New to Forum & Planted Aquarium; Detritus Worms - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to Forum & Planted Aquarium; Detritus Worms

Hello folks! My name is Jonathan. While I have been an aquarium hobbyist for over 15 years keeping exotic freshwater fish, my latest project is a first.

I have set up a 72 gallon fully planted aquarium and I seem to be having an issue with detritus worms. This is my first encounter with these parasites and read it is a sign of poor maintenance of the aquarium. However, this is not the case in my tank.

Here are the stats on the tank.

Cycle: In its final days.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Ammonium: .50
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 30 ppm
p.H. 6.4
K.H. 3

No CO2 (will hook up in Aug/Sept)
Dose: Iron root tabs, potassium, and trace minerals.
Light 35W (210 watts equivalent), 6500k - 10,000k adjustable LED.
Wet/Dry filter

I have already been through the ammonia & Nitrite spike. I am waiting for the last bit of ammonium to covert.

This is a soft water aquarium for South American fish.

20% water change every 4 days. I use a small airline tube to clean around substrate so not to disturb my dwarf hair grass and baby tears that have started carpeting.

I have 6 otocinclus catfish which have been feeding on the diatoms and algae - no additional feedings. That is it for fish.

Do you think that the detritus worms could have hitch-hiked on some of the plants? I purchased a dwarf red water lily from lfs and had 3 snails find their way from that plant. I just added the plant last week and didn't have a problem with the pests until then. Or is this a normal occurrence in a planted tank since I don't have fish that would feed on them yet (Cory cats). There are not that many worms but I figure they multiply quickly.

The plants though are growing great. I am surprised because of the lack of pressurized CO2. The first day I started with 1 small tissue culture of Alternanthera reineckii. 30 days later, I have propagated the plant into 14 healthy strong specimens. I am astonished by how quickly they grow!

Any help would be great!

I hope to stick around and learn.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Usually they appear from over feeding. And usually otos don't survive in a new tank.
I think once you add fish you will be fine.
My guppies eat them when I stir up the substrate.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Don't worry about them, unless you're creeped out by their look or presence. They are not parasites, and offer the fish the occasional live snack.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Did you use ECO-complete? if so those are "enhanced root symbionts",lol. I get them for a day or so in every tank I've set up with ECO.they'll go back in the substrate or get eaten,don't worry about em,they're harmless.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
Did you use ECO-complete? if so those are "enhanced root symbionts",lol. I get them for a day or so in every tank I've set up with ECO.they'll go back in the substrate or get eaten,don't worry about em,they're harmless.
No, I used API plant media for ponds. I used Jobe's organic root tabs for the first week before adding plants. I got 50 tabs for $6.00 and they last for 8 weeks.

It works great but the only drawback is it is the substrate is lightweight and easily gets sucked up when cleaning the water.

I almost used Eco-complete. But the price was the deciding factor. Eco-complete looks amazing and the plants love it.

Bump: I guess they're not a big deal then. Phew. Though I don't really like the look of them, hopefully once the tank cycles the fish I buy will eat them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode