Desktop Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Desktop Aquarium

I am working on building an aquarium on my computer desk. I have built a rack to mount my monitors up on, above the tank, and have a tv mounted above that. I want to build wall mount computer cases that will be hidden behind the tv. I am going to be using acrylic as a hood along with a vent to move the humid air away. I also have LEDs coming for a light show, and will have them programmed for different shows. I still have a long way to go. Its sure coming along nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160711_083353.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	651545  

Name:	20160711_081246.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	651553  

Name:	20160711_081228.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	651561  

Name:	20160711_081257.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	651569  

Name:	20160711_083344.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	651577  

Teebo and Teebo like this.

Ask me for my public key!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

humidity+electronics=tears
irishspy, irishspy, DaveK and 5 others like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
not to mention dangerous.

electricity + water = BBQ

I've had a 10G tank to the right of my monitor. That worked fine. I would never put electrical stuff on or below a tank.
irishspy, irishspy, DaveK and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The monitors are on an independent mount. There's nothing dangerous about it as long as they never come in contact. I build the frame and mount strong. Humidity is the only concern and I am going to be covering that with an acrylic hood and a vent hose. Plus if that wasn't enough I could place a dehumidifier above the tank. I have thought this out and have been building it well. I sort of expected that people would be interested in it, rather than knocking it down.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
No one is knocking anything. Just stating what is obvious. Placing a monitor and TV and computer towers above a fish tank just seems janky. If you can prevent things from frying great. And if you are able to do proper maintenance around all the electronics and wires...good for you. Enjoy your setup. For me...there's nothing appealing about this setup but that's just me. Good luck with the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nubster; 07-11-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: &^%@!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just happen to spend a lot of time at the desk and found that it would be nice. I also did everything well. Good cuts, screwed into the stud. All level. I really have my doubts about it falling any time soon. Humidity is the real concern here.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yup, humidity will be a big issue. You'll cut the life of your electronics.

Hope you don't have earthquakes where you're from. I'm in the midwest. We get earthquakes once every 10 years or so. Also stuff happens.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You are the one building it so if it seems solid then that's what matters. No one else can really say anything about that unless there's something obvious that sticks out to someone. But yeah, the humidity can and will be an issue if you don't vent it well. But the bad thing is...it might be too late by the time to figure out you didn't vent it well enough. Probably no harm but you might damage some of your electronics.

At the end of the day...all that matters is that you are happy with the idea and setup.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will be getting a cheap humidistat so I can monitor the humility. Also I will be putting up my shields (Acrylic and fans, etc) just over time provided that the humidity hasn't already gotten high.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

I know your not getting the answer you want to hear, but set up the aquarium someplace else. With the splash and water spillage and humidity it's not going to be good for the electronics or the tank.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
humidity+electronics=tears
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
not to mention dangerous.

electricity + water = BBQ
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have been here to see this setup personally, I know Dave. I have to say this would be much better with a lid, or a humidity deflector of some sort because I agree the lifespan of the panels will be decreased for sure. However the setup is sturdy and it works for him, where we live it is extremely stable and if these get knocked into the tank we have larger things to worry about like staying alive ourselves. He is what I would consider still new to the aquarium hobby. Unique with all his projects lol

Last edited by Teebo; 07-12-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: .
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 04:05 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Hey, I respect innovation and I'm certainly curious how this will play out. I'm sure that all of us will learn something as you progress along.
I personally would love to see the details on how you vent the set-up as the fan noise would drive me nuts when I work on the computer. I can also see some benefits having a PC next to the tank: hooking up a humidity sensor and adjusting the fan speed accordingly would be a cool project. Throw in humidity change vs fan speed over time data capture and you can do neat graphs

I got a couple of tanks around my monitor and keyboard - and for the life of me, I end up with water drops on both every time during water changes. Towels or no towels.

Btw, GFCI can save your life, but I'm sure you already know that. Have fun and keep us posted.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 AM
Planted Member

I have an 8 gallon betta tank on my desk right next to the screen. I'm always careful with maintenance but occasional small spills still happen - knowing that I would never put the tank anywhere above or below electronics.

But hey - it's your build, have fun

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It just takes one accident for something to be dropped into the tank, a splash of water to fly, and silicon to fry.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode