need help starting my first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
need help starting my first planted tank

So ive always wanted to start a planted tank and i recently bought a 50 gallon bow front the light that came with the tank was partially broken so i went on craigslist and found a coralife light fixture with a 96 watt light for $50 so i went and got it and feel like its the perfect time to start a planted tank.

all i know is i will be getting some eco-complete and was going to use the DIY yeast Co2 thing.

any help would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
What kind of light fixture do you have (exactly)? You may have more light than you anticipate, causing you to have algae problems right off the bat.

In addition, DIY CO2 will not really work for a tank your size, unless you are using multiple bottles, that are staggered, etc. In short, it will be a lot of hassle to maintain the DIY CO2, and I would strongly recommend you go with pressurized CO2.

What kind of plants do you want to grow? What kind of maintenance do you want to do on a weekly basis? And of course, finally, how much money can you/do you want to spend?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
What kind of light fixture do you have (exactly)? You may have more light than you anticipate, causing you to have algae problems right off the bat.

In addition, DIY CO2 will not really work for a tank your size, unless you are using multiple bottles, that are staggered, etc. In short, it will be a lot of hassle to maintain the DIY CO2, and I would strongly recommend you go with pressurized CO2.

What kind of plants do you want to grow? What kind of maintenance do you want to do on a weekly basis? And of course, finally, how much money can you/do you want to spend?
well all i know is that its a 20" coralife with one of these bulbs http://www.amazon.com/Power-Compact-.../dp/B0002AQ3N6

i dont have the money to have a pressurized Co2 system, i have weekends free so any maintinece needed i can do then, but im a student and sice summer is coming up i will have more time for the tank. i want to grow large plant that grow fast in a pefect world but mainly want to have plants that go with an amazon river look. i have money to spend but not a crapload

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

Just some basics..

Light is pretty important - for an adequate amount of light you want approximately 3 watts per gallon, so ideally for a 50g you would look for a 150watt output from your lighting system (light is 96 watts per link you posted), but for low light plants the wattage may be ok.

But if indeed its the same type of bulb that you've put a link to you reallyneed to change it out to a non-antic light (antic or the bluish light is used in salt water) like a light temperature of 10,000k or lower..

You can use flourish excel (liquid carbon) along with plant ferts...and a good dosing schedule.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer View Post
But if indeed its the same type of bulb that you've put a link to you reallyneed to change it out to a non-antic light (antic or the bluish light is used in salt water) like a light temperature of 10,000k or lower..
what would happen if i left that bulb in freshwater
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Algae Grower

Some people say that it harms your plants...I dont know about that, but your plants will not grow as well...it all has to do with the wavelength of light that plants use to grow..

But to get your plants growing on the cheap... DIY carbon, get some excel and ferts and change the bulb that should do it..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode