Any Money In Fancy Guppies? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any Money In Fancy Guppies?

I like guppies, and was considering breeding them small scale for some money in the summer. I'm talking just a couple 10 gallons with some java moss and some guppies. My question is: is there any money to be made breeding "generic fancy guppies", or should I look into breeding specific strains? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
generic fancy? no. People can go to petsmart and buy a dozen for $20. Who are you planning to selling to?

You might want to spend a bit of money to buy a quality strain. You might consider buying a big tub and grow them outside. Watch out for raccoons and cats. Color and size are optimal with space and live food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm planning on selling to lfs and on forums

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you want to work small scale rather do discus, and you might break even with cost of feeding fry and heating tanks.

Another fish I think is going to become a big hit are the very long finned bristle nose plecos. It is a dominant gene so you only need to get one.

Small tanks are inefficient as you have very slow growth, and lack the nutrition they get from bugs outside. Rather think small ponds or inflatable pools with some insulation underneath. If you want to do fancies, you need 3 tanks per strain, minimum, 4 or 5 would be better as it allows you to keep fry of similar size together and sexes apart.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would say it is not really a money making item. When they are so easy to find, it is not worth the shipping so the market is limited to your local area in many cases.
If you want to breed and raise the fish, it can be a way to offset some of the expense but at the risk of losing a tremendous amount of time and effort. I bred and raised African cichlids for a time but it was more for the fun of it and never really produced enough money to cut into the cost enough to make it worthwhile for the amount of time, trouble and expense involved.
You are also likely to end up with a very poor view of the buyers you meet! Many are great people but it doesn't take many of the whining chiselers to ruin the whole idea. Looking at some of the advise on the forum when somebody asks what to pay for a tank, may give you some insight into the chiselers you may find?

One reason guppies are not money makers?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/59...guppy-fry.html

Last edited by PlantedRich; 07-09-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added info
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
lfs aren't going to pay you for your fish. They might give you a little credit. They can get their fish cheaper through their supplier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My guppy breeding took at least 12 ten gallon tanks if you want to keep the best to sell. And my efforts were only for my own enjoyment. If you allow harem breeding then you wind up with inferior stock. Line breeding requires separating males and females as soon as you can tell them apart then culling and selective breeding back through the lineage. It's a lot of work for small scale breeders if you want to offer something LFS can't get from places like Segrest or 5 D. Even here in FL good guppies are hard to come by. Now over in Asia they are a big deal. And that's where much of the high quality stuff goes because they get a decent price for them.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode