Brand new Canister filter. Can I just rinse off or do I need bleach? - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
  • 8 Post By Immortal1
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By SpaceLord

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brand new Canister filter. Can I just rinse off or do I need bleach?

I purchased a brand new Canister filter from Ebay.

Its a sunsun brand, it comes with some filter material in the canister.

Can I just rinse off with pressurized water from a garden hose or do I need bleach the whole thing?

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:47 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
All I have ever done with the filters I have is rinse them off. Never used bleach on any of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Same here. Rinse media, prime filter and plug in.

Just a noob

Last edited by Nlewis; 07-13-2016 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Edit

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've always just rinsed my new aquarium products with decholorinated water.. Never had a problem.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I always rinse them and everything else in the bathtub with warm water.Never had a problem.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I rinse in tap water. The tap water has bleach already in some form, either chlorine or chloramine, so it is likely to deal with most pollutants we would expect to find in a new filter. If it were a used filter from an unknown/untrusted source, I would run it through a stronger bleach soak.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

The cool thing about clorox is it is instant sterilization of anything it touches. So unless you have something thick like sponges which need to soak a few minutes to get the clorox completely thru the holes, a quick dip and your done. I keep a bucket of the stuff in water in the kitchen and outside. Dishes, aquarium nets, hands, anything just get a quick dip and quick rinse. I'm lucky enough to have my boys still living with me, and they gross up the kitchen. Never wash anything well. So I've gotten used to dipping utensils before use. Maybe a bit OCD, but my gut feels better.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
The cool thing about clorox is it is instant sterilization of anything it touches. So unless you have something thick like sponges which need to soak a few minutes to get the clorox completely thru the holes, a quick dip and your done. I keep a bucket of the stuff in water in the kitchen and outside. Dishes, aquarium nets, hands, anything just get a quick dip and quick rinse. I'm lucky enough to have my boys still living with me, and they gross up the kitchen. Never wash anything well. So I've gotten used to dipping utensils before use. Maybe a bit OCD, but my gut feels better.

The problem is that is also will kill your fish if there is anything remaining. If it gets everywhere, then its hard to rinse off. You have to them let it soak in a tub of water with prime in it.

I did not know if it was overkill on a brand new canister filter right from the factory never used.

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
The problem is that is also will kill your fish if there is anything remaining. If it gets everywhere, then its hard to rinse off. You have to them let it soak in a tub of water with prime in it.

I did not know if it was overkill on a brand new canister filter right from the factory never used.

Thanks.
This is not correct in that it does not require rinsing to remove the chlorine. Chlorine is a gas and will gas off and blow away if you give it time to dry. Rinsing is often suggested as it does dilute the bleach and that does make it less to blow away. The main reason I rinse things after soaking is to reduce the chances of the remaining bleach getting on my clothes strong enough to make holes.

Since it is summer time in many places, now might be a good time for folks to test this idea. Put a container outside, add a half cup of bleach and wait. You are likely to find you soon have a bucket of mosquito larva. The chlorine is no longer there to kill the larva!

When maintaining pool and spa water we have to keep adding chlorine as it gasses off and blows away. It works the same way in our tanks. Chloramine does not gas off as well so we use treatments like Prime.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This is not correct in that it does not require rinsing to remove the chlorine. Chlorine is a gas and will gas off and blow away if you give it time to dry. Rinsing is often suggested as it does dilute the bleach and that does make it less to blow away. The main reason I rinse things after soaking is to reduce the chances of the remaining bleach getting on my clothes strong enough to make holes.

Since it is summer time in many places, now might be a good time for folks to test this idea. Put a container outside, add a half cup of bleach and wait. You are likely to find you soon have a bucket of mosquito larva. The chlorine is no longer there to kill the larva!

When maintaining pool and spa water we have to keep adding chlorine as it gasses off and blows away. It works the same way in our tanks. Chloramine does not gas off as well so we use treatments like Prime.
Chloramine will last weeks without breaking down. This is why I get so mad when I see a youtuber saying " oh, let your water sit for a couple day and save the money on the commercial water conditioner products"
Chloramines with water conditioner products will create ammonia as a byproduct probably equal is not more dangerous than the chloramines you were trying to eliminate unless it had additional chemicals to temporary deal with the ammonia.

Thanks for the tips on bleach. Great stuff especially if there was an Ebola outbreak. They actually make a ditch around an area and fill it with bleach I have heard.
lnstevens and lnstevens like this.

10 gallon betta tank
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Chloramine will last weeks without breaking down. This is why I get so mad when I see a youtuber saying " oh, let your water sit for a couple day and save the money on the commercial water conditioner products"
Chloramines with water conditioner products will create ammonia as a byproduct probably equal is not more dangerous than the chloramines you were trying to eliminate unless it had additional chemicals to temporary deal with the ammonia.

Thanks for the tips on bleach. Great stuff especially if there was an Ebola outbreak. They actually make a ditch around an area and fill it with bleach I have heard.
Somebody gets their information from the tube and doesn't check it? Yeah, that's part of the problem.
Like the part about the ditch full of bleach? Chlorine reacts very well with organics. Dirt is an organic so all the bleach would be wasted when it reacts with the dirt.
Filling a ditch with bleach would be very dumb!

Both chlorine and chloramine are good things when used in the right way but bad when they are not. Just like fire or water, we have to know enough about using them to avoid hurting something!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Somebody gets their information from the tube and doesn't check it? Yeah, that's part of the problem.
Like the part about the ditch full of bleach? Chlorine reacts very well with organics. Dirt is an organic so all the bleach would be wasted when it reacts with the dirt.
Filling a ditch with bleach would be very dumb!

Both chlorine and chloramine are good things when used in the right way but bad when they are not. Just like fire or water, we have to know enough about using them to avoid hurting something!
I sometimes get my information from youtube and don't check it. For example, my Samsung tablet was frozen and I was following a step by step direction on how to reflash the firmware.

Perhaps the ditch filled with bleach are lined with something to prevent it reacting to the dirt. I do know when that Ebola outbreak was going on, people I knew wanted to stock up on bleach.

Anyway, its a bad idea to have incorrect information on youtube especially dealing with live fish.

10 gallon betta tank
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The internet is both good and bad for information. It does open up a whole new area for us to find a vast amount of information. But along with that good side is the bad side. All it takes to be on the internet is the grit to pass yourself off as an expert.
So that leaves us more prone to getting bad info than if a guy had to really write a book and let somebody decide it was worth printing.
That leaves us down to looking for ourselves at things like bleach and understanding why rather than simply taking info that is written as being true. We all know that we can read we will get lots of money if we send our bank info to somebody and many of us can see right through that but we often flinch when it comes to some of the simple stuff like bleach.
The next time you read about bleach soaking into wood and staying by leaving some kind of residue, ask a few more questions.

Good questions to ask might be these:
Which of the three parts of bleach is dangerous?
How do you get something to soak in but not dry out?
How is it even possible to get wood to hold bleach without having the chemical reaction?

And then the big final test of something being true? Ask if they actually USE bleach or did they just read the info and don't actually know. They will often have several stories they have heard and believe so mark them down. You can make a lot of money from people who believe everything they read on the internet. Just send them a few phony e-mails and watch the money roll in!!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

I replace about approx 100 gal per day in 300 gal tank (flow-through system, which dumps water in garden). We have residual chlorine and its by-products in city water (according to their report). Never had any problems with fish and plants.
I used chlorine to clean aquarium equipment and put it back after rinsing. Never had any problems. CHlorine reacts with organics right away. Chloramines create ammonia, which will be "eaten" by plants
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikluha View Post
I replace about approx 100 gal per day in 300 gal tank (flow-through system, which dumps water in garden). We have residual chlorine and its by-products in city water (according to their report). Never had any problems with fish and plants.
I used chlorine to clean aquarium equipment and put it back after rinsing. Never had any problems. CHlorine reacts with organics right away. Chloramines create ammonia, which will be "eaten" by plants
If you feel its harmless, try dumping your fish in the pool or bleach into your tank and see what happens(joking) .

Actually, please don't do that. I will save you the trouble and just tell you that you fish will die.

Do you think all those products sold at Pet stores to condition water is just a billion dollar scam?

Look, in certain areas, the water have to travel longer and further to reach your house than other and obviously by the time the water reaches your house most of the chlorine has evaporated. That is one of the reason the federal government is pushing local water districts to switch to Chloramine vs Chlorine.( Chloramine last a lot longer and is more stable but does not disinfect as well)

So you are only slowly killing and/or torturing your fish rather than instantly killing them unless you are far enough down the pipeline that your water may have 0% chlorine in which case you are at risk of bacteria forming in the water again.

Do you smell chlorine in your tap water? There are chemical test in which you can test this theory.

10 gallon betta tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode