Check my Setup. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Check my Setup.

Just wanted someone with more experience to tell me im doing ok and if i need to dose ferts?

I'm running two Aquaray Natural sunlight LED bars over my 18 gallon freshwater tank for 8 hours a day and dosing AE-Aquacarbon, substrate is Eco-complete with a toplayer of Seachem flourite black sand (2-4 inches deep id say). I'm currently running two filters but i can't see the point in having them both running so im going to cut back to my Azoo Skimmer/filter and remove my in tank one.

I have these plants in the tank from what i can remember:

Micranthemum Umberosum (dwarf baby tears)
Anubias Barterii
Marsilea Quadrifolia (four leave clover)
Eleocharis Vivipara (Tall hairgrass)
Echinodorus Latifolious (tall chain sword)
hmm and I cant seem to remember the rest...i'll take a photo so if someone could ID them before me I'd appreciate it :S

I have kept the fishload in the tank small, 3 Corys, 1 Rainbow fish, 2 Danio's, 2 ADF's and 2 Apple Snails. I also have shrimp last i counted 5 but some of them are pregnant!

So all i wanted to know was if i should be using ferts and maybe supplimenting the light with any specific kelvin leds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

I do not have much experience in planted tanks but it looks very good :-)!!
The foreground plants should grow out further in the next couple of weeks... for my nano I will be using AE Carbon like you along with AE Aqua nourish and aqua nourish + as they seem good quality fertlisers and the Iwugami collection from aqua essentials. I would reccomend these fertilisers along with some form of CO2 as some of your plants seem to be relativley demanding (although you'll have to ask someone more experienced :-Z).
Good luck with your tank :-),
hathj29
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Johno2090;1041770]Just wanted someone with more experience to tell me im doing ok and if i need to dose ferts?

I'm running two Aquaray Natural sunlight LED bars over my 18 gallon freshwater tank for 8 hours a day and dosing AE-Aquacarbon, substrate is Eco-complete with a toplayer of Seachem flourite black sand (2-4 inches deep id say). I'm currently running two filters but i can't see the point in having them both running so im going to cut back to my Azoo Skimmer/filter and remove my in tank one.

I have these plants in the tank from what i can remember:

Micranthemum Umberosum (dwarf baby tears)
Anubias Barterii
Marsilea Quadrifolia (four leave clover)
Eleocharis Vivipara (Tall hairgrass)
Echinodorus Latifolious (tall chain sword)
hmm and I cant seem to remember the rest...i'll take a photo so if someone could ID them before me I'd appreciate it :S

I have kept the fishload in the tank small, 3 Corys, 1 Rainbow fish, 2 Danio's, 2 ADF's and 2 Apple Snails. I also have shrimp last i counted 5 but some of them are pregnant!

So all i wanted to know was if i should be using ferts and maybe supplimenting the light with any specific kelvin leds?

hi there nice tank!

from advice i normally read on the forum i would imagen the issue will be the baby tears and the hairgrass possibly the swords too although i have had lovely growth from swords with no ferts or co2

eco complete will be giving some good nutrients but you may want to think about dry dosing the tank as this really is the best way to give the plants exactly what they need

with regards to the 2 filter i would keep them both running. you basically cant have too much turnover in a planted tank
its advised to aim for a x10 turnover per hour my tank is x18 and its not a raging torrent at all

i think the idea is to keep detrius from the surface of the leaves and to keep the crap circulating to your filter intake and not dwelling in your nice expensive substrate

i dont have any experience with leds so maybe someone else will shed some light on this (if you pardon the pun)

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

the plant on the bogwood i believe is windelov (type of java fern)

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, I was hoping the carbon from the liquid was enough as i had alot of trouble with DIY systems and hair algae in the past, the plant on the front of the bogwood to the left hand side i belive is my anubis

The plants to the far right of the picture at the front look almoast like cress and are very small anyone know what this is as it was sent in a mixed bunch of foreground plants.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno2090 View Post
Thanks guys, I was hoping the carbon from the liquid was enough as i had alot of trouble with DIY systems and hair algae in the past, the plant on the front of the bogwood to the left hand side i belive is my anubis

The plants to the far right of the picture at the front look almoast like cress and are very small anyone know what this is as it was sent in a mixed bunch of foreground plants.
far right front would be glosso or possibly hc either way they require good light and really, could do with ferts

yes the left bogwood are anubias they require no additional ferts or co2 although they will grow better with them

have you done any research on the ei (estimative index) dosing method?
its as cheap as chips to do you just buy the dry powders, potassiums and trace elements and just add them to your water column in set amounts to fullfill the plants nutrient requirements this can be done either by mixing set amounts of the dry powders with some water or by putting the powders directly into your tank

it works out so cheap its like 10% of the cost of commercial fertilisers and its a piece of cake to do
i spend 5 minutes every week making the solutions and then just pour them into the tank each day

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm no to be honest the first i have heard about dry ferts is when you mentioned it, im just looking on ebay at diffusers ...may try my hand at DIY Co2 again and see what i can get going...i just hate the algae it gave me last time....

do ya have a link to find out about dry dosing?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Algae Grower

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1275

this is really the simple method of dry dosing but its basically the same as i use and although it at first seems a little indepth its very straight forward and it will make a huge differnece to your plants and your pocket

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

you can get all your dry powdres from aqua essentials web site they are expensive to buy at first but these powders will last you ages

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
you can get all your dry powdres from aqua essentials web site they are expensive to buy at first but these powders will last you ages

If you happen to be anywhere near a hydroponics shop they will always have the individual powders you'd want for far cheaper then that website. Plus, no waiting on the shipping.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers theres a hydrophonic shop round the corner ill pop in and have a gander sometime next week. Just ordered a chinese version of the Hagen ladder off ebay which should be coming so i can start DIY co2 again sometime next week.

Anyone know if i have enough lighting? I'm going to guess its got about 15 gallons of water in after i take into account the substrate and driftwood.

The LED's are said to give off 24 watts each bar so * 2... should be about 3.2 WPG?
Do i have that right?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

seen some decent Canister filters that i could prob afford to get...however...does anyone know if my frogs will hate me for the fast water flow?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well ive just bought myself a Canister filter with a turnover of 980 LPH, so i should be just over 10x turnover, will mean i can finaly take out the undergravel filter in the front room tank!

Looks like the Pygmy chain swords (ones behind the log) have been grown emersed..so they are all melting away unless they dont like the Aqua carbon...will have to see how they do.

I have also started a DIY co2 bottle again...just waiting for the hagen ladder to come or may even feed it into the canister filter....as long as its not goint to break it...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno2090 View Post
Well ive just bought myself a Canister filter with a turnover of 980 LPH, so i should be just over 10x turnover, will mean i can finaly take out the undergravel filter in the front room tank!

Looks like the Pygmy chain swords (ones behind the log) have been grown emersed..so they are all melting away unless they dont like the Aqua carbon...will have to see how they do.

I have also started a DIY co2 bottle again...just waiting for the hagen ladder to come or may even feed it into the canister filter....as long as its not goint to break it...
i dont know if anyone else can answer this more accurately but you may be able to crop the chain sword back to 1" and it will regenerate in its submersed state
im a little suprised it was grown emersed ive never heard of emersed swords?

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm ill cut the leaves off that are going brown...ive never seen anything go like this either so i was just assuming they were emersed as they are browning and dying very fast especialy for being in my tank for under a week :S

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode