Replacing/painting green EHEIM inlet and outlet pipes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Replacing/painting green EHEIM inlet and outlet pipes

Hi
so I would love to replace my green EHEIM inlet and outlet pipes. I have a black mat background and the pipes stick out like a sore thumbs. I was wondering which would be the cheapest and safest way to go. Spay paint or PVC. Do they make PVC in 12/16 mm?
Thanks

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you can go without the filter for a few days, I would go for spray painting to match the background. I find no problem with any of the cheap spray cans with a bit of prep work. Most things need to be roughed up just a bit by light sanding to give the paint something to grip better. Matching PVC can be done but then it is still the wrong color and getting the size fit is more trouble than I go with doing.

When using paint it is critical to let it dry fully so that all the volatile items that smell are gone before adding to the tank.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Use Krylon Fusion for Plastic. Works great I've used it on my Eheim Intake when I had a black background.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

If your very lazy, like I am, Eheim makes Installation Set 1 (intake) and install set 2 (return) in gray and translucent gray. You can see them here (offsite link) -
Eheim Water System Installation Sets Note that they come in two different sizes. They are rather expensive though. A pair is about $70.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
If your very lazy, like I am, Eheim makes Installation Set 1 (intake) and install set 2 (return) in gray and translucent gray. You can see them here (offsite link) -
Eheim Water System Installation Sets Note that they come in two different sizes. They are rather expensive though. A pair is about $70.
I have those too, but they're not black. They still show up against a black background. I painted those as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Algae Grower

Use clear glass pipe, like this one?
glass lily pipes set
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
There are Glass Lily Pipes, Acrylic Lily Pipes, and Stainless Steel Lily Pipes. Then evilbay and Amazon both have various 12/16 intake and return options.

It comes down to personal preference. I have 2 sets of the Green Eheim Pipes in my 75 right now, but I intend to replace those both with Lily Pipes in the near future. I just haven't decided which ones on glass vrs ss.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Man I WOULD love the glass lily pipes, but that's a bit out of my budget for right now...sigh.
I have two other tanks in the planing process and hope to use the glass pipes in at least one of them.
I haven't seen the grayish/black EHEIM pipes in a tank so I have no opinion, other then than the price.
What will probably end up doing is using the flat black Krylon spray paint, taking the spray bar and intake pipes off, pulling the intake tubing up and securing it with a suction cup, I'll add a pre filter to the intake to prevent any fishes from getting sucked up, it doesn't have to be perfect just functional for a couple of days.
I wounder if I can spray the vinyl tubing that connects to the spray bar?

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
You do know a Hinterfield set on evilbay is only around $25 w/ free shipping right?

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Banned

Hubble, what kind of tank do you have?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Instevens, Yes that may be true, but since I am out of work due to serious illness, and short term disability hasn't kicked in yet I literally have no money,luckily we have two incomes so I don't think we will become homeless. My tank is my distraction from all this and adds some joy to my situation.

houseofcards, I have

28 gal heavily planted
30% water change once a week
2013 EHIEM
DIY co2
Aquaticlife fixture with 2 T5HO bulbs
A small 10 inch LED 10" strip light with blue and white bulbs mostly because I like the moon lighting and I can get a sunset affect in the evenings by just running the white lights
Echo complete, now supplemented with fert tabs
I dose Flourish comprehensive, and Flourish Iron once a week

Amazon sword which I prune back fairly often
Java moss
assorted java fern
lots of jungle val
tiger lotus
madigascar lace (its having a bit of trouble but since adding co2 its coming along)
Aponogeton boivinianus Its also coming along
Cryptocoryne parva
Staurogyne repens
Anubias and Aubias nana
Water lettuces
Frogbit
Amazon Frogbit

Warning this tank is a bit over stocked !

7 Panda Corys
10 Pork Chop Rosboras
12? Emerald Dwarf Rosboras I only see them if i sit very still by the tank and during feeding time
2 pairs of Aphyosemion australe
6-8 cherry shrimp
10-12 amanos
3 assassin snails
pond snials and Malaysian trumpet snails
every one is happy and spawning

I do water testing 2 times a week just to make sure everything is all good emeralds need really clean water but all my parameters are consistently at zero.
This was my first planted tank set up Ive had it for about 6 years, I've had a couple of fishpocalypses in that time, all very good learning experiences. It is now finally very balanced no algae problems, for now anyway, (there will always be algae) ,at this time it is in balance.

I am planing two more tanks
A 10gal CRS tank, and a 50 gal SE Asian Gourami habitat.
I bought the 50gal used for $60, which tuned out to be a 47gal and am in the process of resealing it.
I also bought a 60 gal used for $60, It seems very old and its kind of a monster, weighs twice as much as the newer tank. I'm going to clean it up and refurbish that tank to, but I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.
This is all going to take me forever I fatigued easily so can only work for short periods of time. But that's OK the point is to do what you love right!

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436

Last edited by hubble13; 07-14-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Needed to corect name of plant

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode