planted blue ram tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
planted blue ram tank?

hi, i am new to the hobby and would appreciate any advice/ experience, i have a new 80l corner tank which i am in the process of setting up in the hope of keeping electric blue rams, i have added oppropriate flora and plant substrate & will be adding RO water, i only have basic 2x11w lighting which came with the tank so have done research & chosen suitable plants, my question is what would be the best stocking numbers of blue rams in this size tank, how many plants, the best co2 system to use & the best way to cycle my tank before adding the fish?
thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Algae Grower

Greetings and welcome to the hobby!

With a tank that size it is probably best to get a pair. You could attempt the harem thing and get a male and a few females but often once a pair has formed the other females will get chased to death.

I have heard that you can keep several of the same sex together as well since most often aggression occurs only after a mating pair forms and becomes territorial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
80L = ~20 gallons. Personally I wouldn't add more than one pair. Territory space will eventually become an issue if you keep more than that when breeding time comes around. Otherwise they aren't really aggressive to other species of fish generally, but will chase anything that gets in their "space". (In my tank that's any fish that gets within a few inches of the substrate anywhere in the tank. Individual personalities do vary however.)

Lower lighting / shady spots suit them much better than bright lights. In shade/low lighting electric blues look like gas flames flickering underwater...in high lighting they look pale/washed out and genuinely less interesting than regular blue rams.

If you plant it heavy from the start you're more likely to have a "silent cycle", but keep in mind that most slow growing low light plants don't uptake nutrients (like NH4+/NH3 aka ammonia) as quickly as fast growers. Not the safest route if you're a newbie, especially if it turns out you've got a brown thumb. ~_^ If you can get a healthy portion of filter media from someone else you can add a few of your hardiest fish right away. You can always cycle "fishless" with pure ammonia if you're unsure, but there are several types of algae that LOVE excess ammonia floating around.

As for CO2...pressurized is harder on the wallet initially, but DIY is less stable, especially if your house fluctuates in temperatures. There are quite a few Brits that use pressurized system built with fire extinguisher canisters (which I think thread opposite of US models), but I'm not sure what the preferred regulators available there are.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Algae Grower

i probably wouldnt keep more then a pair, maybe, i have 5 in my 55 and only 1 pair that breeds, however the other male has breed with the the current pair female in the past.

rams are extremely sensitive, when every fish is loving life, rams will look healthy one day and drop dead the next, for me i noticed a much better survival rate when i just fed them frozen foods,(spirulina brine shrimp, blood worms, mysis shrimp) and freeze dried tubifex worms, then when i fed them dried foods like flakes & granules.

also make sure and keep that water warm, i keep mine around 86 degrees, but have had them in as hot as 90 degrees when fighting ich, never lost one in that temp and they never look stressed, they even layed eggs at that temp, lol,

you probably wont be able to grow a whole lot under that type of lighting, so co2 shouldnt be much a concern
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygstacks View Post
you probably wont be able to grow a whole lot under that type of lighting, so co2 shouldnt be much a concern
I thought adding CO2 would allow the plants to focus more on making use of the available light and less on CO2 intake. I would think a pair of slow release bottles would be ideal. Any additional CO2 will help.

CB
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

thankyou for all of your help and advice, i am going to stick with 1 pair and a bristlenose plec, i am thinking of adding plants and ro water then dosing the tank with some live bacteria for 6 weeks before adding the rams as this will also give the plants time to root into the substate securely before the rams go in and start digging around lol, i am also probably going to go for the pressurised co2 even though more exspensive will probably be better in the long run, would it be best to buy a breeding pair rather than 2 rams from the lfs in the hope that they will pair up?
thanks debra.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode