Overflow Box Bulkhead Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Overflow Box Bulkhead Help

Hello All,

The tank I picked up from a guy on craigslist hacksawed off his piping which left the bulkheads with little to no room to twist off. I was able to get the other bulkhead out but am unable to remove the other one. I have attached photos below for any help or guidance on how to remove them. I am scared to apply too much pressure to remove it since I did it once a little piece of glass flaked off, thank God its 180 gallons with thick glass!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160704_174213.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	649481  

Name:	20160704_174219.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	649489  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

maybe gluing a pvc pipe into the other end and wiggling the bulk head out might work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I removed the bulkhead by jamming a plier in the opening and twisting - had a ton of silicone around the threading. Anyway, now the fun part begins in replacing the bulkhead. Do I measure across the top of the bulkhead or the actual glass opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
maybe gluing a pvc pipe into the other end and wiggling the bulk head out might work

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You need to be a bit careful here. Bulkheads have two dimensions you need to worry about. The size of the pipe they connect to and the size of the hole you need to install the bulkhead fits.

Not all bulkheads are the same.
Here is an example of lightweight bulkheads (offsite) - https://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2&ptid=6
Here is an example of Sch 80 bulkheads (offsite) - https://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2&ptid=5

Note that for a given pipe size the hole you need for a Sch 80 bulkhead is larger than the hole you need for a lightweight bulkhead. However the Sch 80 bulkheads are a lot stronger.

Most manufactured aquarium products tend to use lightweight bulkheads. They are a lot less expensive.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You need to be a bit careful here. Bulkheads have two dimensions you need to worry about. The size of the pipe they connect to and the size of the hole you need to install the bulkhead fits.

Not all bulkheads are the same.
Here is an example of lightweight bulkheads (offsite) - https://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2&ptid=6
Here is an example of Sch 80 bulkheads (offsite) - https://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2&ptid=5

Note that for a given pipe size the hole you need for a Sch 80 bulkhead is larger than the hole you need for a lightweight bulkhead. However the Sch 80 bulkheads are a lot stronger.

Most manufactured aquarium products tend to use lightweight bulkheads. They are a lot less expensive.

^ What he said. Bulk reef supply is one shop that does a very good job of listing both pipe size and installation hole size for all of the bulkheads they sell. You should be able to find something that will fit correctly there.

-Justin
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I want to go with Sch 80 bulkheads on the bottom as more water pressure will be applied there than on the top of the tank where the returns are. With that said, what size bulkhead should I go with? I believe I can get away with a 1.75 inch bulkhead, but am not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrygel View Post
^ What he said. Bulk reef supply is one shop that does a very good job of listing both pipe size and installation hole size for all of the bulkheads they sell. You should be able to find something that will fit correctly there.

-Justin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	58b44491-d1ec-49a0-aeac-483e4a6be688.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	650082  

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhe...8b184fabb.html

according to BRS if you have 1.75 diameter hole you need a 3/4" schd 80 bulkhead.
3/4" SCH 80 TxT Bulkhead Dimensions (see diagram)
A - 59mm/2.32"
B - 71mm/2.79"
C - 41mm/1.61" (Installation hole size)
Use our 42mm Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit for DIY installation.

C is the dimension you want to look at for your drilled hole.

Also, DO NOT use silicon on the threads. As you found out, it is a mess to deal with and if you have to use silicon to stop leaks in the bulkhead you have an installation issue. A bulkhead should seal itself simply by tightening up the threaded ring. AND sometimes they can leak by over-tightening the ring. I like to start by getting them hand tight(very hand tight) but check for leaks and go from there.

Lastly I bought one of these at Home Creepo....I don't use it much but when I do its worth its weight in gold!
Channellock 9 in. Oil-Filter and PVC Slip-Joint Pliers-209 - The Home Depot

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great, thank you very much for the help! For the overflow box itself, do they sell a strainer to go into the bulkhead to avoid fish being filtered through or even overly large debris? Additionally, do you have any logical idea how to seal off the other bulkhead? Should I use a twist valve or do they make an actual cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Bulkhead Schedule 80 Slip x Thread (Slip on the Flange/Head side) - Bulk Reef Supply

according to BRS if you have 1.75 diameter hole you need a 3/4" schd 80 bulkhead.
3/4" SCH 80 TxT Bulkhead Dimensions (see diagram)
A - 59mm/2.32"
B - 71mm/2.79"
C - 41mm/1.61" (Installation hole size)
Use our 42mm Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit for DIY installation.

C is the dimension you want to look at for your drilled hole.

Also, DO NOT use silicon on the threads. As you found out, it is a mess to deal with and if you have to use silicon to stop leaks in the bulkhead you have an installation issue. A bulkhead should seal itself simply by tightening up the threaded ring. AND sometimes they can leak by over-tightening the ring. I like to start by getting them hand tight(very hand tight) but check for leaks and go from there.

Lastly I bought one of these at Home Creepo....I don't use it much but when I do its worth its weight in gold!
Channellock 9 in. Oil-Filter and PVC Slip-Joint Pliers-209 - The Home Depot
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

yes they make a strainer that fits into the bulkead both threaded and slip. Be aware, you plug it up and you can get big mess!If you don't have any emergency drain.

couple ways to plug a bulkhead

On the outside:
If slip:
simply put a short piece of pipe into the bulkhead and glue(PVC glue NOT silicon)---cap it. If you think you are ever going to use it again, make the insert piece is long enough that you could saw off the cap and stick a coupler on it so you can add pipe again.
If threaded screw in a PVC fitting and cap it.

On the wet side:
screw in PVC fittings for the cap.
If its slip on the wet side, see above.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel12490 View Post
Great, thank you very much for the help! For the overflow box itself, do they sell a strainer to go into the bulkhead to avoid fish being filtered through or even overly large debris? Additionally, do you have any logical idea how to seal off the other bulkhead? Should I use a twist valve or do they make an actual cap?
Yep: Bulkhead Overflow Strainers - Bulkheads - Plumbing - Pumps & Plumbing - Bulk Reef Supply

It would make sense for someone to make a cap, but I haven't seen one (haven't really looked though).

I think that your tank was probably originally drilled for a 1" ABS bulkhead, they have a 1.66" installation hole diameter, so it would be a little closer fit than the 3/4" SCH80. I haven't installed a wide variety of bulkheads, so not sure how close the fit needs to be, but it might be the case that the lower quality bulkhead with a closer fit (1" ABS) would give you a better seal than the higher quality, but looser fit (3/4" SCH80) bulkhead.

-Justin
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay cool, thank you for all the advice everyone. Just ordered two 1 inch ABS bulkheads, should be here by the weekend. Do you guys recommend all of my plumbing being done with PVC pipe or can I use the acrylic hose to get by? I don't want my tank standing out too much from the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrygel View Post
Yep: Bulkhead Overflow Strainers - Bulkheads - Plumbing - Pumps & Plumbing - Bulk Reef Supply

It would make sense for someone to make a cap, but I haven't seen one (haven't really looked though).

I think that your tank was probably originally drilled for a 1" ABS bulkhead, they have a 1.66" installation hole diameter, so it would be a little closer fit than the 3/4" SCH80. I haven't installed a wide variety of bulkheads, so not sure how close the fit needs to be, but it might be the case that the lower quality bulkhead with a closer fit (1" ABS) would give you a better seal than the higher quality, but looser fit (3/4" SCH80) bulkhead.

-Justin
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'm looking at how you measured it appears that you aren't right on the inside of that hole. Looks more like you've got a 1.5" diameter there.

Sch 80, Sch 40 and Sch 200 are all the same outside diameter. All fittings will work on all 3 pipes. What happens is the inside pipe diameter is smaller on the 40 and smaller yet on the 80.

To seal off the other hole you can use a bulkhead there and a pvc plug. They have both a slip and a threaded. I'd use both bulkheads however just for the increased flow.

I prefer threaded connections on my overflows. Some like the glue but I get a bug and start rearranging so threaded for me.

Bump:
Quote:

Don't forget that there is supposed to be a gasket on the bulkhead. Hand tight with the gasket and there should be no leakers.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I'd use both bulkheads however just for the increased flow.
or at least an emergency.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
or at least an emergency.
Or that.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I updated my bulkheads to 1inch ABS and sealed them off with two threaded pvc caps from home depot. I filled the tank and thought all was well. A few hours later, I go back to my garage to check in on the tank and well the bulkheads are dripping. They seem to be dripping from the round seal, where nut and gasket meet on the glass. Should I have used silicone around the seal? I was under the assumption that if I use a nut and gasket properly the seal should be water tight. Each minute this tank leaks, the fiancee is winning this battle as she advised against a used tank . On a plus, all other areas in the tank that are silicone appear to be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Or that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode