2Likes
  • 2 Post By dukydaf
  • 2 Post By Nordic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should I prune emersed growth?

So in my 72g aquarium, I have 5 Amazon swords all were grown emersed. I have had them for about 3 1/2 weeks. Now that I have transferred them to immersed, I have had about 12 - 15 new leaves grow that are significantly different in shape, more pointed, narrower, and longer. I understand these leaves are because I switched from emersed to immersed.

My question is, should I prune off the emersed leaves? The emersed leaves seem to be growing along with the immersed.

Here is a picture.

https://postimg.org/image/8lp52b9z5/

Bump: [img=https://s32.postimg.org/4pbt6bozp/image.jpg]how to screen capture

Bump: Here is a picture of the tank shortly after setup a few weeks ago.

click image upload
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would leave them attached until they show signs of degradation. Some plants adapt better than others but old leaves are still a nutrient resource that plants can use for adaptation.
GraphicGr8s and GraphicGr8s like this.

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

I noticed the same thing with my (pre-packaged) amazon swords that were apparently grown out of water. In my case, once planted new leaves began to grow, more narrow like yours, while the older outer leaves slowly turned brown, I eventually trimmed these off. In your case, as long as they remain green and healthy, I would leave them be.

For my (again pre-packaged) water wisteria, the leaves were very broadleaf...but the new growth was feathery. Another sign of a plant grown immersed rather than submerged. As the plants grew larger, I cut off the broadleaf base (discarded) and replanted the feathery stems (which now have rooted and are growing very well.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank w/40g sump.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've read that some trim off all the old leaves before placing the plant in the aquarium,and it causes the new ones ot grow in faster.Closest I did was to trim most of the leaves from one,and it did grow new leaves quickly.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the replies. I am noticing that the emersed growth is more prone to algae when switched to immersed.

I'll keep the ones that are healthy attached. Eventually I think I'll clip them off. Maybe trim 1 emersed leaf for every 2 immersed leaves that grow.

I like what you said dukydaf about the plant using the old leaves to learn how to adapt. It makes sense to me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

While they are still attached, the plant can redistribute some of the nutrients held in the old leaves, so, don't get too hasty.
AWolf and AWolf like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode