I was lied to by my LFS, now I'm stuck. - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was lied to by my LFS, now I'm stuck.

I've tried many different fish combos for my 29 gallon aquarium. It went from being planted with a community (didn't like it), to housing 3 juvinile Blood parrots (can't upgrade so I gave them back), and now to 2 angelfish. I found these angels at my LFS that is family owned so I figured I would get good advice. The woman there bred these angelfish herself and told me I could keep 2 in a 29 gallon tank for the rest of their lives. I feel like I was given misinformation about that. These angels are about the size of my hand and they already looked cramped to me, not to mention all the poop they produce. I'm worried that once they get bigger they will either 1) die from bad water quality due to over stocking or 2) fight with eachother untill one or both die from stress. I called the pet store and she refused to take them back claiming that my tank could be contaminated and regardless would not give me a refund. I feel like I was lied to just to make a sale. So what should I do? Sell them to someone with a bigger tank on here? They are wonderfull fish that I'm pretty attached to. They get along fabulously, but I know this may not always be this way as they get bigger. I was just planning on putting my betta in the 29 as he would be very happy with all the space and maintance would be a breeze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160617_142907.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	649425  

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
They won't get bigger than your hand and the key to good water quality is water change. I don't see a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

I've found them to usually grow to the tanks size..
And if they are getting along now
Quote:
These angels are about the size of my hand
they should be fine...

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
They won't get bigger than your hand and the key to good water quality is water change. I don't see a problem.
Thanks mistergreen. I can't find myself getting rid of them. I just worry as my fish are just as loved as my other pets. I'll keep up my 50% weekly water changes.

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
if it's just the 2 angels,they'll even breed in a tank that size,plus they are pretty much done growing.They must not be 2 males,or they'd probably be fighting.I used to breed pairs of angels in 29's.You could always add a BN pleco,thought then you'd want to put in a fresh piece of boiled zucchini every day.

you could always go to a larger tank if you like.Do your weekly water changes and they'll be fine.

edit: lol,I see several of us posted at the same time.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Angels dont need much swimming space. As long as you keep up on water quality, they'll be fine. And don't worry so much about e aggression. If they're male/female, chances are they'll pair up and start spawning for you. If F/F, they may pair and attempt to spawn. Keep an eye if one lays eggs without pairing with the other, there may be some aggression. If you have tall structure-plants, wood, etc- the other one will be able to get out of sight. If M/M you may get lucky, and the dominant one won't be too aggressive, and they will live together fine. With no females to fight over, aggression would likely be limited. Of course, they are cichlids, and everything I just said can be turned upside down by the individuals' personalities.

For what it's worth, I had two simultaneous spawnings with two pairs, in a 65 with medium planting. Plus, there were two singles in the tank. I bought six waiting for them to pair, and they did before I had a chance to get them out. A lot of territorialism, but no damaging violence.

And if push comes to shove, and you want to move them, let me know.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Of course they'll live, etc, but to me they need more space and aesthetically it doesn't have any appeal to have a large fish in a small aquarium, but everyone is different in that regard. I posted this pic in the other thread about Angels. This is one Angel in a 46G. Your tank is 6" shorter in length and 3" in height. Once the tank has some plants and/or hardscape there is considerably less room. If your simply breeding Angels without anything else in the tank it's a slightly different story.

thedood, thedood, Nazasaki and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would use that as an excuse to get a bigger tank lol

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I was about to say breeders use about 10gal per fish as a minimum, but, I see someone suggested this already.
I'd get the deepest tank I could for them though. Being ambush predators, they hang around more than swim around, although that changes at feeding time.

Don't overfeed your angels, they don't poop that much, they do leave a big poop pile when they attend a nest though, as they are staying in one place.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

At least to me they look cramped. I kept my decor to a minimum that way they would have as muchroom as possible yet the tank would still be pleasing to look at (don't mind the cloudy water, I just did a w/c)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I would use that as an excuse to get a bigger tank lol
As much as I would love to get a bigger tank I have no space for it. Once I geT settled into my own place I plan on a 75 cichlid setup

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
Angels dont need much swimming space. As long as you keep up on water quality, they'll be fine. And don't worry so much about e aggression. If they're male/female, chances are they'll pair up and start spawning for you. If F/F, they may pair and attempt to spawn. Keep an eye if one lays eggs without pairing with the other, there may be some aggression. If you have tall structure-plants, wood, etc- the other one will be able to get out of sight. If M/M you may get lucky, and the dominant one won't be too aggressive, and they will live together fine. With no females to fight over, aggression would likely be limited. Of course, they are cichlids, and everything I just said can be turned upside down by the individuals' personalities.

For what it's worth, I had two simultaneous spawnings with two pairs, in a 65 with medium planting. Plus, there were two singles in the tank. I bought six waiting for them to pair, and they did before I had a chance to get them out. A lot of territorialism, but no damaging violence.

And if push comes to shove, and you want to move them, let me know.
I see your also from the lehigh valley. I live in Bath. If I were even to sell these guys what should I ask for them? I payed $15 a piece. I even debated about taking then to a fish store but I will feel bad if they sit in a tiny tank and go to someone who won't give them the care they need. I really don't care about the money, I just want them to be as happy and healthy as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160704_132039.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	649433  

post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
The picture of the tank and fish look fine. They don't look too big. I keep a breeding pair of angels in a 20G high tank barebottom and they love it in there. As long as they are male / female mated pair pairing up, you'll be fine. Otherwise you may see a little aggression.

I'd only suggest that you add more real fast growing plants since it's a planted tank. This will help your water quality. Aside from that just keep up on the water changes and they'll grow to be beautiful and start breeding. 29G for a pair of angels is perfectly fine. If your water is getting bad, then you need to step up on water changes. 60% weekly is usually plenty. Feeding once a day. Also, plants.
Nordic and Nordic like this.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
The picture of the tank and fish look fine. They don't look too big. I keep a breeding pair of angels in a 20G high tank barebottom and they love it in there. As long as they are male / female mated pair pairing up, you'll be fine. Otherwise you may see a little aggression.

I'd only suggest that you add more real fast growing plants since it's a planted tank. This will help your water quality. Aside from that just keep up on the water changes and they'll grow to be beautiful and start breeding. 29G for a pair of angels is perfectly fine. If your water is getting bad, then you need to step up on water changes. 60% weekly is usually plenty. Feeding once a day. Also, plants.
I had plants in this tank as well as a few others for quite some time. I had all low tech plants and after monums of battling brown diatom algae and the plants not looking as nice as I wanted them too and dumping money into ferts that did nothing I gave up and tore out the plants. The only "planted" tank I have is a 5.5 gallon betta setup with about 30 marimo, some wisteria and brazilian moneywort that I have floating.

post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My angels love eating elodea (oxygen plant). I always try to have some floating for them.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the tips guys! I glad I have this forum as a resource. No more listening to my lfs. I'll keep them since they get along so well and add some floating plants for cover and a snack.

post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
I've found them to usually grow to the tanks size...
When I worked in a pet store in FL years ago, we had a kid around 10 yrs old bring in an angel he had grown from a small juvinile in a 10 gallon tank. The fish had grown so large that its fins touched the top of the water and the gravel at the same time. We made a big deal of commending him on obviously taking such good care of his tank as to be able to grow the fish to that size in such a small aquarium, and gave him store credit for it, which he used toward more appropriately sized fish.

As for fish growing only to the size of the tank they're in, I remember reading somewhere that they secrete a hormone into the water that inhibits growth at higher concentrations, which I surmise keeps them from excessive overcrowding when confined to seasonal pools in their natural environments. This kid must have really stayed on top of his water changes!

Olskule

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode