2Likes
  • 2 Post By Olskule
  • 2 Post By Nordic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angelfish Eggs! Help!

Hi forum. So I posted yesterday that I wanted to give my angels to a new home due to space requirement's (they are in a 29 gallon tank). Most people said they will be okay being the only fish in the tank, others insisted on a an upgrade. I thought I was going to give away these fish today until I woke up to beautiful rows of eggs and mommy and daddy fiercely guarding them. I'm very excited about the fry to come! So help me out guys! How do I help these fry have the best chance at life! I have a lot of extra tanks (20 long, 10 gallon, 2.5 gallon, some large tubs), sponge filters, etc. I was going to get rid of these fish but since I know they are a pair (black veil layed, gold/silver striped fertilized) so I decided I'm keeping them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160705_155629.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	649841  

Name:	20160705_161711.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	649849  

Name:	20160705_161714.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	649857  

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France

Last edited by Nazasaki; 07-05-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Spelling...whoops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Cichlids are good parents but you should remove them after a few days so you can feed them small things like baby brine shrimps or microworms. After a month or so, you should give them away or sell them since you don't have the space. I dunno, they will breed very often. You're going to be knee deep in angels.

This might sound heartless but you can feed the fry to other fish too, as a way to cull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Congratulations!

heh,told ya I used to breed them in a 29...if you really want to save them all,they should be removed to a 1 gallon jar with an airstone a methylene blue,though there are other things you can use now.Keep the airstone under the eggs to keep water moving through them.

The parents will attack your hand when you go to remove the eggs.

you've got about a week to start hatching brine shrimp to feed the new guys.

If you don't mind losing a few,or possibly all,you can leave them there and let the parents raise them.But it would be wise to remove any other fish,and keep the area around the tank quiet so as not to frighten the parents into eating the fry.be warned,they will lay again in about a week to 10 days.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
Congratulations!

heh,told ya I used to breed them in a 29...if you really want to save them all,they should be removed to a 1 gallon jar with an airstone a methylene blue,though there are other things you can use now.Keep the airstone under the eggs to keep water moving through them.

The parents will attack your hand when you go to remove the eggs.

you've got about a week to start hatching brine shrimp to feed the new guys.

If you don't mind losing a few,or possibly all,you can leave them there and let the parents raise them.But it would be wise to remove any other fish,and keep the area around the tank quiet so as not to frighten the parents into eating the fry.be warned,they will lay again in about a week to 10 days.
Yes they attacked my hand! I set up a ten gallon tank and I just transferred the eggs which were attached to the heater over. Dad was NOT happy about that. I don't have methalyne blue but I have an airstone cascading bubbles gently over the eggs. So far only one egg has turned all white. I will have to pay a visit to my local salt water aquarium store to see of they have the baby brine shrimp. I called every pets tore within an hour from my house and they don't have any. I'm hoping to give them away to some of my family and friends who have larger setups. Then I plan to sell the rest.

Also can I discourage them from laying? Or will this be something I deal with for the rest of their lives?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160705_205059.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	649985  

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First of all, congratulations Nazasaki! I know you're excited!

You probably don't need to be told this, but just in case you haven't thought of it, DON'T plug the heater in or you could literally cook the eggs. Also, put a piece of hardscape in the 29 for the angels to spawn on next time - something easy to take out with the new eggs on it, like a piece of slate set upright/slightly diagonally. And good luck with the fry!

Olskule
Nazasaki and Nazasaki like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskule View Post
First of all, congratulations Nazasaki! I know you're excited!

You probably don't need to be told this, but just in case you haven't thought of it, DON'T plug the heater in or you could literally cook the eggs. Also, put a piece of hardscape in the 29 for the angels to spawn on next time - something easy to take out with the new eggs on it, like a piece of slate set upright/slightly diagonally. And good luck with the fry!

Olskule
Thanks Olskule. Yes as soon as I saw the eggs I unplugged the heater. Since its been high 80s here in PA and my house didn't have the a/c on the heater rarely ever switches on. I transfered the heater over to the 10 gallon. Although Dad seems to really miss the eggs. He has been frantically searching the area where the heater was looking for them. I already found a nice piece of slate just for the ease of moving the eggs next time they spawn. Which with my luck they will pick the heater again...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

Congrats and your Angels look nice! It sucks they chose the heater lol. Hope you will be successful in raising the young.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymyess View Post
Congrats and your Angels look nice! It sucks they chose the heater lol. Hope you will be successful in raising the young.
Thank you. Is it normal for one parent to be doing all the work? The male angel seems to be doing all the fanning and guarding while the mom just kind of relaxes around the tank. He isn't chasing her away, just she seems to show lack of interest. She will check on the eggs but doesn't engage with them like he does. I plan on moving the babies out when they become free swimmers in a few days. Trying to move the eggs out stressed out the dad. Plus, they are fist time parents and I want to see how they do.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazasaki View Post
Thank you. Is it normal for one parent to be doing all the work? The male angel seems to be doing all the fanning and guarding while the mom just kind of relaxes around the tank. He isn't chasing her away, just she seems to show lack of interest. She will check on the eggs but doesn't engage with them like he does. I plan on moving the babies out when they become free swimmers in a few days. Trying to move the eggs out stressed out the dad. Plus, they are fist time parents and I want to see how they do.
I am not sure but I think it's fine. Maybe the female is taking the guard/watch role. Just my 2c try letting the Angels rear the young next time - see if they're successful.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
BTW,the higher temps may have been what triggered the spawning.Lots of times that's what a breeder might do.

The methylene blue is to treat fungus and discourage it from taking over and destroying the whole batch of eggs.If left with the parents,they will pick off the ones that become fungused.Don't be discouraged if this batch doesn't hatch or live,there will be another soon.Maybe try leaving the second batch with the parents.

what you want are brine shrimp eggs.You have time to get a brine shrimp setup or eggs from amazon if you have prime.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great tips guys! Thanks! I'm going out tomorrow morning to get all the food I need for the babies and some sponges to put over the filter intakes. I never realized how dedicated a fish would be caring for his babies. This dad doesn't leave the eggs. Not even for his favorite thawed blood worm treat. I think that may have triggered spawning too. I tend to like to feed frozen/thawed over the flakes.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would leave the eggs with the parents next time, especially as you are not rearing them for numbers.
First 3 times the parents may eat the fry or eggs if you bother them too much. But, they should be good after that.
By removing the fry at about 2 weeks old, you will prevent them starting to feed on the parents' slime coats, and you will have the parents do all the dirty work for you.

Alternatively look up how to make a gallon jar to keep the eggs and newborn fry in for next time....
You take a jar, cut a piece of foam large enough to fit tightly in the bottom of the jar, so that nothing can get stuck between it and the side of the jar, lift it about 1/2" from the bottom, Do the same for the neck of the jar. Make a small hole in the center of each foam sponge.
Insert a half inch PVC pipe through the holes in the sponge, but pull it back a little so thee is a gap between the bottom of the jar and the tube. Slide a piece of airline down the tube, but not all the way to the bottom opening.

Now when your air pump is running, bubbles will come up the PVC tube, pulling fresh water into the jar, circulating out be the tube's opening. Turn off airpump when feeding to keep BBS from being sucked into the bottom sponge.

Cut another slit in the top foam, you can stick a turkey baster through it to deliver small fry or eggs into the cavity. This is good for about 250 baby angelfish. The jar stays in the parental tank, so it is not subject to large parameter swings like in a tiny tank, plus you need no extra heaters.

I hope you have brine shrimp eggs. You might as well do a trial hatching just to get any wrinkles in your process ironed out. DO NOT FEED THEM UNTIL THEY ARE ALL FREE SWIMMING. One day they will still look pathetic, and just wriggle and bounce around, the next morning they are all swimming (their might be a few wrigglers or defective fry), but it should be such a small portion of them, that it doesn't matter. Feed small amounts and make sure all food gets consumed. You can add more small portions if they finish the first one.

Unless you keep them in a gallon jar in the main tank, do large water changes daily, trying to match temperature. When you do the water change, set out water for the next day's change, so that it can age a bit and gas off. A spare heater and air stone will be needed for this. They grow pretty rapidly and it is great fun. Its just pricey feeding them. Brine shrimp eggs are crazy expensive.
patfat and patfat like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Last edited by Nordic; 07-06-2016 at 07:29 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode