White Haze On Under Drop Checker? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
White Haze On Under Drop Checker?

Hey there's some kind of white haze or film.. It really looks like a little cloud under my drop checker (Which I can't seem to get to green even though there are thousands of tiny co2 bubbles floating throughout the tank).. Any ideas? Is this bad or benign?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
How long has the drop checker been in place?

Are you using tank water or the 4dk solution?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's been in there for about a 5 days to a week.. Well I used 4 drops of the reagent and then filled the rest with a little tank water to make the level of the drop checker at half full. If that makes sense.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantToScubaInMyTank View Post
Hey there's some kind of white haze or film.. It really looks like a little cloud under my drop checker (Which I can't seem to get to green even though there are thousands of tiny co2 bubbles floating throughout the tank).. Any ideas? Is this bad or benign?
What method are you injecting CO2? DIY or pressurized? If it is via DIY, it may just be the yeast gunk that accumulates naturally (it is harmless). You can slow down its formation with a gas separator.

Quote:
It's been in there for about a 5 days to a week.. Well I used 4 drops of the reagent and then filled the rest with a little tank water to make the level of the drop checker at half full. If that makes sense.
For the drop checker, in combination with the pH reagent (bromothymol blue), you must use a known dkH reference solution and not tank water so that the pH/kH/CO2 relationship can be used accurately.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Im not sure exactly what it is, but I have that in mine, and its been like that over a year. I imagine just gunk.

Edit: Oh Misunderstood, mines inside my drop checker.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Planted Member

I had the exact same thing on mine for the first month. I am pretty sure it was fungus.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
What method are you injecting CO2? DIY or pressurized? If it is via DIY, it may just be the yeast gunk that accumulates naturally (it is harmless). You can slow down its formation with a gas separator.

At the moment I do have a functional gas seperating bottle with some water in it.

For the drop checker, in combination with the pH reagent (bromothymol blue), you must use a known dkH reference solution and not tank water so that the pH/kH/CO2 relationship can be used accurately.
This I don't quite understand.. Known dkh ref solution? My tank water is around 4 kh or are you talking about a certain type of chemical? New to the drop checker.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry that was the first time I used the quote button.. Messed it up a little.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
This I don't quite understand.. Known dkh ref solution? My tank water is around 4 kh or are you talking about a certain type of chemical? New to the drop checker.
Unfortunately, you cannot use aquarium water in your drop checker even if the kH of your aquarium water is around 4 dkH. This is because the pH/kH/CO2 relationship can only be used to accurately estimate the CO2 level if carbonates are the only buffering agent in your water. This is not the case with aquarium water. As there are other buffering agents present in aquarium water, it will skew the results of your kH test, meaning that you cannot accurately estimate the CO2 levels.

As a result of this shortcoming, the use of a 4 dkH reference solution inside a drop checker was "invented." This involves making a reference solution (of 4 dkH) whereby the only buffering agent is carbonate. When used inside a drop checker, this reference solution can then accurately estimate the levels of CO2.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Interesting.. And how does one go about making a 4 dkh solution? Or is it sold? Thanks again.. I've probably been having wrong readings this whole time (hopefully because it looks pretty blue to me, heh)..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anthony hit it on the head -)
You can mix your own 4dhk solution or purchase it on line.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Interesting.. And how does one go about making a 4 dkh solution? Or is it sold? Thanks again.. I've probably been having wrong readings this whole time (hopefully because it looks pretty blue to me, heh)..
You can make it yourself or you can purchase it.

Here are the instructions for making it:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ndard-how.html

Anthony

and

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Right on man.. Question answered. Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode