but not for this tank. even though I have thought about it a lot.

@Iksdrinker; I love Apistogramma's but i can't see them as a centerpiece fish, the tank is to large they would be lost in the tank as far as being a center piece.

I don't mind a Larger fish for the centerpiece. it just has to be able to not eat every fish in the tank. I will refrain from Small dwarf fish like the dwarf corys or the small neons. If i have to for a certain fish. I just want the tank to look full but not so much full of big fish, if that makes any sense. I don't mind a fish that is 8 inches or even 10 inches as long as it is a center piece. and wont eat black neons or other larger tetra.

I am trying to think outside the box. even if i did a community tank with pictus catfish or other types of catfish as my bottom dwellers and other types of fish that don't have to be tetra's. The point I am making is I want to explore options that are not necessarily the norm of everyone else's S/A tanks. Yes I would like to keep to the smaller side of fish, But I'm not going to limit my self to 2 or 3 inch size fish. I just don't want Large fish is the point I am trying to make. I mean Oscar size fish. Unless I go with Geo's I really like something that isn't so much a cichlid. But I am really trying to find something that appeals to me. I am not trying to contradict myself i'm just trying to get options. I hope I am making sense. I feel like i am confusing my own self. (isn't hard to do)

Last edited by FuelingFire; 07-18-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: editing.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelingFire View Post

@Iksdrinker; I love Apistogramma's but i can't see them as a centerpiece fish, the tank is to large they would be lost in the tank as far as being a center piece.

I don't mind a Larger fish for the centerpiece. it just has to be able to not eat every fish in the tank. I will refrain from Small dwarf fish like the dwarf corys or the small neons. If i have to for a certain fish. I just want the tank to look full but not so much full of big fish, if that makes any sense. I don't mind a fish that is 8 inches or even 10 inches as long as it is a center piece. and wont eat black neons or other larger tetra.

Fair enough. I too thought apistos would be tiny and could get lost in that tank; but your first post specifically said you wanted no large fish! A tank that size would allow you to have multiple types of (insert species here) that are typically said to be aggressive towards one another as you'll have plenty of hiding spaces. I think a few different types of apisto could be pretty cool in a large tank.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah. I guess i just don't want a tank buster or a tank terror. I guess as long as the fish is fine with other fish and smaller fish. (i know if its to small they become lunch) but I just looking for something to flow with the tank that isn't going to be a tank buster or going to kill its tank mates. I know I am asking a lot.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Just as far a dirt goes. You could put the Amazon swords or other plants in clay pots with dirt and capped with sand/gravel. That way, you could have your Geophagus in a non dirted tank. It would also allow you to move them around as you please. Not great aesthetically, but practical. If you had enough leaf lighter you could use it to hide the pots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah i don't put anything unnatural in my tank. To tacky. I like to keep it as real as possible. but i had thought about making a barrier so the geos could not actually get to the soil layer kinda like using a weed barrier. But I don't know if I am going to go with geo's, the more i research them the less I would want them in this setup.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What about Severums? Lots of color choices, I believe fit the SA theme. Fairly peaceful and decent size?

Electric Blue Acaras also pop into my head, little more common but not super common.

Both will possibly snack on some of your smaller tetras, but if you do the Tetras first and let them get some size on them.

St. Louis, Missouri
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
That post just made me want to do a community tank. now I don't know what to do.. thanks, thanks a lot. Well now it's back to the drawing board. ugh so many choices, not enough tanks...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode