how should i fill my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
how should i fill my tank?

SO, i just filled in my 46g bowfront tank yesterday. I have white colorquartz sand on the left side and a mix of eco complete/flourite/black colorquartz on the right side. I plan to put diy co2 + flourish excel in it and I have a 96W 6700k/10000k bulb for plant lights.

how do you guys think i should fill in the tank plant wise? foreground plants? i wanted to put some kind of plant on the tree branch to make it look like a real tree...maybe java moss?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Just an FYI, DIY C02 is going to be pretty much worthless on a 46 gallon tank...

Plant selection is really up to you... it's your tank after all.

IME, some Moss on the tree, NL Java fern behind the stump & Anubias in the front
would look good. By using these plants you could raise your light fixture up a bit and
alleviate the need for C02

HTH

Larry K
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what if i put two bottles of diy co2 in it? would that help the tank have more co2 for the plants?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
5 pounds of sugar in a 5 gallon jug with who knows how much yeast gave me 2 weeks of more than enough CO2 in my 55 connected to my powerhead. Buy a bung at a beer store and a brass fitting for the bung size to the 1/8" tubing. My drop checker was in the yellow the whole time...

If you want a carpet foreground, then I would recommend not using java moss on the tree, since it will infest your carpet and weld itself to the gravel, making removal difficult without tearing up the carpet.

As far as the tree... Aside from moss, I bet if you wanted to get fancy, you could plant a stem plant at the base and tie it off, and cut the top off so it will branch and tie it off to the tree as it grows in..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
diy co2 wont be worthless,iam using diy co2 right now with my 46gal bow and a 60gal and you see the results of the co2 in like three days with faster growth and thats only with 2 2 liter bottles of diy co2
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love planted tanks View Post
diy co2 wont be worthless,iam using diy co2 right now with my 46gal bow and a 60gal and you see the results of the co2 in like three days with faster growth and thats only with 2 2 liter bottles of diy co2
How long have you been using the DIY method in these two tanks... months... years?

How often do you renew your DIY mixture?

What is your C02 level in ppm?

What color is your drop checker?

I'd be interested in hearing how you maintain consistent C02 levels with your two liter bottles...

I'm not saying that it cannot be done... but unless you have some hard evidence
you can colour me very skeptical...

Remember, maintaining a planted tank is all about consistency.. if your C02 levels are all over the place your never going to achieve balance in the tank!
(without balance you'll spend all your time chasing problems, algae & others)

As far as the OP's original question...like I said, it's *your* tank to do with as you please... Pleas post some pics, whatever you decide to do...

Larry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode