Planting Tommorow :-Z... help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Planting Tommorow :-Z... help

Hi again everyone,
I have recently set up my nano tank (30l) aquarium, and it has been set up for around 6 weeks now. I needed the tank set up straight away, so that I could transfer my fish from a similar tank ASAP.
However, in the past 6 weeks, only landscape rocks, riccia on slate and the substrate, along with the DIY co2, are in the tank itself.

I intend to set up a Iwagumi style aquarium with Glosso/ range of foreground plants etc and have just ordered a large plant collection to do so, which will be coming tommorow :-Z.

Would it be easier for me to drain the aquarium and put the fish in the seperate tank, for planting or would it be okay, to plant with the fish and the water already in the tank??- what are your thoughts? Which way is easier?
Thanks for your help,
hathj29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well, if you drained the tank, then I would think you couldn't just put the fish in after filling it back up, because it would have to cycle, unless you used the same water, I would just move the fish into another tank for a while and let the plants grow a little and then add fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I haven't planted a small tank or an empty tank but I don't think I would like the fish in the tank or it completely empty. Plants stick to my hands and would pull out while I worked and I wouldn't know if my planting technique is working until the tank water was supporting the plants. I would find a container that would hold half the water and all the fish, move that and plant in a half empty tank. If the water got really dirty I could siphon out half of the tank water and once the fish and reserved tank water were back in I would have only made a 25% water change.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
take the fish out and drain the tank AAAALMOST down the the substrate. Put the fish back in when you're done planting. No extra cycle, because the substrate stayed wet and you've basically done a 100% water change is all. (actually you can save a lot of your original water and put it back in with the fish and it'll be like you did a regular water change and plants magically appeared) :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all your opinions. I will take your idea jargonchipmunk, and will take the fish out and put them in a separate tank, draining the tank. Will this keep all the beneficial bacteria in the tank (in the substrate)? Tomorrows gonna be a looong day :-)!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

I planted my tank yesterday, i drained it half way and then used tweezers and fingers to plant, never took out the fish they didnt seem to bother too much it was the shrimp and frogs that were always trying to eat me as i planted that gave me the problems...If i had another tank tho i woulda siphoned the water into it and transfered the fish leaving a few inches of water above the gravel.

I should really take a few pics so i can see it develop...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode