What do you do when you hate your tank? (Advice etc.) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What do you do when you hate your tank? (Advice etc.)

I've had a 10gal setup for about 3 years now. Back then I was a total newbie to planted tanks, I didn't really know what I was doing. Since then I've learned a lot - though I still consider myself just a beginner! - and have tried to fix my mistakes. But I'm fed up with my tank. Plants are doing poorly, not enough substrate, algae everywhere... I know I can do better.

Frankly I'd like to do a complete tear-down and start fresh, but I don't know how feasible that is - even if I save my filter media, will it cycle again and possibly hurt my fish? (I'd have to house them elsewhere until I finished, of course!)

Has anyone else had this experience? What did you do?
sewlady6 and sewlady6 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 02:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Should be no problem.

I put my fish in same water bucket, rip up the tank, clean everything but the filter, and filler 'er up.
You shouldn't have a problem if your filter is nice and dirty. If you clean the filter, then you'll need to cycle with the fish in. Meaning daily, or at least every two days about a 10-20% change. Depending on how large a tank, and how many and how sensitive your fish, you could get away with just a 50% change 1x/wk. But either way monitor water ammonia.

P.S. If your ammonia is anything other than zero, change 50% daily until it's steady zero.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Pretty simple. You can get a a rubbermade or sterlite bin at wallymart or even another 10g at Petsmart for $12. Get and clean your new substrate. Siphon about half the water out into the temporary tank, then fill the rest with fresh treated water (same temp) - a 50% water change. Now move the fish, good plants, heater AND the filter and start them running. That's right, keep the filter running in the temp tank. Now clean out your tank of old substrate and plants to discard, install new substrate and half fill with treated water, add your good plants. Fill with water, install filter and heater - ensure proper temperature, then move the fish into their new - old home.
Easy Peasy.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wipe the inside glass well and get the now free floating bacteria by saving some of the water for the new tank, leave the filter in a little longer to capture some too.

Waiting for a cycle is not a must, I often have no option other than putting new tanks out. But at least I know daily/bi-daily water changes for a month, and there are no more problems. It is just a lot of work, and higher power bill.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Pretty simple. You can get a a rubbermade or sterlite bin at wallymart or even another 10g at Petsmart for $12. Get and clean your new substrate. Siphon about half the water out into the temporary tank, then fill the rest with fresh treated water (same temp) - a 50% water change. Now move the fish, good plants, heater AND the filter and start them running. That's right, keep the filter running in the temp tank. Now clean out your tank of old substrate and plants to discard, install new substrate and half fill with treated water, add your good plants. Fill with water, install filter and heater - ensure proper temperature, then move the fish into their new - old home.
Easy Peasy.
It honestly never occured to me to just keep the filter running in another tank/container. Huh! Sometimes simple stuff eludes us...

I'd like to salvage my plants if I can - my amazon sword should bounce back (had to trim a bunch of dying algae-encrusted leaves last night), some dwarf sags look okay. What I'd REALLY like to keep is my crypt parva, I've had it since I started the tank and it's grown into a nice big thicket. If I'm moving it into the same water conditions, will it still melt badly? Or does the act of moving it cause it to melt anyway?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Keeping the filter running in the temporary 'tank' preserves the beneficial bacteria, aerates the water AND better ensures that any ammonia the fish produce is handled.

This is not much different than moving plants in the same tank so I wouldn't expect much if any shock or 'melting'.

Tank On, Mike-

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tear it down I say!

I just redid my 60-P after looking at it, hating it, and neglecting it out of hate for 3 and a half years.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:07 PM

Post before and after pictures!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Figure out what you don't like, then make the tank work for you while keeping in mind that you need to be flexible.I'm currently doing this with all three of my tanks

I finally found a scape that I liked for the 29 that works for me and the fish, so that is almost done. The bonus is the fish in that tank are less stressed since the changes have been made which is always a good thing.

The 10 gallon was a collection of plants. It was plants I wanted to see if they'd grow, ones I wanted to keep and others I didn't want to get rid of simply because I bought them. I can't stand clutter around the house and yet somehow the fish tanks have for whatever reason have turned into the exception. I have been working on this and now I'm down to less than a handful of regular java ferns and have gotten rid of all the other misc plants that didn't serve a purpose.

The 5.5 gallon is also a work in progress, but I finally decided what I wanted to do with that tank. I should have the final plants I need for that tank this week, then it's just a matter of waiting for them to grow in.

Sometimes things don't work out as intended.

Today I ordered more Salvinia Minima for all 3 tanks because trying to keep Frog Bit is making me want to rip my hair out. The fish chew the roots and leaves so I end up spending all my time picking off dead leaves. It's tedious and a pain in the butt. I'm going to give Dwarf Water Lettuce a try and if they make a mess of that, they'll have to live with Salvinia Minima which all of them leave alone for the most part.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygropunk View Post
I've had a 10gal setup for about 3 years now. Have tried to fix my mistakes. But I'm fed up with my tank. Plants are doing poorly, not enough substrate, algae

I had problems with BBA when I started in 2007. Don't remember everything I did. I tore down the tank. Cleaned the tank and filter bucket with vinegar. Rinsed the filter medium in a bucket with treated tap water. Put the old substrate back in and topped with river sand. Then filled the tank with old tank water and tap water. Then put fish, type?, in. The BBA came back. Dosing with KNO3 got it under control.

What type of algae are you having a problem with? Could you post a pic of the tank?

Bump:
Quote:
You can get a a rubbermade or sterlite bin at wallymart for $12.
Can get a bin at thrift store for $3.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

No, I wrote that a rubbermade or sterlite bin could be purchased at wallymart OR a new 10g aquarium could be purchased at Petsmart for about $12.

Tank On, Mike-

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
No, I wrote that a rubbermade or sterlite bin could be purchased at wallymart OR a new 10g aquarium could be purchased at Petsmart for about $12.
I thought you were suggesting the bin for a temp hold for the fish.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I've had a 10gal setup for about 3 years now. Back then I was a total newbie to planted tanks, I didn't really know what I was doing. Since then I've learned a lot - though I still consider myself just a beginner! - and have tried to fix my mistakes. But I'm fed up with my tank. Plants are doing poorly, not enough substrate, algae everywhere... I know I can do better.

Frankly I'd like to do a complete tear-down and start fresh, but I don't know how feasible that is - even if I save my filter media, will it cycle again and possibly hurt my fish? (I'd have to house them elsewhere until I finished, of course!)

Well.... I had 2x 20 gallon planted tanks that i sold to make room for a 40 gallon. Maybe get a bigger aquarium?

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I am in a similar situation but with a 29 gallon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
1.) Petco sale - 10 Gallon = $10.

2.) What substrate do you want, obviously you feel there isn't enough so why not buy new?

With those 2 things and some sort of cheap water movement (sponge filter maybe?) you can setup a new tank and get it how you want it (dipping plants for algae/snails, etc... as you go moving them) and get what you want.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode