"New" 125 gallon tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
"New" 125 gallon tank!

I went up near Memphis yesterday and picked up a whole 125 gallon setup. It was a 500 mile round trip, but it was a very good deal and I always wanted a big tank, so it was worth it. I have a good bit of work to do on it to get the tank and stand looking like I want it before I can start setting it up, like dressing up the stand and repainting the tank frame, plus getting the paint off the back of the tank. I know to use the Krylon Fusion for the frame, but does anyone have any tips on getting enamel paint off the back of an aquarium, besides or in addition to using a razorblade?

Olskule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Paint in general does not stick well to glass. A razorblade should very effectively remove the paint with little effort. To get the last little remnants, I would use WD40 and a fine steel wool pad. Then a good wash with Dawn to remove the WD40 residue and you are ready to repaint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchevy View Post
Paint in general does not stick well to glass. A razorblade should very effectively remove the paint with little effort. To get the last little remnants, I would use WD40 and a fine steel wool pad. Then a good wash with Dawn to remove the WD40 residue and you are ready to repaint.
Thanks for the WD-40 tip, Sadchevy, That's something I do have and won't have to buy. I hope the paint comes off as easily as you seem to think it will, but I won't be repainting the back, since it's going in as a room divider and will be seen from both sides. I plan on using sand paper to get the frame back down to the plastic, since I know it has at least one coat of paint, and I don't know what kind it is. It also has scratches on the frame that need to be smoothed out before painting.

I may fill, sand and paint the stand, or I might just re-skin it with a nice veneer and stain it, since it was made from a very rough grade of plywood. Either way, I'll be adding trim and dressing it up. It will probably be next month before I have the funds to start setting it up, anyway; I just hope I don't have to spend too much on getting it looking nice THIS month.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode