Question about quarantining new fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about quarantining new fish

I've recently set up a 55 gallon and am in the process of acclimating my fish from my old 20 gallon into the new tank.

My question is concerning quarantining new fish from the LFS. Usually the two LFS around me have decently healthy fish so I've never quarantined my new fish. Unfortunately, I introduced ich into my tank two months ago doing this and wiped out have my livestock. 😩

I want to know if you can quarantine fish from two separate tanks in one tank? Like, if I got some platies from one tank at the LFS and a group of cories from a different tank, could I quarantine them in the same tank at my house? Or would that be an ill advised idea? And how would a school of tetras fair in a 10-15 gallon quarantine? What's the recommended amount of time for quarantining? What kind of setup do you prefer? Would I be okay with just a filter, heater, a shallow layer of pool filter sand as substrate, and a plant or two?

-Empress Akitla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two groups in one tank will share anything they individually have. Beyond that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCo...BsRXmErhPpJrie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It doing different fish together has it's benefits and issues. You only need 1 tank, less equipment, less medication needed if something goes wrong etc. However my opinion is the risks outweigh the benefits. You'd need the water parameters to match from each store, you run the risk of cross contamination (i.e. one set of fish is healthy, the other sick, now you have both sets sick), some fish don't do well with others due to smaller tank sizes used for qt, shrimp, otos and other sensitive fish can make medication tricky if they are combined.

My vote is patience. Add one school of fish at a time, that way everyone settles in, the bio filters can adjust to the new bioload etc.

As to the other questions, if you already have the 20 setup use that as your qt tank, no need to go out and get something new. A appropriate size school of fish (tetras or otherwise) should be fine in whatever size tank you choose as qt, if you can over stock a bit since it is a temporary home, but that can add stress, but that is up to you. As far as equipment, heater,filter (i have extra media on my main tank that is cheap and disposable that i move over), light for viewing, plants if you want (though be prepared that the medication will kill them) and if you add them, i reccomend putting them in pots so you can move them around. I personally skip the plants and toss in a couple ornaments/rocks as structure with some sand for substrate, it makes cleaning easier for sure that way. As to length of time to qt I usually do 2 weeks from the last sign of an issue i.e. if you treat for ich, wait until the ich is cured, then 2 MORE weeks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode