birds in fully planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb birds in fully planted tank?

so i recently built a 2' x 6' hood for my 125 fully planted community tank. so now its almost like there are two tanks one on top of the other and i was thinking about somthing small to put in this hood/terrarium i was thinking house geckos but they would prolly drown, so i was then thinking what if i add two zebra finches? would they create to much poop and make my tank nasty or maybe eat my fish? (angels, swordtails, danios, plecos, tetras) would there poop be fertilizer or something worse? would they eat my plants? any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Pics would help.

___My 120 Gallon___ EHEIM PIMP #407, 2x 2229, 2x 1250 Hobby Pumps, 1x Ecco 2236, and 1x Eheim Sludge Extractor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I think the poop would be the problem plus the fact that they are messy as hell. I wouldn't do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
The poop won't be the problem for you. Finch feed will be.
No matter how many times you try to train them, finches never get the hang of using a spoon so seed flies everywhere. Plus, some makes it though the digestive tract intact. You'll end up with a lot of unintended plants.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Poor birds....
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Just like fish in a bird cage, you would kill them pretty quickly that way. During the day, the lights will roast them, at night the humidity would mess up their lungs (yeah they have lungs, not gills).

Really bad idea.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
They way you would've had it, it wouldn't have worked. Though, I know that somone made a planted paludarium with birds, I just can't remember where.
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserpest View Post
really bad idea.
+10

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so there is no land i loaded pictures up but how do i put them on the forum, anyways there is no ground for the seeds to grow in unless they grow under water, also i haven't put a front on it, in fact i am not even done with the inside stuff yet, the pictures will show, i also thought of covering (were there food will be) with plexiglass on the top of the water on one side so the majority of the poop and food would fall on removable plastic instead of in my filter intake, i can still put wire over the front instead of glass for humidity issues. both options are still open.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok i added them as attachments, as you can see i need to add the moss to the backround still, and the only land is in the right hand corner with two plants, as you can see it is still a build in progress. you can't see into my tank very well, nor do i have my main light fixture cuz i am still working on the mounting, so i have my temporary back up lights on for now. and forgive the mess. i put the bottle in there so everyone would have a good idea how much room i am dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 034.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	19821  

Name:	Picture 035.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	19822  

Name:	Picture 038.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	19823  

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Here is they guy who has finches in his set up. This set up was a big inspiration for my tank. I hope to imitate it more closely in the future.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...d.php?t=178509

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
It is just a bad idea. It is going to be too hot and too cruel for the birds. No matter what, it will be too humid.

Please don't do this.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I read through that article awhile back and was really amazed at the work he had put into his tank. Unless you have a big open space for the finchs to move around freely they'll probably just die. You should give that article a read if you haven't already.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i keep finches/canarys in an avairy and in a cage and belive me the amount of poo they do will absolutly destroy your tank and agrreing with others the seed shells will also spray all into the tank.
Another thing that loads of other people have said is the care for the birds, obviously finches being a bird that will live in fairly cold to warm conditions are not suited to live in the moist/humid area you are planning and the added fact of the heat from the bulbs
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

his brid looks pretty happy and healthy. whats the difference between putting a birdcage in my fish room and biulding one atop my tank? the humidity lvls would be around 40-70 percent, thats the same as almost any nice summer day, whats the difference? he would have a little over 12 square feet of flying living area. thats bigger then the birdcages with 15 or so at the pet stores. and even if the bird is messy, when my parents use to raise cockateils they weren't even messy until you got multiple birds. i only want two finches, or what about canarys, thanks for all the help everybody.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode